Interesting website discussing PC history..

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by toe2toe, May 10, 2007.

1. toe2toe

toe2toe Member

Came across this very interesting website today which discusses historical achievements and hardware that stands out in the history of the PC:

http://redhill.net.au/ig.html

I'm up to the 286 era under CPUs at the moment. ;)

EDIT: Up to pentium vs 686 now.. it goes into details about the early tussles between Intel and AMD as well. A quote to tempt people..

Last edited: May 10, 2007
  2. Whisper

Whisper Member

Very interesting indeed

Only makes me realise just how much stuff I've forgotten.

3. OP
    OP
    toe2toe

toe2toe Member

I found it very nostalgic as well, took me back to days of playing return to zork on my mates 386. It must have been one of those 386DX-40s because I reckon it was always faster than our 486 was.. And then a bit further on to when I built my first system, a slot-A thunderbird 700. Windows 98 was so fast on that system. :leet:

One thing though, it did make me wonder why AMD's market share hasn't been a lot higher than it was. This was around 1998:
    Soon after that AMD had the better chip with the Athlon. It was neck and neck for a while and then Intel had woes with its 1.13Ghz PIII, then released the shocker PIV. How did Intel manage to gain market share back throughout this period?? Doesn't make any sense.. :confused:

4. dirtyd

dirtyd Member

Advertising, brand recognition, and that bloody annoying little jingle! OEM builders that included it in their ads got discounts, so of course they all did it. AMD's products have really been superior from that time up until Core 2 Duo, but their marketing and advertising is almost non-existent except to enthusiasts, who, as we all know, make up a very small percentage of the overall market.

5. OP
    OP
    toe2toe

toe2toe Member

I figured that.. before I read through those pages though I never realised Intel had less than 50% market share at one stage. For some reason I though they always had the majority.

Don't want to turn this into an AMD vs Intel thread though. I finished reading through the rest of that site today, the motherboard and other sections definitely aren't as interesting as their section on CPUs.

6. Whisper

Whisper Member

I'm still getting over the fact that CPU's used to come as DIP's

Last edited: May 13, 2007
  7. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Please...... The only thing AMD has been better known for is the gaming side. Have you actually ever seen a comparison in areas like compression, encoding etc? The P4 leaves the AMD for dead, its not even a comparison to be honest. Given AMD have had some nice chips along the way, to agree with the above statement at all I would want to see some pretty overwhelming data....

To the op, cheers for that link takes me back to my first PC too, it rocked up without a mouse for the first night. Taught me alot about keyboard shortcuts thought :)

8. Whisper

Whisper Member

Dude

What benchmarks have you been looking at?

The Pentium 4 hasn't left an AMD for dead in any benchmark for most of the life of those CPU's.

I am not an AMD Fan boi, I hate the stupid chipset issues you have with AMD based CPU's or at least had at those times, but what I have said is simply a statement of fact.

9. firthy

firthy Member

Very interesting read, bought back a lot of memories, My first work pc, an old 286, and my first "real" home pc I built a 386 DX40 - wow so long ago. (I did have an amiga 500 pevious but that was for purely gaming then). As I read thru I got flashbacks like when I upgraded to a 486DX/4-100. Nice read, would be good if it went a bit further into the A64+ era as well...

10. OP
    OP
    toe2toe

toe2toe Member

Yeah, it seems as though the company went out of business or something. Although that doesn't explain why their website is still up. Maybe someone in Ballarat can check it out and see if they're still there?

11. Tony

Tony New Member

this guy waxes on about hard drives and motherboards like his life depends on it

this is really nerdly

12. Whisper

Whisper Member

You really are in the wrong place to be tossing around the nerdy word

13. Tony

Tony New Member

yeah but come on

do you actually see someone on OCAU going "oh yeah, remember the IBM 45GXP, what a great drive"

"what about the FIC KVM-008 motherboard - fantastic"

"the UMC 486TX board - what crap"

ok I can expect people here to know the really landmark boards like the Abit BP6 and the ECS K7S5A and the current drives like the Seagate 7200.8 or something...

but yeah... his knowledge of components down to the model number is astounding

14. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

heh You're not much of a nerd are you :p

I don't remember 486 mb models, no, but if I worked in a PC shop i probably would have.. or was more heavily into things at the time.

15. The Bad Egg

The Bad Egg Member

Red Hill is a great little site, I use it quite often during agruments about when things were released, etc.

Yeah, people remember those old model numbers on OCAU, there are more than one member here that has a very good knowledge of older parts....anyway, thats mainly from the parts the Red Hil has worked on over the years.

http://redhill.net.au/a/a-about.html

It even says "Red Hill- on the net for 13 years". It not something that they have just chucked up in the last few months. I remember when it was almost current (2002 stuff was up in 2003)

I hope that they put the later hardware up sooner or later, hopefully it gets done one day :D

toe2toe: AFAIK, they are still going ;) I have rung them once ages ago, and the guy (cant remember his name) basicly said that he wasnt intending to stop trading any time soon.

16. faceboy88

faceboy88 Member

Not a bad read on all of that- I'm a 'youngin'- being only 18, and my first real PC was an AMD K6/2 300 in 2000.... Other than that I remember playing warcraft on a 486 and Wolf3d on a Wang 286 ;)

17. OP
    OP
    toe2toe

toe2toe Member

Cool, I hope they do keep updating the website too as it is very useful and in depth. I only started building my own PCs when the Athlons came out but reading about the earlier stuff was good because I was using PCs from back in the apple II days.

18. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

Well, he's running a PC shop, isn't he? He'd probably have to get to know most of the components pretty well.

I've read that site a few times. It's always good to read about the really old models - and a different viewpoint is also interesting.

19. HeatVision

HeatVision Member

From http://redhill.net.au/c/c-g.html

"first, the Athlon had an enormous 128MB primary cache (four times the size of a Pentium-III's primary cache)"

Surely he means KB, right?

Apart from that, a good trip down memory lane.

20. archie

archie Member

wow... memories!

i remember being a youngin' (didnt know too much back them but more than my mates :p ).... shopkeeper told me that cyrix cpus were made by some backyard company and overheated *all* the time (200MHz era) so buy intel as they were better.... unfortunately I believed him (around 1995) :(