1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Intel Broadwell-E

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by im late, Nov 16, 2015.

1. OP
    OP
    im late

im late Member

Strix board only has one metal braced safe slot......

A lot of people buy X99 for multiple GPU setups......

All x16 slots should have been safe slots.....

2. dasa2

dasa2 Member

bunch of useless features adding cost when all i want is a reliable overclocking mb with decent audio and low price\power use

3. headin2001

headin2001 Member

Trudat, agree 100% on that, why only just one??? Guess they are thinking of the majority of buyers that insist on having an Uber CPU and skimp on one high-end GPU

Should have decent audio on the Strix, didnt look to close at the others because I only really follow ROG boards myself. Overclocking is similar on pretty much every board these days. Low price???? You're in the wrong thread for that, this is HEDT/Wallet-Breaker!!

4. OJR

OJR Member

Decent audio will never happen on a motherboard. Get a USB DAC and be done with it. I guess it all depends on your definition of decent though.

Also chances are if you're buying into HEDT, you have the cash for a dedicated audio solution.

5. yanman

yanman Member

That's the only bit that matters. Guessing 95% don't care about the difference.

6. Ck21

Ck21 Member

+1

I'll add to that: no shitty 3rd party controllers (killer network chips, asmedia/marvell crap) and a decent matx board layout.

Onboard sound has come along way, esp with the highend realtek chips (when implemented properly). It will never come close for audiophiles, but for the rest of us, its pretty close when paired with decent speakers :thumbup:

7. ShaneHm2

ShaneHm2 Member

Assuming if the current X99 motherboards will be compatible with Broadwell-E with a BIOS update, is there going to be any new features or true benefits such as more PCI-e lanes ?

I was going to with the current 5xxx series but since I saw this coming out in June/ July with the Broadwell-E

8. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

moar cores isn't a benefit?

I'd guess that the baby 6xxx's with the same number of cores as 5xxx's either factory clock higher or use less watts. More cache maybe, probably better memory controllers too.

9. ShaneHm2

ShaneHm2 Member

I know that there will be more benefits with the CPU's. But I am more looking at the motherboard side of things

10. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Ah, gotcha. Given its still using the same x99 chipset, I'd expect a $2-300 sticker on the boxes to boast support of 6xxx chips.
    Maybe an updated board with different coloured LEDs or even updated peripheral chips (sound/lan/USB3.1.1.1.1a) but its reaching.
    Might get more PCIe lanes if they chuck a switch chip on the board.

11. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Wow US$1700 (Silicon Lottery) for the 6950X .... Im out on that one .... :tired:

What do you think the entry level Broadwell-E cpu price will be?

:thumbup:

12. PureFire

PureFire Member

Considering they havent been officially launched yet, the price isnt set and would be heavily inflated.

13. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  14. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

The 6900K is pretty damn tempting. 8C/16T, 3.7 Boost, 20Mb L3. A die shrunk, cheaper, higher clocked 5960x :lol: :thumbup:

15. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Shame the lowest 2 are still 6 core, question is would you go a 6800K over a 6700K? Also a shame x99 motherboards are hard to find second hand.

I guess I will watch the fun from outside.

16. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

6 cores is still 2 more than what people have in the mainstream platforms and are barely used as far as games go so mostly the extra 2 cores are useless.

Me personally, I always go for X58/X79/X99 platforms primarily because I keep these cpu/boards for a lot longer, in the good old days a new cpu/chipset release meant a large increase in performance (e.g. Q6600 > I7-920) but not any more as the improvements are incremental, primarily I use them as gaming machines and once they age out I use them for things like a NAS as they tend to have a lot of SATA or even SAS ports, the cpu's are priced about the same and the increase in price for the board from about $200-$250 for mainstream ones to $400-$500 X79/X99 one's doesn't really worry me at all.

Given that most people find a consumer board/CPU does just fine even with 2 video cards then its not hampered at all in an x8/x8 config as its now PCI-e version 3 so plenty fast enough for 99% of people and perhaps only 1% of people buy X79/X99 gear, also used boards are "hard to find" because people probably like me hang onto them longer until they die, for example I have a friend who started off with his X58 with tri-GTX280's and then went to SLI-GTX580's and now has SLI-Titans in there, everything like BF4 and Battlefront still works really well with max settings at 1080p so he doesn't yet need to upgrade. Besides boards die well before the CPU's do so your unlikely to see many "orphan" X99 boards for sale, finally if your really lucky you may get to upgrade your I7-3820 to an e5-2670 for $100 or so which is not going to happen with a mainstream board and this gives your machine an even longer lease on life.

I'm sitting on X79 gear and can't really see the point of getting X99 at all, GTX1070's and GTX1080's are on my radar, hell even really cheap GTX980Ti's in a couple of months time will look interesting as well given that I've only got a 1080p monitor, and so I think 6950X's and 6900K's are pointless, if you need more cores then just get a brand new dual CPU C602 board for about $800 and put in two E5-2670's for another $200.

The other thing that worries me about 6950X's and 6900K's and especially the 6950X is what happens say you buy it when it comes out and the board shits itself in say 2 years time? If X99 goes the way of the dodo like X79 already has because X109 with Socket 2011-4 is the gear that is current at that time then you have this expensive $2K paperweight and no board to run it on, why do you think hyper-threading octo-core e5-2670's are selling for less than $100? If brand new X79 boards were still available I reckon those Xeons would be going for perhaps $300 to $400.

Cheers

17. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

I can see the point. You ain't fitting a C602 and dual xeons into a small case to build a mini godbox. x99 motherboards come in ITX, mATX and just slightly bigger than ATX formats. I don't think dual Xeon boards come any smaller than pizzabox.

You put in an RMA with a year to spare?

At a guess, for the same reason high end slot-2, 603, 604, 771 & 1366 chips ended up on the market dirt cheap - giant corporates with tens of thousands of systems do an EOL upgrade and they get dumped.

Enthusiasts have only really been paying attention since HEDT and Xeon product lines converged onto the same socket but its been happening forever. I built my first slot-2 dual Xeon rig with $100 CPUs that were $2000 only a year or two earlier.

Still rockin' my 980x/R3E monster as a 30TB file server. While its monstrously fast and extremely capable in this role, its unfortunately far too power hungry to run all the time.

I also used to migrate systems down through the family, but since NUCs have become so damn capable it seems kind of silly for Mum to have a Xeon chewing 100w to do the same job as a NUC at 5w.

18. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

I received a bios update last week for my AsRock X99M Fatality to support broadwell-e.

Also dissapointed no Rampage Gene or Strix Gene. WE want MATX DAMIT!

Not an issue since i will now only use horizontal motherboard mounting cases now, after using a couple of caselabs cases!

but since 99% of cases are vertical mount, agree, why not make them all safe slots? bemusing.

19. qwijibo

qwijibo Member

It really depends on what you use it for - I don't think there will be much practical difference in everyday computing - even SLI/xfire setups, and 6700k will have better single thread performance without overclocking.

X99 on the other hand does give you a somewhat esoteric future upgrade path to jebus-thats-a-lot-of-cores in 2-3 years when companies decomission all their 22 core broadwell servers. And it gives you quad channel memory ... which makes no practical difference except in benchmarks.

Personally, I went with a X99/5820k build over a 6700k one, but it was more of an e-peen decision than a practical one.

20. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Thats a good enough reason.