Intel Server Board BIOS/BMC update - now I can't cold boot!

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by Statts, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Statts

Statts RIP

Hi all,

Looking for someone experienced with hardware, maybe particularly with Intel Server Boards to lend a hand.....

I picked myself up an S3210SHLC and needed to update the BIOS for my Q9300 to work in it. So I borrowed an E6300 for the firmware update. Downloaded the latest firmware update package from Intel (BIOS R0051 and BMC 39) and put the whole package on a USB. Booted into the BIOS and went to EFI Shell, where the USB with all the goods was picked up. Selected to install all firmware and it went through all its steps.

Now since finishing that whole process, the board refuses to cold boot. The front panel headers for the power switch are completely dead. After manually jumpering black and green pins on the ATX 24pin connector (while plugged into the board) the thing fires into life, and will continue to work fine when jumpering the power switch headers after this.

So does anyone know what has happened here? Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. Rampage101

Rampage101 Member

Was it definitely the correct bios update? Did your board revision match (not always applicable, but can be). Sounds a bit suss, does it matter which processor is in now?

3. bobrandom

bobrandom Member

I had extactly this with an old 865PERLL and used the wrong revision c instead of b in a batch of boards it was the only older one. I would downgrade then see if the power issue is present still.

Also any chance the usb you have been using is borked?

4. Bangers

Bangers Member

I had exactly the same problem with exactly the same board and exactly the same CPU (assuming you used the newer 2.8Ghz). I needed to RMA it and when I did so, I asked Intel to send me the newer revision (different Part Number) which included the latest BIOS revision at the time.

Just FYI, even though you probably did it, there's a single flash command in the EFI shell that upgrades all components (EFI, BIOS, Controllers etc). Don't go the route I did which was to flash things independently.