1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Intel's Haswell-E...

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by stmok, Jun 5, 2013.

1. newlife

newlife Member

I'd say keep it under 1.4v unless benching because while the cpu cores shouldn't have a problem with more the integrated VRM is a different story and with normal haswell CPU's have been known to die with 1.4v

2. im late

im late Member

I am toying with the idea of moving my current platform to my bench as a dedicated benching/overclocking rig

So I have an EVGA X99 Micro board which I can use for gaming.

As I don't intend to overclock, and because I have two titans (so enough GPU horsepower for the games I play) I was thinking that buying a K series processor is kind of a waste for my needs.

So I was thinking of the following CPU instead of the 5820K:

E5-1620 v3
    - 10MB Cache
    - 4 Core / 8 Thread
    - 40 PCIe lanes
    - Base 3.5GHz / Boost 3.6GHz
    - Price (landed) - $430

- 15MB Cache
    - 6 Core / 12 Thread
    - 40 PCIe lanes
    - Base 3.3GHz / Boost GHz
    - Price (landed) $739

Reasons why I think the Xeon will be more suited for my needs

1. For gaming duties isn't 4C/8T enough (i.e. 4790K is)?
    2. $309 cheaper.

At the end of the day, it will just be a gaming PC, no overclocking or benching duties.

A 3.6GHz, 4C / 8T 10MB Cache Processor working with my twin Titans should be fine for gaming??

Am I on the right track? opinions?

3. newlife

newlife Member

I thinking 2 Titans would be best with a 6 six core like the 5820k ($519 for Computer Alliance) or the E5-2620 v3 ($585 for CPL) if you care about PCIE lanes

You'll be fine with a quad it's just of the latest games may hit a CPU limit

4. im late

im late Member

Fair call. But would all the users out there who use 4790K have the same CPU limit?

Not sure which way to go. :(

5. bobster

bobster Member

DX12 "Should" balance it all out but I wouldn't worry for dual SLI

6. Supersize

Supersize Member

Hey guys.

If I was looking to build a X99 system, what is the best ram to go with a X99 Sabertooth/5930k.
    I was looking at G-Skill as they seem to be recommended, plus my last 3 personal machines have all used G-Skill and I've never had an issue.

It's just the ram speeds/timings I'm not sure about.
    The 2 kits I was looking at are:

G.Skill Ripjaws 4 F4-2666C15Q-16GRR 16GB (2666Mhz)
    (15-15-15-35-2N 1.2v)

or

G.Skill Ripjaws 4 F4-3000C15Q-16GRR (3000Mhz)
    (15-15-15-35-2N 1.35v)

It's just that I've been reading some of the high speed ram can cause stability problems.

I'm looking at a small OC on the 5930k (maybe 4 - 4.2Ghz), just going to cool it with a H110i GT.

There will be some gaming (1 GTX980ti to start with, a second one a few months down the track), Video editing, Photoshop, just a all round machine that will last a good 2 - 3 years. (Hence going X99).

PCCG Wishlist
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=425755&action=wish_lists

Everything else I have sorted, just confused on whether I should get the faster ram or not.

Thanks.

7. im late

im late Member

Both rams will do the job fine as I have used both kits in the past at their rated speeds without any issues (on my platform).

The ripjaws4 kits are OK for overclocking but there have been mixed results.

You can buy:

- F4-2666C15Q-16GRR

from newegg for $940.05 AUD shipped to postcode 4217 in 4-7 business days. 2-3 days for $10 more.

That is a $118.00 saving for exactly the same parts. And both G.Skill and Intel comes with an international warranty and you claim RMA direct to them, not Newegg.

8. Supersize

Supersize Member

Thanks for that mate.
    Will be looking to build second week of July, but I like to prepare, make sure I've got all the right components etc.

Everything else look ok with the build (Wife wanted the giant PCCG mug..lol)

9. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

So i recently purchased a 5930k with an asus sabertooth x99 and quad channel kit from corsair LPX ddr4-3000 CL15.

Just looking at some advice on overclocking this baby.

