Intel NUC platform thread

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by stmok, Jun 9, 2013.

1. scarecrow420

scarecrow420 Member

hmm in your shoes I would just return it. You've proven with a 2nd NUC that it isn't "normal" to have these problems, even if you do get windows on there, who knows what might happen down the track?

2. BoutS

BoutS Member

Yep i would not be jumping through so many hoops to get win7 installed on it.

RMA time imo, youve done the homework to prove it.

Maybe as a last ditch try reapply/update bios.

3. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

I had nothing but trouble with mine until I did a bios update (no display from a TV had to use a monitor to even get a display, wouldn't boot nor see usb drives in either the 2 or 3.0 ports), no problems from then.

4. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

The problem is that you're trying to instal Windows on it, install Linux Mint and everything will be fine.;)

5. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Got myself the new 2nd Gen i3 NUC recently.

A bit of a treat for myself, mainly to watch catchup TV and Foxtel Go, movies/etc when away from home.

Works awesome with Win7.

Mine's specc'd up with:
    4GB Kingston SODIMM (1.35v)
    1TB Samsung EVO 840 MSSD
    Intel Dual Band Bluetooth/Wifi Card

Brilliant bit of kit, and I can see a huge future for such devices.

3 years warranty is a really nice touch too!

Box is gimmicky, but makes it much harder to counterfeit!

6. leck

leck Member

/\ Are you running xbmc or similar mitch?

I was looking at picking one up and keep eyeing off the celerons (tightass ;D) but am looking at i3 due to people saying multiple issues.

7. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

I'm just using bog standard Win7, so kinda like using the monitor as a PC.

Using a K400R Logitech for keyboard/mouse.

I chose the i3, after reading reports of people saying that the Celeron got some lag when playing back 1080 mkv files.

Didn't pick the i5 as too expensive.

8. Rezin

Rezin Member

Does anyone really know how to clear the BIOS (CMOS) settings? Guess I'll leave the battery unplugged overnight, but things that don't work are: battery unplugged for ~over an hour; hold power button for 3 beeps while yellow jumper is in 1-2, 2-3, off (edit: doesn't give the multiple options that's documented - only 2 options, which are both useless); 3 beeps with no battery; 1 stick of RAM, no battery, starting it up.... many combinations of all that... is it fkn impossible to reset this?

9. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

What's the cheapest way to attach a NUC to a monitor? Interested in one of these for a workshop where there's barely any room.

10. Rezin

Rezin Member

They come with a VESA bracket for your monitor.

11. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Top stuff, didn't know that! :thumbup:

12. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Yep, pretty complete little package for what they are.

3 Year warranty from Intel too!

13. Matt P

Matt P Member

Thinking of buying dad one of the celeron NUC's to replace his aging windows xp based machine.

Just to confirm he shouldn't have any issues running things like chrome/firefox/etc.. with 30 windows opened etc..

Cheers

14. scarecrow420

scarecrow420 Member

my celeron NUC is noticably chuggier doing tasks like applying windows updates and installing software compared to my i3 haswell NUC but I think for normal/regular use and just web browsing etc it would be fine. I cant say ive ever had 30 windows open in chrome, since its a dedicated HTPC and pretty much only runs XBMC but ive certainly had to troubleshoot things from time to time including doing a quick google search, jumping around in system menus/explorer etc and that is all smooth sailing. This is with an SSD and windows 8.1

It's literally half the price of an i3 so you can't expect the world but I reckon it'd be fine for mum and dad type use

15. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

anyone comment on ESXi experience with these things?

Looking specifically to replace a i3-3220 ghetto setup with the i5 NUC. A NUC would be low powered and quiet enough for me to finally be able to leave AD, linux and vcenter on permanently. My main concern at this point is lack of any options to get extra NICs in there, so the slipstreamed driver for the built-in better be flawless. Also going to have to live with 16Gb max, which is a bummer, but no worse than what I got currently (mATX mobo, two slots). I'm also not rich enough to splash out for the i7 version (and don't want to pay for the stupid iGPU) so not sure how it performs with 2 laptop cores vs my desktop i3.

16. flain

flain Member

"with 30 windows" is hard to answer since whats in those windows makes all the difference.

I've got the celeron NUC and browsing is fast and snappy but i don't open 30 windows. The celeron has only 2 cores and no HT, so if he hits a page that chews CPU he's going to have a bad time.

17. HSV

HSV Member

My Celeron 2820 NUC had been doing great as my primary PC (web browsing, email, bit of Photoshop etc), but I've had my first hiccup with it - it looks like the Wifi/Bluetooth card has died inside it. I've contacted both Intel and Mwave for warranty - hopefully I can just send the card back rather than the whole NUC.

18. Copie

Copie Member

If not, you can buy a replacement wifi/BT card (and upgrade it to the AC wireless unit) for 28 bucks. Its just a standard card.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/360762568967?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

19. millsy

millsy Member

What would be the cheapest way to get toslink out of one of these? Looking for something to replace the WD LiveTV and the celeron one with XBMC looks about perfect, I just need toslink for the amp.

20. mike-s

mike-s Member

Stick this to the top and use a very short usb cable. I've got an old model of it abd I'm quite happy with it.