Intel Broadwell-E

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by im late, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Ash_

Ash_ Member

For the memory i use this http://hcidesign.com/memtest/ the pro version had it for ages and the stress test i use Asus RealBench 2.43 selected 8 gig of RAM for 2 hrs and also used the benchmark option in that app to get the bench score. Yea the old TI black will go soon but it can still do BF4 at 90-100 FPS maxed out with SFX except when i am in a vehicle and it blows up will drop to 75-80 FPS. Just waiting to see when/if 1080 Ti happen, would love to get the Gigabyte 1080 waterforce it would work well and have the looks in this case if the Ti don't happen

2. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Ok cool, thank you for that. It looks like hci memtest recommends running overnight. I'll read some guides for this before commencing, probably tonight. I'll probably jump straight to hcimemtest first since it seems to be the more powerful tool that is able to likely capture any faults. I'll run a quick RealBench benchmark option tonight, finalise with Realbench over the weekend.

It sounds like you're staying with the green team. Man, I strongly recommend getting a gsync capable screen when you get a 1080ti (or a Titan XP if you are impatient like me :D). I cried when I first played BF4 with my new set up.

3. Ash_

Ash_ Member

With memtest just be sure to run 6 instances of it at the same time if you use the free version. After i get the new GPU i want to get a 34 in 1440 curved monitor, G-Sync would be cool but expensive. Will be interested to see your bench score with that Titan it only takes about 5 min to do the RealBench one. Oh when you do the stress test don't make the same mistake i did and leave your screen saver on it will crash straight away

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  4. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Yeap I will ruin hci mem test overnight. From what I read I need to have my instance count the same as my core count, so 6. I'll check performance in task manager for available memory at the time of execution and use that value and divide it by 6 and set that number across each instance. Is that correct? I'll buy the paid version, it's only 5 bucks anyway might as well support these guys.

Ill run the RealBench before I kick off hci memtest and post results. All results will be stock. I'm allowing stability test for the next week or two first. If aokman and several others in their pascal thread can wow me with their EK waterblocks, I'll most likely head down that path with the GPU. The 6850 will probably go through just a mild one, 4.2 seems easily doable with these chips.

Hahaha good tip, I always disable screen savers anyway. One of the first things I do after a build is set my power management too, disable hdd sleep and hibernation stuff and set screen to turn off after 20min.

Hrmmmm 34" @ 1440, you might need 4x AA with that screen size I would imagine. My 27" @ 1440 seems to only need 2x but I set it to 4x anyway and a lot of the times the Titan will max out to my Acer Predators 165, hehehe :D But at this res I can't tell the difference between 2x and 4x. But jeez, 34" would be bloody awesome :D

5. Ash_

Ash_ Member

The paid version will start the 6 instances automatically and i leave it on the default setting of all unused ram and let it go :thumbup:. I also left my system on stock settings for awhile before i started to OC 4.2 should be easy, in the edgeup guide posted earlier in the thread they have pics of a 4.2 oc on asus bios at the end of the review

6. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Sweet, even better! Thanks again, much appreciated!

7. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Ok here's a RealBench bench score. I can't provide a link because I got a "Unable to properly parse system specs" message after the bench completed running.

http://i.imgur.com/4gG7U3S.jpg

8. Ash_

Ash_ Member

Yea i get that error to, still nice score for a stock system

9. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

What was your score for your current rig?

10. Ash_

Ash_ Member

currently @ 145312

11. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Ran hci memtest pro with the command memtestpro.exe /tr /s123 /lc:\log.txt. I expected it to spawn 12 instances, but it spawned 10 instead, ram and CPU were near maxed out. I added the total number of memory allocated per instance in the log file and the total is 30,430MB. Got out of bed this morning to check to find only 9 instances only showing, the HWMonitor and Task Manager moved slightly, weird... So far, runtime is 6.5hrs. Logs don't show any errors. App and System logs are clear in my event logs so nothing closed abnormally, is this normal HCI memtest behavior?

