Interesting Spam.....

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by revhed, Sep 10, 2013.

1. revhed

revhed Member

Was forwarded the message below from our marketing department. I'm not sure if the correspondent is being serious or not. On the surface it would seem to be a complaint that warrants some follow up - except for the following:

• Uses a Hushmail account to mask their actual address.
    • Why would you send a complaint such as this to a marketing email?
    • It's not like it's hard to find our reception contact information and call directly to the IT section.
    • The complaint contains no real details about the incident (We don't have offices in NZ so would only have occurred if the correspondent was in specific parts of Australia)

Is anyone else getting similar messages? Note that the identifying information has been redacted in case the correspondent is serious (but misguided)

2. bsbozzy

bsbozzy Member

Just one email or many?

3. OP
    OP
    revhed

revhed Member

Just the one, which is why it's harder to interpret as spam.

I've googled most of the details but nothing really comes up. I've considered calling the number or replying, but that's probably not the smartest thing if it really is spam.

4. Great_Guru

Great_Guru Member

5. tin

tin Member

Isn't hushmail a web based email service focused on anonymity? Headers will most likely be real - why would you fake Hushmail when you could fake someone else like the company they claim to be from?

I'd say it's a genuine non-spam email. Whether it's a crackpot or not is the big question to me. Could be a self-appointed computer sleuth working with half a dozen wrong assumptions. Or it could be a real IT genius with poor communications skills.
    Could also be some sort of weird scam... The phone number isn't a NZ premium number, is it?

Personally I wouldn't call the number, but I would probably email them back asking for why they thought this was the case (maybe using a disposable email address on the company domain?).

6. OP
    OP
    revhed

revhed Member

I don't know how to determine it's a "premium" number. I googled it and there don't appear to be any links to businesses that appear in the top entries. The number starts +6421300xxxxx

The puzzling part is it's not the broken english you usually get with scam type emails.

7. tin

tin Member

According to Wikipedia, that's a Vodafone NZ mobile number.

Yeah. I noticed that too. It's more the type of cryptic email someone worried about privacy would write - possibly also why they want the phone call (less prone to snooping in their mind).

8. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

Could it be a phising excursion or an attempt at social engineering? Especially considering it's been sent to the marketing department titled "complaint" rather than an enquiry through official channels (eg. phone switchboard / reception).

I'd delay response until they attempt to contact you a second time. Surely they're not serious unless they pick up the phone.

9. tin

tin Member

That's not really a valid way to look at things anymore. There's a growing number of people who'd prefer to use email - easier to catch people (they won't be in a meeting or at lunch), records can be kept, doesn't cost anything, time zones aren't an issue, etc.

That said, if they want a phone call back rather than email, they aren't likely to be in that category.

10. Crusher

Crusher Member

Probably a telemarketer trying to get IT/senior mgmt to call them so they can sell them toner cartridges

11. heydonms

heydonms Member

My vote goes for crazy over telemarketing. Back when I worked for an IT support company we would get a couple each year "my xbox is reading my thoughts", "hackers are breaking into my laptop and drinking my beer", etc.

He probably saw an ad for your company the day before Word crashed and his car started leaking oil and now he is convinced a super hacker at your company is responsible.

If you are curious I would call from a pay phone and avoid giving any identifying details about yourself or even your company (if he has sent a dozen of these out to different people you don't want him deciding you are the one worth harassing). It should be pretty obvious pretty quickly if he is legit, I think it is more likely you will get to hear about how satellites are watching him through the oven.

12. eyeLikeCarrots

eyeLikeCarrots Member

This is going to sound tin-foil and try-hard-hackerish but the umlat over the e in the word comunique made me sus right away.

I know its a thin arguement but working where I do we get A LOT of both scatter gun and subject relevent targetted spear phishing emails, you spider senses tingle pretty quick when you see something like that that is out of context.

13. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

i noticed that as well.
    i also noticed that the sender mentioned his "notebook computer".
    the only people i know that call them notebook computers are the companies that make them.
    everyone else calls them laptops or notebooks.
    it would be like someone saying they had an issue with their personal computer.