Intel Haswell CPU Overclocking Results and Discussion

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by aussie-revhead, Jun 1, 2013.

1. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Guys, this thread is to discuss and compare overclocking, gaming and benchmarking of the new Haswell line of cpu's. Anyone with results, pics, questions etc feel free to post up.

Who will be first to get an overclock up? Who will delid first? 5ghz first?

Post up boys (please include screenshots).

:thumbup:

2. FlameHead

FlameHead Member

Can we get a summary of the new Haswell K CPUs and package?

I can see that there are 2 K models but both are at the top of the price chart. It seems like an odd proposition for OCers compared back to the 2500K.

What mobo features to look out for overclocking?

Cooling options?

What RAM, in the other thread it made mention of "Haswelll optimised", what does that mean?

3. Only-got-an-i5

Only-got-an-i5 Member

What's the preferred method guys?

Just P95 stable for a few hours?

EDIT-

4770K - 4.8Ghz @1.3v - Water

VERY rough O/C, not even going to show a screen shot lmao. Gotta tweak around with it a lot for something a bit nicer. Pretty similar to a 3770K in terms of voltage and speed i'm thinking.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  4. di_entropy

di_entropy Member

What sort of temps?

I'm going to be upgrading from an i5-2500k @ 5Ghz on water and hoping to get close to the same clocks with an i7-4770k.

5. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Awesome, when you fine tune it be sure to put up some screenshots.

6. Only-got-an-i5

Only-got-an-i5 Member

I'm actually having a LOT of trouble making this thing boot at high multi's no matter what the voltage is.

7. M0r4h3us

M0r4h3us Member

hmmmm o/c not looking too good hey...

is it temps or just does not want to o/c

Cheers Alan.

8. DaveRS

DaveRS Member

9. Only-got-an-i5

Only-got-an-i5 Member

Not temps, just plain ol' won't boot/BSOD. I'm thinking I might need to switch to the OC or OC force board. I'm currently using a Z87X-UD3H and it might not like what i'm trying to do with it.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  10. Geno

Geno Member

Tried blk'ing from your stable multi?

11. desudesu

desudesu Member

im guessing that haswell also uses the cheap TIM, instead of soldering?

12. Geno

Geno Member

[​IMG]

13. Only-got-an-i5

Only-got-an-i5 Member

I'm playing around with lower blck and higher multi, wasn't home last night but tonight will have some more results.

Keen to delid but want to try and get as much as I can out of it before I do. :(

14. FlameHead

FlameHead Member

Not keen on delidding, how about lapping to just smooth out that heat spreader. It worked wonders for me on my Core 2... Is that still done?

15. SoulFire-Z

SoulFire-Z Member

De-lidding is done because instead of soldering on the heatspreader, they just use a bit of silicon to hold it down and then apply TIM to the die...

I can see no reason to upgrade for my i7-2600k in the forseeable future... I still have an i7-920 as a backup machine too.

Ahh the joys of Intel leading the pack with no real competition :upset:

16. Dev One

Dev One Member

The 2014 Haswell refresh is probably just going to be the same die but soldered on... Small clock bump too.

17. bob(nz)

bob(nz) Member

These CPU's run damn hot - not sure they are going to be a great upgrade from Ivy for Air and Water use - LN2 always a different story.

A lot more parameters to play with, and will take more effort and knowledge to clock than Sandy or Ivy. Get ready for lots of blue screens :)

Been playing with a retail CPU for a few days...

3000+ with the right memory an absolute breeze - perfect for the 4G 32M challenge, but not all CPU's are going to run 5G on air.....

Air cooling 4.7 HT on possible for multiple cinebench runs @1.33V - but CPU temp at 84 deg under full load. 2 Core Pi possible at 1.5V running 32M at 5G (~65 deg load)

Just started testing on LN2 (nothing too extreme at this stage). CB at -125 on this CPU, but need to start trying other voltage combos to try and move this further down (apparently -130 to -140 about the limit)

Able to run Cinebench 5.6G with 1.69V real vcore, but early days yet. Cant get anything bench stable at above 5.7G at these volts - but obviously I will need to join the 2v club if I want any decent results LOL

18. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

Yeah I'm getting about the same BobNZ.

Spent about 8 hours with Haswell on LN2 today. One chip was absolute crap, 5.8 seems to be the max, while the other will bench cinebench 4c 8t 5.8 1.74v, 6ghz max for 1m. Lots of variables to play around with, I was getting system shutdowns with -110 at some points, most benching was done with -115.

19. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

My 4670K is much cooler now with adaptive turned off but idle temps are up 10 degrees, so far its running 4200 at 1.250v as its an everyday overclock for my netbox, its hard to say what volts are safe without degrading the cpu but one thing is for sure, the lower the volts the longer it will last.

Is it a known thing that Intel cpus increase vcore when AVX codes are detected? I didnt know but I do now, lol

20. Only-got-an-i5

Only-got-an-i5 Member

I wonder if mines BDODing because it registers the temp go up a rediculous amount in a short space of time. I just keep getting CHEA_Uncontactable errors...