1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

Intel Skylake-X/Kabylake-X (LGA2066) and X299 Chipset Discussion

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Court Jester, Jun 19, 2017.

1. AfterBurner1

AfterBurner1 Member

I'm also sitting on my hands waiting for the 905P's to become available locally. Amazon has just back flipped on it's US import policy so maybe we have some light on the horizon.

Might be able to get my hands on a ASRock x299e-ITX/ac, some ram and a cheaper XE.

2. billyb

billyb Member

Ordered a 905P m.2 drive from newegg today. I plan to use it in Asus hyper m.2 x16 card along with other SSDs. If you can wait, I'll post an update once it arrives some time next week.

Cheers
    B

3. Luke212

Luke212 Member

since when is there an m.2 version? there has never been a m.2 optane. what is this magic?

where do i throw my money?

4. billyb

billyb Member

They talked about this earlier this year and now it's finally available.
    From intel website, the only difference between the different form factors are capacity and power consumption.
    Compared to Samsung Pro 970 512GB drive (closest drive I could think of in terms of size, performance, purpose), idle power consumption is 90 times - that's right, times - higher while max power is 1.4 times higher.
    Not coming to laptops any time soon and not very good candidate for motherboard mounted m.2 sockets without a decent cooling.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...es/enthusiast-ssds/optane-ssd-905p-brief.html
    https://www.samsung.com/au/memory-storage/970-pro-nvme-m2-ssd-/MZ-V7P512BW/
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/12899/intel-previews-m2-optane-ssd-905p-380gb

Fascinating stuff.

5. Luke212

Luke212 Member

thanks for the links.

i think it says its 110mm. are laptops usually limited to 80mm? eg 970 pro?

does anyone care about power consumption of a little stick? even 90 times higher? honest question because i want to put it in my laptop (i7-8700) :p

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  6. billyb

billyb Member

No clue on the power consumption effect on the battery etc, but thermals could definitely become an issue. Also, for now, it's the 110mm stick, so not every laptop may take it.

7. Luke212

Luke212 Member

can samsung implement that 3d hollow point ram one day?

8. AfterBurner1

AfterBurner1 Member

I can wait of course, but I might grab a 32GB or 280GB caching drive if they're cheap during Black Friday.

9. shane41

shane41 Member

10. billyb

billyb Member

Optane m.2 drives are just in.

https://imgur.com/a/qnr18MI

The PC is currently in use, so I'll upload more photos and some non-RAID numbers when possible.

On another topic: what's with intel x299 refresh launch? only scorptec has 2 low end CPUs and no motherboard anywhere. Paul's Hardware received the Deluxe-II for review... nothing otherwise.

Cheers

11. shane41

shane41 Member

Wasn't the talk no Kabylake x299 ... I don't really know ... read it somewhere maybe.
    But if you have retail shops full of processors x299 Skylakes ... & they are expensive & not moving ... well why not offer incentive :rolleyes:
    Lower pricing on 8core x299 ... sell them out, as Intel has the lined up $850AU 8core z390 to pump the cash up.

See what I'm leading too :Pirate: can't call it Kabylake those are canceled? Are they? What is a i9-9900X ... looks very fine spec to me, multi's up more cache. Skylake/ Kabylake hybrid you be the judge

12. billyb

billyb Member

Haha I want the 9940x. 4 more cores but same clock speed as 10 core.

13. AfterBurner1

AfterBurner1 Member

Oh, man there in stock now too. I want, but that price is three months of scrimping every last cent. then $4-500 for board, $1000 for ram, optane, $1k for high end spinning rust bulk storage leaving out cooling etc. man threadripper is just too damn good to ignore even if Intel has Optane, I have seen it's really easy to get these modules working on AMD platforms just fine.

it's been a quiet refresh news cycle cause there's nothing to write home about essentially. Intel did a half arsed refresh giving slightly better binned chips in the 9980XE and the half arsed Solder job, still performs worse than the nearly identical 7980XE with a delid and good TIM.

both LTT:

AND
    GamersNexus:

Both have panned it. I'd be keen as to try out the 9900X but I've got to have serious money to do so. I'm a pensioner trying to gear up to do a YouTube/streaming channel. this is mighty expensive.

in terms of Boards they are spread wide. there are some channels getting samples but it's Level1 Techs, hardware unboxed and pauls hardware and likely ltt and GN.

I hear the Optane are beautiful for thrashing on with video editing and are gluttons for that punishment. I'd be keen to use em for caching an array when the larger capacities are cheaper.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  14. shane41

shane41 Member

15. shane41

shane41 Member

New & shiny you'll get burnt. I've bought nice parts in here s/h.
    Recently Apex X $300 ... but only 5 weeks old. Then members buy them on run out approx $400. Then the retail when current gen $570
    But it's mighty fine for my purpose OC vs any z390 atm.
    ________

You can do the same, x299 boards/ cpu's do come up. Saving easy 1/3 $ retail

16. AfterBurner1

AfterBurner1 Member

i want a super specific board though either EVGA's X299 Dark or asn ASRock X299E-ITX/ac.

17. shane41

shane41 Member

EVGA's X299 Dark been on sale EVGA direct

18. billyb

billyb Member

This is how the setup ended up. All drives are non RAID.
    [​IMG]

Just a quick run on the Optane 905p. Ambient temperature: 23degC[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Overall, didn't notice any change in responsiveness coming from 900p.

I think the cooling on the Asus hyper 16x kit is not nearly good enough and the one that looked like a smallish GPU and was bundled with a TR4 boards (MSI or Gigabyte, can't remember) is starting to make lot more sense. But then again, I don't know if the controller actually throttled or not. I run the sequential test for about 10min and didn't see noticeable decrease in speed. In any case, I may end up removing the aluminum cover and stick separate heatsinks on the controllers and just point a low RPM fan directly to them.

Let me know if you have any specific test in mind that doesn't include lot of setting up or take too much time.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    OJR likes this.
  19. AfterBurner1

AfterBurner1 Member

yeah, US$296 is a decent amount off for sure, considering their normal listing is US$599. problem is they are already actively blocking any efforts to 'export the boards' and the like.If anyone can help out there i'd be game af to do something.

temps are a bit toastier than i'd like but NAND does like stable temps. I tend to think the system might tripping balls a bit with the controller on the card or something or chipset/controller bottle necking. admittedly TR also bottle necks but it's at like 16GB/s.

TR4 is the king there it sounds like. here's an ASRock Ultra Quad card being reviewed by Wendel @ Level1 Techs YT

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  20. hairy

hairy Member

im so happy with the choice I made to jump on x299 upon release.
    still humming along nicely @4.8 with 1.225volts and looks like it will do the job for some time yet !
    I still have the itch to build something new (maybe my daughter will need a rig).