I've loaded up the XMP profile for the ram, and it's changed the following:

CPU Strap 125MHZ
    Bclk 100
    Uncore 24
    DDR speed 3000
    DDR voltage 1.35
    Uncore voltage is auto (0.9~)
    VCCSA voltage is auto (0.88~)

I'm happy leaving the memory at default settings and not really changing that.

ATM i've got 1.3v to the core and running it at 37 multi and it's booting fine, i'm able to stress test it with cpu-z stress test, prime it for 15 mins, and it's been gaming solidly for a fair few hours.

Whenever i change the uncore frequency to try and match the cpu frequency it fails to boot though, even with setting the uncore voltage up to 1.35v.

I'll also be looking at moving it from locked @ 37multi to enabling turbo mode and enabling offset voltage.

10. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

The FIVR is a tricky little thing. I found VCCSA needed a bit of a tickle when overclocking uncore, although I dont play in the higher strap which may be more challenging. FWIW the cache on this 5930k does 40x100 @ 1.25v.

I wouldnt worry too much about it unless you're HWBOTing.

Have you added some VCCIN/applied some LLC?

4.6 is a pretty decent result :thumbup:

PS Shouldnt blck be 125?

11. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

Correct my bad, was just going off the top of my head. Yep it's 125.

I manage to get the uncore up to 4500 with cache @ 1.45v, and VCCSA @ 1.25v.

Dropped it down to 4000 with cache @ 1.25, VCCSA @ 1.1v

Dropped multi down to 4.5ghz, and enabled offset voltage for everything, and it seems stable, will do some more testing.

The turbo mode is QUITE different to how i was over clocking the 2600k. I'd have a multi dedicated for turbo mode, where as this doesn't have one. :(

But either way, it's working well now :)

I managed to get to windows @ 4.75 on 1.3v and it was stable, just CPU temps started to get abit high.

all cores even at 51C, CPU Package at 63c and CPU temp was at 50C.

LLC set to level 8, and VCCIN is 1.92v

12. Supersize

Supersize Member

Hey guy's

I've been playing around with the new 5820k/MSI X99a Gaming 7 setup.

I don't know if it's the CPU, but I can't get any overclock stable above 4.2Ghz@1.25volts.

But at the moment I'm have a oh no moment, I shut down my machine to swap fans, when I started it again I got a overclock failed message.
    Checked my settings, all was fine, exactly how I had them before which passed all the tests, saved bios, bang same message.
    BCLk was set to 100.05 (by me), but I dropped it back to the default 100.00, all was working again.
    I can overclock to 4.2Ghz@1.25v, but I just can't adjust the BCLK at all anymore, I was able to prior to the fan swap.

I'm running G-Skill Ripjaw 2666Mhz DDR4, and XMP profile.

What I didn't understand was why it has been working this whole time but all of a sudden the CPU doesn't like the 100.05 BCLK, I haven't changed anything besides 2 fans on the RAD.

I keep having that sinking feeling like I broke something, everything else is fine at either 4Ghz or 4.2Ghz, can even run Prime95, Realbench, Linx, Intel Extreme Tuning Utility etc, the machine is stable (temps are around 77c on a H110 with Prime95).

I reflashed the BIOS, tried the second older BIOS (Gaming 7 has 2 BIOS's), neither can up the BCLK at all anymore.
    Do you think there's an issue now that the BCLK can't be adjusted, or was I just lucky at the time..lol

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  13. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Shouldn't be too problematic playing with such tiny adjustments (I think you can usually go a few % either way with bclk, but it's pretty flaky), not entirely sure what you achieve in doing so though.

VCCSA, VCCIN and LLC are the main things to play with in addition to Vcore if you want to push some higher multis.

PS. Hope people aren't using Prime95 with AVX2 instruction sets on these chips :Paranoid:

14. Supersize

Supersize Member

Umm yeah I did, (didn't see the warnings prior) for 30 seconds right before I shutdown (due to hard lock) and couldn't adjust the BCLK at all again.
    It's perfectly fine at 100.00, but not at 100.05, bios fails the overclock before it even boots. (error code 00) then throws the error message "overclock failed press F1 for setup".