Not sure how accurate HWMonitor is, max temps were very brief last night, what you see in the "Value" column is basically where it was sitting when CPU/RAM were near 100% usage last night and as they were when I took a screenshot this morning. Corsair H115i profile is set to "Balanced", I think these temps are on the higher side considering it's running stock speeds.

[​IMG]

http://i.imgur.com/gVt3l7l.jpg

Edit: I'm using a few apps right now, while tests are still running. Fuck me this thing does not sweat at all. It feels as if no tests are running at all!

Edit 2: I'll re-run these tests now, will be back in 12 hours. I'll change Corsair profile to the Standard profile (slightly louder) and see what the results are. So far, 0 errors for nearly 7hrs of run time.

Edit 3: Just reran it this time without the /s123 switch. Whatever the result is when I get back will be what it is. By the time I get home it should have completed about 12 hours. Weird thing is that this time around it spawned 13 instances. I'll leave it at that for now. My cleaner comes in this morning while I'm at work, hope she doesn't turn the computer off.... I've locked the PC and disabled the Win key on my keyboard. I switched temp monitoring using AIDA64 (trial).

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  12. Ash_

Ash_ Member

Don't know whats going on with memtest there might have to run a cmd to put it back to default.
    Mine has the temp spikes too where it will jump for a second then drop, i have read in other forums about the same thing i don't worry about it and just watch to see where it runs most of the time.
    With the H115i this is what i do, may or may not be good for you when i ran memtest and the realbench bench i had the pump on quiet as i do for normal operations and only put it on performance for stress testing and with the fan i run a custom curve . I know you will ask so here it is
    1st dot 25% @20 C
    2nd 39% @31 c
    3rd 55% @42 C
    4th 74% @ 51 C
    5th 88% @60 C
    6th 100% @ 70 c
    Pretty aggressive but i game with a headset so i don't hear it and it's not that bad anyway but i like to run my gear cool as possible and i have my case fans running on the 2nd speed of the 3 way switch on the case but all cases are different so you will have different temps

13. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Thanks will keep that in mind! I have already left the house 4hrs ago, and by the time I get back it would have ran for 12hrs. When I left as well as during the execution my temps were hovering about 50 to mid 50s across the board with its max reaching mid 60s. Will report back when I get home.

14. glnn_23

glnn_23 Member

New memory arrived today. 64Gb (8x8Gb) TridentZ 3200C14.
    Pretty happy with them so far.
    Got them at 3500C15 @1.35v

Click to view full size!

15. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

I'm pretty happy with this result I think, temps did spike as I said but very brief. Total runtime was 11hrs 45mins, just short of 12 hours. Temps I think are reasonable for stock? Zero errors, I guess that's a relief. 13 instances with over 500% pass on each one.

[​IMG]

:thumbup:

Bigger image: http://i.imgur.com/Vmx8K3K.jpg

16. Scum

Scum Member

Nice results, i have the same memory 64 and 32GB versions
    so far very happy with it, no compatibility issues, oc well and very stable on RVE boards

17. Aratahu

Aratahu Member

Argh. Not having a lot of luck with my system. As noted before, my 6850k died 7 or so weeks ago, but was replaced by Scorptec.

Today I saw that the Asus Strix X99 #1003 bios had been released a week ago, so decided to flash it from the bios - as I had seen memory error issues intermittently (two times). Applied ok, or so it would appear, but it never rebooted after, as in never posted / output any video.

Tried stripping the system down to the basics, all drives & GPUs removed but never got past the point of where the VGA led was lit up in the boot process. CMOS reset, reflashed older bios, a different GPU altogether, removed all peripherals, shuffled DDR4 sticks (down to 1, as well as to 0) all to no avail.

So took it back to Scorptec, suspecting it might be a RMA on the motherboard - but still pretty bummed with my luck. In contrast I never had any downtime on my old 2600k system, which I'm using right now as the backup.

18. Ash_

Ash_ Member

I flashed 1003 with a usb stick in the port in the IO on the back worked fine, you should be able to recover it using that if you have trouble next time

19. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

I want the 2x16 3200c14 set

:thumbup:

20. Aratahu

Aratahu Member

Yeah I tried that to no avail. So did Scorptec, who's sending it back to Asus.