1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Intel person thinking of AMD move. Please explain.

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by vladtepes, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Daveros

Daveros Member

I believe it’s more PCI-E 3.0 x 2 (lanes) rather than the old school PCI-E 2.0. It’s running off the chipset, rather than directly to the CPU, and will need to share resources.

From my understanding, Ryzen (all of them) have 24 lanes to share. So, 16 are made available for GPU, 4 for the m.2 that’ll run directly to the CPU and 4 for the chipset. So all secondary m.2 drives will have to share resources in the same way. It’s why it has to turn off the PCI-E slot if the drive slot is populated.

2. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Daveros what size PSU (Wattage) are you using in your system?

And what cooler on your CPU? I'm only getting the 3700x and I'm wondering whether I should buy a Noctua NH-L12S up front, or whether to give it a run with the supplied Wraith CPU fan and see how that goes....

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  3. Daveros

Daveros Member

1000W, but that’s because it was cheap on here.

If I was buying retail, I’d go anything from 650W-850W depending on price/deals/colour/how I felt on the day.

4. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

overclocked 3700x will probably draw around 90w, add on a beefy video card a 500w PSU will still easily drive it.

Daveros likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Ok well I need an SFX one so I'll go with the 700W Silverstone SFX SX700-G at a 'healthy' $189.
    (That's $40 more than the 650 W but I think the extra 50W for maybe a 3950 cpu in future is worth it).
    Plus it'll be usable if I later go to an ITX build. I think this is one area where I can future proof.

Still open to suggestions from these:
    https://www.pccasegear.com/category/15_535/power-supplies/all-models
    select SFX,

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  6. asho444

asho444 Member

FYI I ran an i7 2600 and an r9 290 overclocked on a 450watt Silverstone sfx

650 is plenty

Daveros and vladtepes like this.
  7. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

Yeah 700w is overkill even for a watercoooled oc 3950x (any itx etc mobo the vrms will be overloaded before the psu is), 650w is the value for money in that list.

Daveros and vladtepes like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Thanks for that advice, my spec sheet updated.
    So that just leaves me with the one question.

Happy to buy the Noctua if I'm going to need it - perhaps someone has experience to share on this point?

9. Daveros

Daveros Member

Try the bundled cooler (it’s quite decent for essentially free...), and swap if you don’t like it?

I’m running a wraith spire on an overclocked R7 1700 and I quite like it. Does a decent job.

vladtepes likes this.
  10. asho444

asho444 Member

Hmm I guess the question is is silence worth $120.

I doubt the noctua would be cooler but certainly quite, not that the stock is overly loud

11. Daveros

Daveros Member

I don’t know, I’m a tinkerer so I quite enjoy testing a part, and swapping it out later if I’m unhappy. (Or swapping it out even if I am happy, because weekends can be boring :lol:)

So that’s usually my suggestion. Try it, it’s included, if you’re not happy, swap it later. Can’t really go wrong that way, imo.

12. cbjaust

cbjaust Member

The M.2_1 is PCIe 3.0 with 4 lanes direct from the CPU. The M.2_2 is PCIe 2.0 with 4 lanes from the B450 chipset and is shared with the full length PCIe x4 slot at the bottom of the board (wired for x4 but can fit full length cards in it). Sharing the lanes between the PCIe x16/x4 slot and the M.2_2 is fair enough, you get to use one or the other and they're different form factors. What is retarded about the board is the two PCIe x1 slots - you can only use one or the the other, not both! Why even bother going to the trouble of putting a PCIe x1 slot under the top x16 slot when you've got anther on underneath it when a) you can't use both and b) you can't use the one under the top slot with any modern video card which typically take the space of 2 slots? Retarded.

Buy a B450 board and put the coin you save into the power supply and a cooler. be quiet! SFX-L Power 500W Power Supply $139 PCCG or SilverStone SFX SX650-G Gold 650W Power Supply $149 PCCG and with the change you could still get a Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 Low Profile AM4 CPU Cooler $65 PCCG.

Daveros likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Ok so here's a q on the 570 board

Will the Radeon RX 57-- XT GAMING X (at 297 x 85 x 140mm) fit on the ASRock X570M mobo and not foul the M2 slots or anything else?
    It's quite a wide card but fits the bill for me if it will fit the board.

14. cbjaust

cbjaust Member

Yes, it's only 58mm wide. the MSI webpage has diyslexia but the data sheet has the correct dimensions. It will take up the space of three slots so the good news is if you get the MSI B450 board mentioned previously you won't be able to use either of the PCIe x1 slots so the stupid arrangement and existence of two rather thatn one is moot. :p

15. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

So what's the point of pciex1 slots anyway.
    Seems the upshot of this is if I use both m2 slots then the only other card I can fit is the GPU? Sounds just like an itx but with 2 extra ram slots...

16. cbjaust

cbjaust Member

the board has four PCIe slots with standard single slot spacing. The top one is PCIe 4.0 connected to the CPU, the two below that are x1 slots but only one of them can be used at a time which I think is stupid. The bottom one is a 16x slot wired to x4 connected to the chipset (like the two x1 above it). Anyway what I was saying is that the stupidity of the two x1 slots that share just one PCIe lane to the chipset won't matter if you stick a 2.5+ slot video card in the top slot because that will interfere with the both of the x1 slots and you won't be able to use them anyway.

yeah, a better place for a x1 slot is above the top PCIe slot where a video can't interfere. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    vladtepes likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

So what's the point of pcie x1 slots anyway?

18. Daveros

Daveros Member

I like wi-fi and sound cards occasionally? Idk

adamsleath and vladtepes like this.
  19. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Ok so we all know there's no right time to buy tech, but I'm thinking if I wait a couple of months then:
    - There may be more decent mATX 570 mobos. Maybe.
    (alternatively, perhaps the current one will be cheaper)
    - There will be some more RX 5700 XT cards available, so I should find one more suitable for my proposed build.
    - 2TB m.2 drives may get cheaper. May.

I'll be keeping a close eye on developments in the AMD / Ryzen world.
    And I will undoubtedly have more questions along the way.

Actually quite keen on trying the non-Intel option again after so many years.

Thanks to everyone for their (ongoing) support and input. :thumbup: :)

Daveros likes this.
  20. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Should still be way faster than SATA (2GB/s Vs 600MB/s on Sata), just dont put a full baller mode SSD in there . Intel P660p would be a great fit.