Yet I can overclock the CPU to 4.2Ghz using 1.200volts (reads 1.190 in CPU-Z), cache is at 3.5Ghz (ring voltage of 1.060), upped the VCCIN to 1.900 instead of the default 1.800, and the machine is completely stable.

Worries me that I damaged the CPU with the quick run of prime95 28.7, but it seriously wasn't that long 30 seconds at a static cpu voltage of 1.25, VCCIN was on default at the time.
    Not even using a XMP profile..

Yet I get no crashes, passes all tests, AIDA64 (4 hours), Realbench stress test (4 hours), OCCT:CPU @ Large Data Set (2hours, until the front end crashed occt.exe, the cpuocct64.exe test was still running and hadn't frozen, started OCCT.exe and it picked up from where it crashed).

So really it's just messing with the BCLK causes overclocks to fail in either bios.

update:
    Ok sorted, I did a BIOS reflash on both BIOS's, pulled the BIOS battery (already tried the reset switch), and bam can adjust BCLK again.
    Man I was worried...lol...

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  15. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

Any advice to third tier timings that should be played with to increase memory bandwidth (i know mem performance doesn't really matter, BUT if i can squeeze out the most then so be it! This is Overclockers australian anyway isn't it? ;) ).

ATM i've got the uncore at 1.2v @ 4000mhz, and pushing 58gb/s reads, 63gb/s writes and 68gb/s copies, with latency at 55.2ns.

16. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Don't quote me but I think the components most at risk from those AVX stress tests are on the motherboard as the FIVR tries to draw a few hundred amps :shock:

17. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

I've seen quite a few people say that. Wouldn't keeping an eye on temps for the VRM's solve that issue nearly instantly.

I've got temp probes on the vrm's and they don't go past 45C when prime95'ing. Although i've only done it for 5-10 mins at a time to get a ROUGH idea to see if it's going to run.

Even with my rock stable o/c on my 2600k, i only ran prime for 15 mins and pretty much could determine if it was going to fail or not within 15 mins. Otherwise it'd be rock-solid for days.

18. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

It's not heat per se, it's the massive draw of current and the ratings of the EPS connection I believe. Although if it's a problem you'd hope your PSU trips from the current draw before anything dies. Apparently they're ok with the AVX2 sets at stock settings.

I see around 50 degree under heavy load on my VRMs, that's on a deluxe so I'd assume the RVE has better cooling than mine. Raja's rule of thumb was to actively cool the VRM sink for > 4Ghz, I've just got a small fan sitting above it which helps a lot with VRM temps :thumbup:

19. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

Got a 200mm fan taking the heat out along with a rear 140mm fan, and 3x120mm fans just above the vrm's, plus the little 40mm fan that the Sabertooth has for the heatpipes.

20. Supersize

Supersize Member

My case is a Enthoo Primo.
    Now I like air flow, so I removed the stupid little panel over the front 140mm fans so it get's direct airflow.
    I also removed the 5 1/4 drive bay cover and stuck in another 140mm fan.
    Not to mention 2x 140mm intakes on the bottom of the case.

I've got a 140mm rear exhaust and 2x 140mm top exhausts through the H110 RAD..

Yeah I know it's overkill, but I can keep the fan speed low (nearly inaudable) and get awesome airflow..
    Summer is coming and I'm glad I have the split system right about my PC...lol...

Just did an hour of AIDA64 stressing CPU, Cache, FPU and Memory, all good with the .05 BCLK increase.
    Temps hit 64c, but again my RAD fan's (Noctua's) were only at 50%.
    I backed off the overclock a bit to 4Ghz and 3.5Ghz cache, I lost all of 40 points in Cinebench, so really I'm not going to noice much in day to day use, and it's not worth it for the extra heat.
    4.5Ghz maybe, but I'd wait for custom cooling for that.

But I was that guy who ran a 4790k with the stock 4.4Ghz locked to all cores..lol..

But aren't those x99 systems a thing of beauty..lol
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015