Intel Skylake-X/Kabylake-X (LGA2066) and X299 Chipset Discussion

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Court Jester, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Partha

Partha Member

Nah the FS fan headers can NOT be tuned, it will always run at full speed. However that does not make the board unsuitable for 24/7 at all.

2. glnn_23

glnn_23 Member

The fan headers on the Apex are

cpu
    cpu-opt
    cha x 3
    fs x 4

3. OJR

OJR Member

It looks like there are normal tuneable fan headers as well.

Tom also spoke about a few fan mounts for various components that cannot be installed in a desktop case.

Either way, he said it's a fantastic board with amazing performance but he stressed that you won't be able to get the most out of your CPU unless it's delidded and you're running a custom loop. So again, chipset is great, CPUs are an epic fail.

Looks like coffee lake will use the same shit monkey jizz for TIM.

4. OP
    OP
    Court Jester

Court Jester Member

at stock speeds the TIM is not an issue, even when overlocked its not much of an issue as you can still get decent clocks and temps with the stock TIM.

5. OJR

OJR Member

Thanks, but I'd rather listen to a reviewer than a used car salesman.

6. Supersize

Supersize Member

There's 2 sides to that coin you know.
    The extreme overclocking that you buy the Apex for is going to void you warranty and some my kill CPU's, happens on the red team too.

The ability to now delid may offer an advantage for direct die cooling in extreme overclocking.

You can't just instantly dismiss things for being shit before seeing the bigger picture.
    I never did that for Ryzen (though some of my fellow Intel owners have :p ), it does fall behind the 8 core 7820x but shit look at the price of the 1700/1800x.

Temps for me now are good 76c for a 4.7Ghz overclock Prime95 26.6 (4Ghz on AVX).
    Seems I was missing something as I was able to do 4.7Ghz with 1.190v, it's when you start getting into the 1.2v+ range is when the temps creep up, well that and not running a AVX offset.

7. OJR

OJR Member

OK going by that logic, you also cannot release an unlocked CPU, designed for overclocking, that does not work as intended unless you HAVE to delid and void warranty.

8. Bertross

Bertross Member

Shouldnt that board have the vrm and cpu blocllk installed from factory? Its basically a overclocking board or else its a pointless purchase.

9. OP
    OP
    Court Jester

Court Jester Member

show me your soldered ryzen running @ 5.1ghz? under ambient cooling?

just because its soldered does not make it good.

here is my stock CPU with stock TIM

Click to view full size!

over 50% better singl thread than failzen

Click to view full size!

stock TIM, under water cooling

Click to view full size!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  10. OJR

OJR Member

^^ What are you even talking about??? Well done on 1.2GHz @ 1.8V, a real achievement.

11. OP
    OP
    Court Jester

Court Jester Member

now you're just trolling and a little salty as you know ryzen is a flop

its 5.15ghz @ 1.31v vcore and 51% faster than ryzen 1800x single core and almost the same multi core. decent temps for the OC ( that was in prime 95 v26.6-- blend stress test after 20 mins or so.) and all with the stock "monkey jizz" TIM as you put it.

Intel dont need to have a soldered IHS to smash ryzen

post your cpuz bench mark screen shots we need a good laugh.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  12. thecondor

thecondor Member

Their is something very wrong with you.....:Pirate:

13. OJR

OJR Member

1. This is failake-X thread. 2. who uses CPU-Z as a meaningful benchmark? 3. My rig is not up and running properly yet.

14. OP
    OP
    Court Jester

Court Jester Member

1) post it in the ryzen thread then I read that as well

2) lots of reviewers use it in their reviews it is a quick easy bench mark to show relative performance of the CPU's.

3)What issues? Its a ryzen that is probably as good as it gets, are you having issues getting the memory stable at 3200++++mhz?

15. OJR

OJR Member

1) You were told to stay TFO out of that thread.

2) Pffft! Meaningless. You're just choosing that benchmark because it favours Intel chips.

3) Memory is rock solid at 3200. It's the multi that is locking at 15.5X when I change vcore to anything but AUTO. :lol:

16. SiriusDragon

SiriusDragon Member

"5.15ghz @ 1.31v"

Are you sure you're not getting throttling? I assume you've checked for that with HWiNFO or similar programs? Also how stable is it with AVX loads?

Based off der8auer's testing and others I'm somewhat sceptical. Happy to be proven wrong though!

17. OP
    OP
    Court Jester

Court Jester Member

positive its not throttling

TJ max is set to 105 degrees and it comes nowhere near that in prime using the blend setting ( watching HWinfo, CPUZ and core temp) . I can get it to throttle when I have the GPU in the same loop mining while running an AVX stress load with the fdans set at low speed.

I use avx offsets of 3 and 4 and its stable in the new version of prim95, realbench and intel burn in test on very high. in AVX stress loads I see 270W on the CPU power draw and about 220w non-AVX loads.

VRM temps are decent @ mid 70's water temps with the fans on full is high 30's

gaming I see max temps in the 70's n the CPU 40's on the GPU with the fans on a low - mid range. as I use custom fan curves on the radiators.

18. Supersize

Supersize Member

Well technically you can overclock without voiding warranty, it's the EXTREME overclocking with LN2 that will cause the trouble, but again that's what the Apex is designed for :lol:

Also that is why Intel have the protection plan, a 1 time no questions asked CPU replacement.

They have replaced delidded CPU's in the past.

19. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

So your saying at 5.15ghz it's nearly as fast as an 1800x that is at stock in multi threaded workloads that the Ryzen is designed for in your preferred benchmark!

Awesome

20. Bertross

Bertross Member

dont try and make sense about this all :lol: