Intel person thinking of AMD move. Please explain.

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by vladtepes, Sep 9, 2019.

1. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Please edumacate me about Ryzen / AMD systems. I know only core 7 era Intel stuff.

What's the newest thing on the AMD block. Ryzen? Pending releases?

I'm not interested in overclocking (too busy with other things to bother) - will be doing some photoshop, video editing and gaming.

The thing that interests me most is that if I build a modern system from scratch, AMD may be a cheaper option. Maybe.

Obviously I'd want a thoroughly improved decent step up from my current i7 4770K

Ta.

2. shino

shino Member

in PCs, only ever had AMD chips. cheaper and nothing wrong goes with them. bigger bang for buck

l_ QuadX_l and vladtepes like this.
  3. dirtyd

dirtyd Member

Ryzen 3000 series are the latest CPUs, ranges from 6 to 12 cores (12 to 24 threads). Pay more, get more cores and faster clock speed, pretty simple. 3700X seems to be the favoured option around here.

X570 is the latest chipset, with a Ryzen 3000 CPU it supports PCI-Express 4.0, which is exclusive to AMD in consumer products for the time being, don't think there is any word on exactly when Intel will introduce support for it.

Pending release is new Threadripper, it's not announced but general consensus seems to be this year sometime. Threadripper is high-end workstation class, competing with Intel X299 - more cores, more expansion, more memory channels, costs more.

For image and particularly video editing you will see a decent jump up from a 4770k.

If you need every last FPS in games then you're better off with a highly clocked Intel system, otherwise Ryzen 3000 offers better value, and in multi-threaded workloads it's often significantly faster.

vladtepes likes this.
  4. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

So which has moar corezz? o_O

Do Apple's have corez? :Pirate:

JSmith

5. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

3950x is upcoming and a couple more lower end SKUs are rumoured to be close (3900 non x variant)

Basically just go look at your favourite parts supplier and the range of AMD cpus with the numbers "3xx0" and see what you like in your budget.

3600 and 3700x are the bang for buck cpus right now (6 and 8 cores respectively)

vladtepes likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

So here's a question - does anyone make mobos in mATX format for AMD?
    If not it'll have to be intel again.

7. power

power Member

yes

vladtepes likes this.
  8. cbjaust

cbjaust Member

There are plenty of mATX B450 boards to choose from. the most you'll spend is $150 (with OCAU discount at scorptec)

vladtepes likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

cool, well that puts the AMD back in scope. What's an i9 9900 approximate to in the AMD world? An i7 9700 equivalent? Just trying to get a feel for what's what.

When it comes to AMD compatibility other than mobo and cpu are their others things that need to be specifically compatible with that platform?
    RAM?
    SSDs?
    GPUs?
    ?

10. power

power Member

11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Should be plenty of reviews out there : )

vladtepes likes this.
  12. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

vladtepes likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

JSmithDTV likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Great info so far thanks !

Just had a look at PC Case Gear
    Intel Core i9 9900K $799 - no cooler
    AMD Ryzen 9 3900X - includes cooler
    Given the build I'm planning I'll need to get a different cooler anyway, so there's actually nothing in it price wise. But I suppose for many people the saving of not having to buy a cooler might make a small difference. This is a bit of a surprise given I was led to believe that AMD held a marked price advantage,
    So I checked out
    Intel Core i7 9700 $549 - with cooler
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X $519- with cooler
    so a slight advantage to AMD there but still not all that much.

I suppose the intel vs AMD will have to come down to other considerations.

which is what led to my questions -

cheers

15. cbjaust

cbjaust Member

https://www.techspot.com/review/1869-amd-ryzen-3900x-ryzen-3700x/
    "The 3900X was 8% slower than the 9900K on average at 1080p, so AMD’s halved the deficit to Intel in gaming. Then as we’ve found before with Ryzen, for almost anything else the 3900X buries the 9900K, while the 3700X delivers comparable performance. When it comes to power consumption the new Ryzen processors are extremely efficient."

3700X not as fast for gaming as 9700K but faster in pretty much everything else. No one should be recommending Intel with their curent pricing. Ryzen is the way to go.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  16. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Power consumption and therefore heat generated seems to be in Ryzen's favour (more efficient = less heat) so that's a compelling argument for Ryzen if building a small case system right there.

There may be an 8% difference for gaming between Ryzen and Intel (in Intel's favour) but stepping up from my i7 4770K I'm sure they'd seem equally awesome LOL

Assuming I can find an appropriate mATX mobo (and it seems they are out there) then there seems no better time than now to explore AMD's offerings rather than sticking to my usual Intel 'because that's what I'm used to'.

17. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

For the build I want my money to be going toward better/ faster rather than blingy / flashy.
    I have ZERO interest in paying extra for LEDs (on case, on mobo, on ram, on fans, on anywhere)

So my wish list for the build

- mATX mobo (what's a good brand for Ryzen mobos? )

-Ryzen 3700x or 3900x CPU

- 1 (or 2) 1TB+ NVME SSD's. (There will be no room for my HDD's in this system).

- min 32 Gb (2 x 16Gb) 3200MHz + DDR4 RAM

- low profile CPU cooler (air cooled)

- case intake fan noctua

- Windows 10

Due to $ I will be sticking for the moment with my 1070 ITX GPU (if it fits height wise) but would definitely like to upgrade; so will keep an eye out for 2nd hand cards from those nutters here who like to upgrade every few months. :) When will 2080's be affordable ? hahahahaha

18. cbjaust

cbjaust Member

A suggestion:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($515.00 @ Shopping Express)
    Motherboard: MSI B450M MORTAR TITANIUM Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($140.00 @ Umart)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($267.00 @ Skycomp Technology)
    Storage:
    HP EX920 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($192.01 @ Amazon Australia)
    Storage: HP EX920 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($192.01 @ Amazon Australia)
    CPU Cooler:
    Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler ($65.00 @ Scorptec)
    Total: $1371.02
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-09 18:09 AEST+1000

vladtepes likes this.
  19. Kurosaki

Kurosaki Member

Note, no B450 board I've come across supports full PCI-E 3.0 x4 on the 2nd M.2 Slots.

It will either be PCI-E 2.0 x4 or PCI-E 3.0 x2 (basically SATA 3 speed). Even on a X470 that is a rarity. X570 will usually have full speed across all M.2 slots though.

shredder and vladtepes like this.
  20. cbjaust

cbjaust Member

That particular board is PCIe 3.0 x4 for one and PCIe 2.0 x4 for the other (one from the CPU, one from the Chipset). My Crosshair VI Hero's one and only M.2 slot is PCIe 3.0 x4 as well. I didn't realise it was a thing to skimp on the lanes supplied to the M.2 slots.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    vladtepes likes this.