1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Intel's Upcoming X58 Chipset Does SLI Without Nvidia's Chipset..

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 28, 2008.

1. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

This is only for X58 based motherboards, it will not include any others at this point in time.

X58 Boards marked under the "SLI Licensed" scheme do not need/use Nvidia's nForce 200 chipset, for basic SLI functionality...

But there will be X58 based motherboards that come with Nvidia's nForce 200 Chipset that give you more full speed PCI-Express slots, for the possibility of running up to four cards at full PCI-Express 2.0 speeds....real Quad SLI anyone?

Check out slides 3 and 4 for the differences between a X58 board with and without a nvidia chip on it.

Slides for your enjoyment...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  2. Hooblah

Hooblah Member

Nice, More Options For us.

3. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

And hopefully less buggy nvidia chipsets....

4. Gillyske

Gillyske Member

might get nvidia back in the game.

5. Kurosaki

Kurosaki Member

I expect 6 months before someone comes out with a hack to allow non-certified boards or maybe even X38/X48 boards to have SLI.

6. ryooma

ryooma (Banned or Deleted)

nvidia caved in! lol

tsk tsk tsk good thing that intel told them who's the boss!

without this deal:

1. you could kiss nvidia chipset business goodbye!
    2. less revenue for discrete video card since people interested in multi-gpu setup would probably move to ATI. and even if they retain the AMD chipsets, it'll be nothing compared to losing the Intel side.

7. impact_player

impact_player Member

Excellent. I'd been expecting this, glad to see it's happened. Now I'd like to see them just open it up entirely, although as mentioned above, I reckon hacked drivers will be available soon enough.

8. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

The most common configurations are generally with two cards, with a rare amount of people wanting three card SLI and full speed pci-express. I wonder what the price difference between the boards.

Nvidia have stated they are skipping this set of processors and not directly making motherboards. From what i recall nvidia's motherboard business was about 20% of their income and they owned more than 50% of the market.

So i doubt this decision was made lightly and i'm sure they are going to be well paid for it.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  9. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

yep, and nVidia has currently a lot of other problems. They chose the lesser of 2 evils.

10. impact_player

impact_player Member

Tweaktown say that nVidia expect end users will cheat the system but that they're only worried about OEMs and manufacturers paying the licence fees and nVidia won't do anything to stop users. :thumbup:

Now, nVidia, if we could please get SLI on Intel X38/48 and P45, as I've promised numerous times, I will buy two, maybe even three nVidia cards tomorrow....

11. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

What is "basic"? Sounds like a limitation.

12. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

2 cards natively, 3 or 4 cards will require the nforce 200 bridge thingy. Or so it seems.

edit: oh, no - based on those slides, it seems "basic" is 3 or 4 slots where they aren't ALL x16.

13. m0po

m0po Member

(Agg edit: don't post that kind of thing, it's totally pointless. the 10 char limit exists for a reason.)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2008
  14. jamiemao

jamiemao Member

intel made them squirm, so finally more choice for us. i gotta say, it does make sense to only offer it for the new chipset

15. MichaelMR2

MichaelMR2 Member

Yesss, but then intel does not seem to like giving goodies like 4 x16 electrical slots :|

I wait for the day that a board comes out with atleast that config..imagine a MATX board with that ;)

16. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Thief, steal my slides will you Agg :p:lol: lol

17. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Saved me digging up the press kit somewhere else. :)

18. Hooblah

Hooblah Member

4 16x slots on a matx board is useless...for a while (hell when PCI dies it might be common to have that many) Im now hoping for a mATX board with 2 16x slots that can be used for either SLI or Crossfire

19. ryooma

ryooma (Banned or Deleted)

if I were intel, I'll stipulate in the agreement that jen-sun(?) must publicly apologise for the things he said and admit they were wrong in withholding sli.

make him beg!

20. 8MadDog8

8MadDog8 Member

I do like the aspect that you can have two full x16 slots on just the x58 chipset. This way it will make it easier to choose between nVidia/ATi for gfx cards. Because you dont really need 4 x16 slots, i think either 2 GTX280's or 2 4870/4870x2's should be good enough for just about anyone :p :D