Intel Skylake-X/Kabylake-X (LGA2066) and X299 Chipset Discussion

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Court Jester, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Supersize

Supersize Member

TUF Detective, it's a little bluetooth dongle that comes with the TUF Mark 1, you install the app on your phone and you can read voltages, temps, post codes, clear cmos, restart the machine, stuff like that.

2. OJR

OJR Member

That's actually pretty fkn cool.

3. OP
    OP
    Court Jester

Court Jester Member

well I am having mixed feelings about this new system

the cpu I got from silicon lottery is hit and miss even booting into windows @ 4.9ghz @1.3v ( their tested voltage)

I can get it stable @ 4.8g @ 1.3v but starts thermal throttling in real bench within minutes

4.8ghz in non AVX workloads is fine (prime 95 v26.6) @ 100% load but not really happy

im going to eat the cost of the postage and send it back.

4. OJR

OJR Member

Try it on a decent motherboard first CJ.

5. OP
    OP
    Court Jester

Court Jester Member

I have its called the gaming 7

they are blaming the board but I have tweaked everything I can but it locks even in the bios @4.9 ghz and if not then generally just afer loading windows I can not push volts any higher as it is hitting thermal limits as it is.

--4.8ghz it is fine but im not happy with having to off set the avx more and having it throttle thermally in avx loads its not what I pay extra for a binned chip for

they only do one replacement so I decided on a refund as I don't want to blow my one replacement on a chip that is functional but not hitting their rated speeds.

I might just buy a walletripper

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  6. Supersize

Supersize Member

Did you enable overvoltage on the motherboard?

I'll tell you it's not the CPU, it's the motherboard.
    There's no way the current lineup is going to do any form of AVX over 4.5Ghz

It's not SL's fault that Intel made these power hungry chips, it actually the motherboard throwing OCP due to power draw, not a dud CPU.

Finger's crossed the Apex and Rampage allow those sort of clocks you're aiming for.

7. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Im creeping up slowly with mine, taking my time with daily clocks first, and so far 1.100v 4500 seems decent to me:

Click to view full size!

Lots more to come but 71c with custom water at 1.100v tells an important story.

:thumbup:

8. OP
    OP
    Court Jester

Court Jester Member

of course, I have set the LLC it is set to high and sits at 1.3v under load I am not an amateur. Power draw isnt too bad @ 200w

VRM temps are good as well at 70ish degrease.

i am using the avx offsets as they specified, the chip should not be locking up booting into windows @ 4.9 windows in not a heavy avx load :) that windows booting -- or even before the loading of the OS.

its the CPU at 4.8 it is stable at their settings but will thermal throttle in real bench. In Prime v26.6 (non AVX) it will run fine @ full clock speeds @ 4.8ghz but not at 4.9, if it did this at 4.9 I would probably keep it.

im not annoyed at SL they have offered a refund which is all they can do, i just lose the postage costs. but meh it isnt that much.

Edit: I am torn though as 100mhz isnt that much and in all workloads I run it will not throttle so I dont know if it is worth the postage costs and the gamble of getting another non delidded CPU which in all honestly probably wont even run that high.

9. OP
    OP
    Court Jester

Court Jester Member

10. OJR

OJR Member

Just keep the CPU dude. It suits you perfectly. It's a little bit dodgy, just like all used car salesmen. :lol:

Piss off that board and get a proper one.

11. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I'm an Intel fanboi. You claim not to be.

I think AMD is finally offering some real competition. You jump on every number that you think proves otherwise.

Lets just point something out here. Having 25% better single core performance, sounds like a fast P4 to me. In other words, big fucking deal.
    Neither of the chips are single core...

The only real advantage Intel appears to have is a slight edge in gaming performance.. the differences in real world use I would bet are minor. An informed guess of course, I've not gamed with Ryzen and rarely game with Intel. I do however read reviews. I'll also point out the extremely large price advantage the entire AM4 platform has over anything even close to comparable from Intel. Of course, you know this, but you still want to compare apples with oranges, no matter what.

Productivity wise though, there is no contest.

So, the AMD is slightly inferior for games, but better for pretty much everything else. Being an Intel fanboi, I find this a bit embarrassing, but it's true, like it or not.
    I'm sticking with Intel for the moment, probably going with Coffee Lake until sometime next year. Probably just about the same time AMD will have finished ripping Intel a new one, if the trend continues.

X299, as it stands right now, is an expensive and monumental failure. Face it. Shit happens, move on. Ryzen also has plenty of issues. Neither are particularly surprising. Octacore consumer chips are the latest thing, it will take time to iron out the bugs, and it will take time for the devs to modify or create games that can make use of the extra cores.

We'll check out both platforms in another 6 months or so and see which one matures the most gracefully.

They both smash anything that comes before them.. except in gaming where the 7700K is STILL the master.

Take your blinkers off. Or even better, put a blindfold on and stop typing. Its getting annoying.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  12. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

they are all good products from both camps. people just want to be happy / satisfied with their pcs / investment at the price-point they select. :)

bulk of the market is not at the apex of price and/or performance. :thumbup:

13. Supersize

Supersize Member

Though I bought the 7820x I still see the point and performance of Ryzen.

We all know AMD failed when they released the first high core count CPU's, but this time even being able to keep up with last gen's Intel multicore CPU's at such a low price is impressive.

If AMD can match or come close to matching the high core I9's at a lower cost they have a winner for sure.
    But like Linus pointed out once if you're doing serious video production's you'll have a couple of Titan Xp's which kinda seals the gap between all CPU's.

Look I like my Intel rig, I had my reasons for getting it which I made clear, but I can see peoples point on getting the 8 core Ryzen rigs too.

This is the age old Ford vs Holden argument, shame those other CPU manufactures died cause we could of had Crysler in the mix as well. :lol:

14. Bertross

Bertross Member

Lol anus should only make one motherboard. Rampage

15. OJR

OJR Member

The Apex is also very good, but more targeted towards overclockers. So it misses out on some of the more premium features.

Since X58, Gigabyte have not been able to make a single decent HEDT board.

16. Bertross

Bertross Member

The last ga board i owned was x58 ud5

17. thecondor

thecondor Member

Correct me if im wrong here CJ but the images you posted shows intel beating AMD by 25% in single core (ohhhhhhh wow)

But in multi core the amd chip beats out the intel by some distance. You forgot to mention that.

18. OJR

OJR Member

Don't you buy an 8-core CPU for single core performance???? I do!

19. thecondor

thecondor Member

Yeah thats why I spend hundreds of dollars on a cpu, for that single core performance. :thumbup::Pirate:

20. OP
    OP
    Court Jester

Court Jester Member

I don't believe it's the board I am literally watching the cpu hit 100 degrees in hw info the clocks drop a few hundred mhz it drops in temp and goes back up to 4.8ghz and the cycle repeats.

it ran over night in prime 95 @ 4.8ghz, it is thermal throttling though at the volts needed to keep it stable (1.3v) so I don't consider that a successful overclock. as it is constantly cycling the speed down

I can't see how they managed to test this chip @ 4.9ghz 1.3v with an inferior cooling set up to mine ( they recommend AIO's I ahve a custom loop with 2 x 360 rads) and have it not be thermal throttled almost the entire time.

it may be the board stopping it getting to 4.9ghz but the board does not make the CPU thermal throttle.

I still dont know what im going to do, as if I send it back and just buy something locally it will most likely perform worse.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017