1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

Intel Skylake-X/Kabylake-X (LGA2066) and X299 Chipset Discussion

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Court Jester, Jun 19, 2017.

1. nope

nope Member

bing bing wahoo

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  2. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

Hey Mate,
    7900X.

I need the highest possible clock speed for iRacing, as it is severely CPU limited. I am currently running a 7820X, not delidded at 4.7Ghz, but due to a requirement for more PCIe lanes, I am forced to go to the 7900X. Hopefully I can get close to that clock with delidding and the Direct Frame.

Cheers,
    Beano

3. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

Well, I tried the German site Caseking.de, but they are not interested in shipping one Down Under, damn. Seems I am stuck with delidding and refitting the priginal heatspreader again, I was truly hoping to get my mitts on one, blah...

Mmm...Perhaps I should just ask one of my Colleagues there to get me one and I can anyway grab it when I am in Finland next, as we will meet up there anyway...just hate to redo the same thing twice.

edit: I have messaged DeBauer via LinkedIn, let's see if he responds....

Anyway, herewith Caseking's reply:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  4. @sia@home

@sia@home Member

I have a direct die frame in my cupboard I was planning on using. This is an untouched stock chip with just AS5 paste.

Attached Files:

5. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

But instead you want to sell to me :lol:

PS: Your temps are really nice for that clock speed!! Good job, it must fly!

6. nope

nope Member

7. glnn_23

glnn_23 Member

Pushing the limits on water now perhaps on the 7740x.
    No overclock on mem and cache at 4000Mhz.
    Just going for cpuz validation here

https://valid.x86.fr/ehz4cl

8. @sia@home

@sia@home Member

Idle temps are very close to ambient now. Just popped the top and put the bare die kit on. I'm considering putting the lid back on and just using conductonaut to hold the IHS there. Then move these tools on. Some of the cores dropped by ~17 degrees. Temperature drop reduced the power draw a few percent also (less leakage). I'm sure I have a really average LM application / mount as the core temperatures all moved relative to each other. This Chip would probably do 5.1 with a touch more voltage.

Prime95 26.6 puts the wattage to ~280 with the maximum heat test and it doesn't crash anymore. Pretty sure it used to hard lock.

9. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

Very nice indeed ;)

Yeah, that’s how I’m running mine at the moment. Just sitting the heat spreader on top, not glued back on....

Anyway, let me know if you’re selling that bracket, I will take it off your hands ..

Cheers,
    Beano

10. glnn_23

glnn_23 Member

Have been running Aida64 cache and memory benchmark. 7740x definitely better than my previous 4 core cpus. Wasn't sure if cache was going ok but it certainly runs fine now.

Click to view full size!

11. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

^^That’s a solid overclock, great result!

12. glnn_23

glnn_23 Member

13. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

^^Neat, should run nice and cool :)

I have my 10-core 7900x at 4600mhz and 1.170vcore. Very happy with that result too.

14. glnn_23

glnn_23 Member

That sounds good.

What mb and mem are you using with that?

Give that 7900x a delid even if your temps are ok at the moment. I wouldn't wait for a Skylake X direct Die frame.

15. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

Ha, already delidded.....done it last weekend, have not glued the lid back on, still have hopes for a direct-die frame, would help with the hot 10-core chip.

Motherboard is an Asus Rampage VI Apex, with 32GB Hyper-X Fury in quad channel. Quite a beast for iRacing.....

16. glnn_23

glnn_23 Member

17. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

Can I just ask - how many of you guys that are using and benching x299 are going to seriously consider the 32/64 core threadrippers in august?

18. billyb

billyb Member

I currently have 7900X. More cores are nice but Until AMD releases a Threadripper CPU that
    - can reach 5GHz on one or two 2 cores with not too much pain and keep the rest at ~4.5GHz easy assuming similar IPC
    - has good memory compatibility

Until then, I'm reasonably happy with the price difference. There is also the issue of slapping 2 or more cores together and affecting the performance, but that's another story.

Only thing I can potentially use from AMD at the moment is the extra PCI Express lanes.

TL;DR: Not really.

Cheers
    B

19. @sia@home

@sia@home Member

Comparing a very good 7820X i7 to a 1950X if the 7820X is a good overclocking chip I would stay intel. There will be specific workloads where threadrippers disadvantages don’t nerf them too much. Finding workloads were threadrippers are more efficient is fewer I believe.

My 8 core 7820X OC will walk a 16 core 1950X OC 3.9-4GHz in x265 video encoding because of intels huge avantage with AV512 instructions. Out of date x264 shit AMD will win. I think code compiling AMD will be better and it is the specific reason why I put together a 1950X server for that purpose. When you setup a build server with 32 threads, and might find a 2 hour+ compile job that can fully use 32 threads, can’t fully use 32 threads. 32GB of ram isn’t optimal anymore, I found it bouncing against 100% MEM usage. So we’re straight into the 64GB ram at 3000-3600MHz bracket CPU cost suddenly isn’t a huge deal.

With gaming loads I’d choose intel any day.

And the memory compatibility is no joke. With Intel you buy the fastest largest, lowest latency GSkill kit you can afford and put it in and click the XMP option. I’ve had gskill 3600 running at 4166mhz on x299. With AMD good luck. I put a gskill 3000mhz kit in and it wasn’t fully stable at 2933MHz. Every review you read says something similar to my experience there.

I would say that if AMD have a 64 thread chip available for $2600, Intel will place their best offering right a price point to make it an invalid choice for all but work that doesn’t require AVX512, or high speed memory compatibility. I also find myself thinking about whether there are other interconnects or interfaces in the CPU that don’t work properly once you get that many cores and load them up. We all heard about AMD and their 4 and 8 core systems with shared components that should not be shared. Even a 1950X won’t stay pinned at 100% usage but rather vary between 60 and 80% typically with occasional bounces to 100% when doing compile work.

I’m happy with both systems I have touched. I put 7900X and 1950X neck and neck which is exactly how they are priced. I measure performance not core count multiplied by MHz. With a specific AMD favouring workload I would go threadripper.

White_Ice and billyb like this.
  20. White_Ice

White_Ice Member

I just tried some tests over here, direct die frame helps minimal 5-6 degrees on low core counts over standard delid, not great but there is still improvement.

There would be a greater improvement for high core count due to the size / mass difference in die.. :thumbup: