1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Intel Sandy Bridge (LGA1155) Chip Discussion and Reviews..

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Nov 17, 2010.

?

Will you be buying/upgrading to a Intel Sandy Bridge (LGA1155) processor?

1. Yes!

317 vote(s)
    55.2%
  2. No!

165 vote(s)
    28.7%
  3. Mmm Candy...nom nom

92 vote(s)
    16.0%
  1. Lucus Maximus

Lucus Maximus Member

ASUS P8P67M-PRO

Have tried 100MHz, does it with IBT with 8 threads set, F@H with -smp 8. The only program it doesn't do it to is Prime95.

Anyone have any idea how to increase the TDP limit on a ASUS P8P67M-PRO?

Have been using this guide a little with others as the boards UEFI is a fair bit different due to OC'ing with Offsets instead of setting VCore and Turbo VCore.

Should have looked into this Board's UEFI a little more before I bought the damn thing! Have to deal with Voltage offset's and not just setting it. Should have just waited and bought a Deluxe or WS Rev etc.

-Lucus :confused:

2. Travex

Travex Member

Hmm, do I need to replace my PSU guys ( HX620)

[​IMG]

Have a look at the 12v rail, is this acceptable or I need at least 12.0000v or more ? This is priming @ 4500Mhz :D

3. flagger

flagger Member

Umm make sure you have the latest bios. I'm using 1204 on my P8P67 Pro. It should be in the advanced CPU features in the same area as you tweak the CPU settings. I can't remember off the top of my head.

edit. Oh you have the m-ATX version. It may be crippled (Asus love to do that). Also do not turn off thermal throttling completely. It's on for a very good reason. I said I use 150W TDP, but that because I have a Noctua D14. You will probably want to go less like 110W initially (nominal TDP is 95W).

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  4. Lucus Maximus

Lucus Maximus Member

Solved

I think I may have solved it :) have ditched speedstep & turbo. Just OCing from the get go and it's fine :D

Thanks guys.

-Lucus

Flagger I have a Corsair H70 with a high powered delta fan :)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  5. ElBeasto

ElBeasto Member

This has probably been discussed in this thread a fair bit so far but..

After wanting to upgrade to 1155 from 775 since the revision B3 announcement, I've since thought about X58 instead for the the triple channel memory and extra bandwidth in the PCI-e slots in case I use dual GPUs.
    USB 3.0 & SATA III can be had on X58 now as well.

Other than 1155 being 32nm & slightly better bang for buck is there any other advantage over X58?

Ta :)

6. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

To put it simply, no.

7. spazowacky

spazowacky Member

If your comparing 1155 quads to 1366 quads then the sandy bridge models tend to clock higher (assuming it's a "K" model), use less power and produce less heat/run cooler.
    I wouldn't put too much stock in the triple chanel memory as I believe I've read in reviews that the 1155's do better with only dual channel memory.

I consider the 1155's the smart choice as long as you can live with the lesser amount of pci-e lanes.

8. HeXa

HeXa Member

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  9. ElBeasto

ElBeasto Member

Thanks chaps.

I'll think on it some more, check out some dual/triple channel memory comparisons and SLI x8x8 vs x16x16 as well.

New boards get released fairly quickly when a new socket comes out, so there's sure to be some more offerings sooner rather than later. :)

Having said that, I refuse to buy a motherboard with mock assult rifle parts on it! :lol:

10. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Considering you've already spent the money on the X58 setup, you might as well keep it. Before you know it, it will be the end of this year and you'll have the successor to the LGA1366 socket coming, then you might as well upgrade to that with a nice 6-core CPU (without the extreme pricetag).

11. spazowacky

spazowacky Member

It's worth noting that the ud7 can do 2x16 for crossfire and sli, so while it's an expensive motherboard, it will get you the best of both worlds (apart from triple channel memory).
    I didn't know he had 1366 gear, with that in mind I wouldn't recomend the upgrade/sidegrade unless you can get some decent coin back for the current gear.

