Intel Broadwell-E

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by im late, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

What sort of board are you looking for?

I have a small stash of X99 motherboards.. for the right price.. I would be prepared to let one go..

else I think Matthew Kane has a X99 sabretooth he has offered to others in the past..

2. cvidler

cvidler Member

needs: 8-dimms, M.2 PCIe x4, 3x PCIe x16 slots (as 16, 8, 8 minimum), lots of fan headers, at least 1 high amperage capable (run a water pump off one).

don't need: LEDs, fancy overclocking support, wifi/bluetooth etc.

damn things running now. died last night, wouldn't boot again, left it overnight, wouldn't boot, came home from work, booted 3rd try.
    it's running an ooooold BIOS, but has so for years, but won't take an update either from the online service, or via USB stick, says all the files are invalid, tried numerous version. can't pick anything wrong with it when it works, has done 24 hrs memtext and 24hrs cpuburn. but died last night mid youtube video

3. OJR

OJR Member

Sounds like you need a Rampage V Extreme or similar.

4. cvidler

cvidler Member

I'm looking at workstation/server class boards

Shocked to see none of SuperMicro's X99 or C612 boards support M.2.

So will probably grab a X99-E-10G-WS, means I can ditch the PCIe 10GE NIC.

Or considering that's a $1000+ board,
    I may check what it'll cost to grab a X299 and a 9800 or something.

5. OJR

OJR Member

6. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Any caps bulging?

7. krhm

krhm Member

I posted on whirlpool about this but I may need some more hardened CPU enthusiasts to advise on this

some notes:
    I think I've fried my broadwell x99 platform 6850k cpu
    As my work load is mostly geared towards virtualisation I'm thinking about getting another 64gb memory for the strix x99 and putting a E5 2690 v4 or E5 2697/98/99 v4.
    So they are 16-22 core cpus with 2ghz + clock speed.

Couple of things that were brought to my attention were, someone linked this site
    https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/which-x99-mb-to-pick-for-xeon-es-processors.239230/

that thread suggests Asus or Gigabyte boards do not play well with the v4 ES xeon cpus.
    Not clear on non ES and also not clear on v3. that'll run on 2011-3

The thread also mentions you can turbo boost all cores considerably, 30-40%, with the v3 haswell using a EFI driver.

Is that an option? Should I be looking at a 2699 v3 to OC with EFI driver, will that work on my asus strix x99?
    Do I have to get non ES/QS CPUs for it to work?
    Will that EFI driver work on Asus Strix x99 and would that mean I should get v3 haswell-ep? instead of v4 broadwell-ep?
    Or should I just get non ES/QS v4 xeons and it will work?

Any assistance appreciated as I would love to get a 20 core xeon, grab another 64gb of mem and run this as a beast hyperv host

8. OJR

OJR Member

Pretty sure QS/ES CPUs will not work on Asus boards anyway. Kelvin will know for sure though.

9. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

Only have the one ES CPU..(24 core Broadwell-e) yep.. doesn't work on my Asus board..fine on my Asrock X99itx..

I would personally ditch the Strix X99... this particular board is renowned for killing Broadwell-E cpus..(and repeatedly as well)
    No point keeping a $120 motherboard.. that could potentially fry a $500-$2000 cpu...

I can't really advice you about ES / QS CPUS.. but they are basically a minefield..
    Nearly impossible to sell later.. at a reasonably price.. and may have weird bugs / "features".. unless you get one with the same stepping as the release CPUs..
    Sometimes its.. hard enough to troubleshoot these server / HEDT platforms.. no point adding another variable..

The Broadwell-E CPU.. are generally much more expensive than the Haswell-E Cpus.. anyr eason, why not to go with Haswell-E and save few bucks.. (and prorably enable the Aswell-E all core turbo overclok)

The Serve the Home often have some good info..
    https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php

Going Dual CPU to get the high core count.. might be a cheaper/ more viable proposition, but you will need reg. ECC ram..

Have you seen this for sale..?
    https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/asus-server-mobo-dual-2011-3-cpu-ram.1270326/

An older 16core threadripper or dual 2011 setup.. should be on your watch list as well..
    Else waitng for the 3950/3950X.. 16 core Ryzen 2 which should be release before the end of the could be considered.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    OJR likes this.
  10. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

I can't believe it but I'm anticipating that my Broadwell on my main rig will go to my unRaid server when the time comes (in a couple of years) to build a new main battle-station.

11. krhm

krhm Member

Right. Thanks for the detailed reply.

I'm happy to go with Haswell-E for this board.

So I could just get a Haswell-E non ES/QS Xeon V3 and it will work in my strix x99?

It would be an easier option for me as I could get a 20 core for a bit cheaper and just add another 64gb memory to this 8 channel strix board and be done with it

Just concerned I will have issues with this CPU on this board?

If it is a non ES/QS CPU, then it should be ok?

Would v4 non ES/QS be ok then, or more of a gamble then v3 that will work?

Plus, I can run the EFI driver to run the all core boost if I choose v3 haswell-e?

If it is rolling the dice I may just ditch it all and go EPYC Rome or Ryzen 3000

It is after all just trying to save the board as you said

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  12. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

here is the CPU support list for the Strix x99
    https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-X99-GAMING/HelpDesk_CPU/

the Haswell-EP and Broadwell EP CPUs appear to be supported.

Haswell-EP goes to a maximum of 18 cores.. and Broadwell-EP to 22 cores..

I would be most fearful.. of your X99 Strix killing such an expensive CPU.. given your 6850K.. has already died a premature death..
    the Dice rolling, is in regards to your motherboard the strix x99..

I guess.. if you are insistent on using your Strix x99.. (Though I would NOT recommended using this motherboard)
    something like this might be suitable
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Intel-X...412107?hash=item5219c13a8b:g:3~gAAOSwjlBcjZsc

Setting up the Haswell-EP all core overclock.. is a bit complicated (I have NOT done it myself)..
    Involving modifying / hacking the bios (removing a bunch of microcode updates) and and loading modfied EFI drivers..(beyond, my basic capabilities) and given your posts and questions... I presume, it would be well beyond your capabilities to perform safely as well)..

looks like a proper E5-2696/2699V3 CPU will be around $1000+ and a E5-2699V4 CPU $3000+ ...
    I do have a E5-2675 V3 around somewhere, 16 core 32 thread 1.8ghz
    http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Xeon/Intel-Xeon E5-2675 v3.html
    probably a little too slow.. on the single core performance for you I imagine..

I think you really, need to decide, what sort of budget you have.. and what you are trying to achieve..
    people going that many cores / thread usually push towards ECC ram as well...

Epyc Rome.. is going to cost you a fortune.. Ryzen 12 core / 16 core (TBA) will be much more affordable.. compared to the new intel stuff.., but potentially could have its own issues.

I dont think I can any much more advice,
    I have built / played around with a question of multiple core / core machines, just for fun / because I could.. but really have no experience in actually using them to their full potential...

Dual 2011 machines.. can be very affordable... I've managed to restore a few for around the $500-$600.. given the dual Sandybridge EP cpus are so cheap now (2x 8 cores).. plus the memory is relatively inexpensive...

I've just realised you are in Melbourne as well.. I could potentially part with a dual CPU (1366, 2011 or 2011-3) setup... if you want to head that way instead...