1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Intel Optane Memory

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Agg, Mar 31, 2017.

1. DrFrag

DrFrag Member

So, for $77 I can launch Excel in 10 seconds rather than 11. I don't get it. I could put that money towards a better CPU.

2. mtma

mtma Member

If you launch Excel regularly, Windows has probably already pre-cached it into your RAM so for the most part Excel will launch with barely any difference if any.

Actual benefits seem to point hugely towards loads that would typically exist in a datacentre, where RAM is actually fully utilised and segments of typically huge datasets are being accessed a lot.

Or map loading in games... since winning is everything.

3. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Thats what I was thinking, what kind of bandaid waste of time and money was this? Create a cool sounding name and people will buy it?

:thumbdn:

4. NSanity

NSanity Member

$1600USD - which pretty much cements my theory on this.

They've simply rebadged their software based caching system, got some underperforming new nand (i.e that doesn't meet enterprise spec), chucked it at the plebs who still think that desktop/gamers actually need more than 1-2TB of "fast" applications.

1TB ssd's are like $350 or less.

Just get rid of spinning platter storage for everything other than AV/Media content (AV editors/content creators excepted).

5. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

lol, back under your bridge troll.

The 99.99% random access read/write time is 1/10'th the competition.

100mbit to gigabit type improvement and you call it underperforming.

6. NSanity

NSanity Member

plz be discussing where I'm putting multiple terabytes of titles "hot data" (i.e application, asset indexes etc - not the assets themselves) - on top of my OS "hot data" - intelligently into said 32GB cache.

The enterprise product is legit. As you say, SLOG/Zil usage is legit (16GB is a *big* TXG - like fucking huge - 2 of them is mental, and you should probs be feeding an all-flash array w/ Ram-backed ZIL/SLOG).

The General pleb who still hasn't moved to SSD's for everything because "muh gamez need to be all installed all the time because i could play any of them right now" isn't getting accelerated, because the title he hasn't played (ever - or in the last 12 months) isn't in optane, thus isn't going to be accelerated for that run.

Next run, sure.

32GB is going to be predominantly taken up by Windows, Chrome/IE/browser of choice and the current things they play.

More to the point by the time you cycle your old sandy bridge system (or newer) just to get to an "optane enabled" system, you've spent a magnitude more than you would have if you just bought an SSD to put all that shit on in the first place.

Last edited: May 1, 2017