12. Travex

Travex Member

Guys, I'm having some "weird bottle necking" with my system , as you can see in the picture, my 3d mark vantage is somehow strangely low! After a googling for a while, Ive found some other results with 2500k and GTX 570/580 which are always higher about 4000 points in both CPU and GPU i.e I have 22.0xx but they usually at 26.xxx points. Also, especially the CPU points, these results run from 4800Mhz-5000Mhz(2500k) , and mine is 5100Mhz and 4000 points lower ! How is this possible ? All the drivers are up-to-date thought >.>

I'm using 6950 flashed to 6970

The picture is below:
    [​IMG]
    Click to view full-sized image!

13. Domokun

Domokun Member

I've used a lot of Gigabyte motherboards for various AMD/Intel builds, but I'll never be purchasing another one of their products again. Their lack of effort with the BIOS/UEFI implementation for the H67 chipset is absolutely disgusting. I can handle the lack of visual upgrade (even though ASRock, ASUS, and MSI have all made the effort) but the fact that it is unstable (and has been for all BIOS versions F4 through to F8) is unacceptable. This is quite disappointing considering I previously regarded Gigabyte quite highly. I hope the rest of you are having a better experience than I am. It's unfortunate that when the B3 revisions get released I won't be able to select another company's motherboard.

14. Zenskas

Zenskas Member

Which board?
    They didn't make the effort because TBH they didn't need to. I dislike the new interface, it looks messy so I'm glad they didn't rush in. They still support 3TB+ drives even with the older BIOS too. And they may upgrade it later which means people that want it have the chioce to upgrade or not to the new BIOS :)

If it's unstable even going from different BIOS versions then did you ever think it may be something else? RAM? GPU?

15. Domokun

Domokun Member

GA-H67MA-D2H. It's the budget board but it should at least be stable.

It's the motherboard. All of the different BIOS versions have separate issues, the worst of which is F8 with a reboot loop that corrupts the main BIOS, restores from the backup BIOS, and so on. Although F4 is far from perfect, it appears to be the best (and somewhat stable). I hope to god Gigabyte sort it out, but there have been four BIOS releases thus far and the last one was terrible.

16. DeejW

DeejW Member

If it makes you feel any better I have an asus p8p67 evo and it has been nothing but trouble too, most unstable board I have ever used. id never thought id say it but im going to try an asrock board as they dont seem to have these stability issues like asus and gigabyt.

17. hate-xfiles

hate-xfiles Member

The B3 revisions are released at centrecom.com.au i was just looking at one.

18. vid_ghost

vid_ghost Member

I have two GA-P67A-UD3R one with a i7 2600 and other with an i5 2500 both work fine no issues.. ( Both have broken SATA2 ports they fail to bood hard drives) and both are going to be exchanged with new B3 versions

But overall apart from the Sata2 issues they are rock solit boards.. You must use 1.5v ram with LGA1155 otherwise your going to have problems its more likely you have problems because of another part not your board.

Its one cheap! and good looking board, but will try and upgrade to UD4 or 5 if i can when doing the swop over.

http://www.gigabyte.com/fileupload/product/2/3650/3792.jpg

OCAU ADMIN ACTION FORM
    Action taken by: Ma Baker

This form details the modifications made to this thread or post.

Action Taken: Post edited, IMG Tags removed.
    Reason for Action: You are not allowed to link images if you're not hosting them yourself or using a hosting service. If you do own the hosting can you please leave a note saying so when you link an image so that we know it's ok to be linked.
    Other Information: Please read this thread which will explain the no linking images rule.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2011
  19. 3Tone

3Tone (Banned or Deleted)

Not true. I'm running 2x4GB Corsair 1.65V RAMs with no issues. Yes I'm running the RAM at rated 1.65V too.

20. vid_ghost

vid_ghost Member

GA-P67A-UD3R Specification from the web
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3650#sp

1. 4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 32 GB of system memory
    * Due to Windows 32-bit operating system limitation, when more than 4 GB of physical memory is installed, the actual memory size displayed will be less than 4 GB.
    2. Dual channel memory architecture
    3. Support for DDR3 2133/1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz memory modules
    4. Support for non-ECC memory modules
    5. Support for Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) memory modules

You may be running stable but the ram that you should be using is 1.5v "its not about if works or not its about whats specified for your product. If you go out of specifications and have issues its not the board makers fault. That guy blames gigabyte for no good reason.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011