Intel's 32nm Clarkdale CPUs moved up to Q4, a full year ahead of AMD?

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Jun 29, 2009.

1. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

[​IMG]
    http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20090629PD207.html

[​IMG]

Joint feature on all of the models is a single-die 32nm Clarkdale core with 64KB of L1 cache and 4MB of L2 cache memory. This silicon die is paired with the 45nm iGFX core on the same organic substrate. Yes, the very same Intel graphics core that's been criticized for years for its inept performance and doubtful compatibility. But with Intel clocking the core to as high as 900 MHz it will be interesting to see can a clock-upping strategy work and make a semi-decent performer or not.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  2. BlackSniper87

BlackSniper87 Member

intels looking good still. Will be interesting to know the gains in performance of the new model.

3. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

What interests me is how the market will take processors with dual cores compared to quad core offerings. Roadmaps show no quad core processors when 32nm comes around :S

4. BlackSniper87

BlackSniper87 Member

now that you mention it yes that is very weird. Well I hope they do produce the quad cores at 32nm by end of year.

5. robbo2

robbo2 Member

I was wondering that aswell. Would have thought 6 cores possibly 8 would be the next step. I'm wondering what the integrated graphics will be. Larrabee perhaps?

6. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Well 6 core will be the next step for enthusiasts on 32nm.

This should clear some things up:

[​IMG]

7. El Jay

El Jay Member

I'm fairly sure Larrabee will be roughly the same size as a standard graphics card, so it is far too big to fit on a cpu die. I'd assume that it would be a variation of their latest GMA chipset. What I'm interested in is the gains/losses (like OC capability, performance, etc.) associated with moving the integrated graphics on die in relation to the overall cost.

8. Mau1wurf1977

Mau1wurf1977 (Banned or Deleted)

The real questions for me are:

a. how do these overclock? Based on the Core and I7 45nm chips, these should overclock well past 4 GHz.

b. Will Intel limit overclocking somehow

c. What about Turbo Mode (multi overclocking for single threaded applications)...

d. Will there be a budget chipset / mainboard design? Or is it sharing the mainstream platform (P55)

For gaming these 32nm dual cores could still come out on top vs. quads.

9. Mau1wurf1977

New 32nm process. Yields might not be that great for quads yet....

10. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Too early to know. We only recently found some screenshots of the design of the die.

I don't see why they would, and haven't really with current processors.

It may be something we see in future processors to boost single threaded application performance.

They of course will, they want to take every price point in the market...as always.

11. Mau1wurf1977

For PC Gaming I believe these chips will still be the way to go (vs. quad or 6 core)...

12. Deja Vu

Deja Vu Member

I hope there's a 4c-8T on 32nm. I'd be looking for another 4c for my next upgrade, and I'd rather not be forced into the choice between a 6c and a 2c

The 45nm process changes for both intel and AMD were quite interesting, Intel used double patterning for its masking process, and AMD went with immersion lithography.
    For 32nm AMD and intel will each (probably) be using both techniques, and will probably stay similar for 22nm.

What I can't wait for is to see the first mass production 15/16nm process, we should be running into funky quantum tunnelling issues at that point, and its possibly the last traditional process size we will ever get. We're still about 10 years away from that point (depending on who you talk to could be 5 years away), but I'd really like to see how microprocessor technology advances after that point

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  13. stmok

stmok Member

Agreed. Clarkdale is very likely going to be using an improved version of the GMA line. Rumours have said its twice 3D performance of existing GMA 4500. (Take it with a grain of salt for now)...I'm guessing it'll be like having a GF8400 G/GS performance...Better than before, but will be behind ATI/Nvidia's IGPs.

Larrabee itself is scalable. That is, one can vary the number of x86 cores as needed. Six cores at 1.0 to 1.4Ghz should be sufficient to provide similar performance for the IGP market. (The discrete graphics version is something like 24 cores at 2.0Ghz).

The mainstream version of "Sandy Bridge" (next generation) *could* be using Larrabee technology.

14. Pianist

Pianist Member

yeah things get interesting then. Maybe theyll find new improved wafer materials to lower heat dissipation. how LONG do we have to wait for 10ghz+. Or will quantum/optical computing methods break through then. (facts of up to 1000 times faster in theory)

15. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Some recent info had come to light that in 2010 we should see quads on 32nm. But i'm not sure it will be on this nehalem based architecture (aka 32nm shrink, codename westmere), but a new one called sandy bridge. With sandy bridge intel will introduce a new micro architecture.

This may help with the codenames:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  16. Pianist

Pianist Member

lol they look like bullets^

I like most people thought that theyd follow the tick tock method thingy they do. Where one of them is a new architecture then die shrink etc. Weve had the new architecture for i7 quads now wed think it will be a die shrink. Going 32nm AND a new architecture for quads would be strange.

17. Digit

Digit Member

Looks like amd has a tough year ahead of them. But that means intels mad prices will shine a bit.

But i'm unsure about this onboard graphics thing

18. bazadilligaf

bazadilligaf Member

2 Years> Sandy Bridge :lol:

Would that be the first out of field Codename since Northwood?

I liked it too :thumbup:

19. Mau1wurf1977

20. theDarkHorse

theDarkHorse Member

Should think so (with the requisite BIOS update). No real reason for them not to work. Obviously the on-die graphics aren't really useful on a P55 board.