Internet down every morning

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Erwino, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Erwino

Erwino Member

I seem to be having a very unusual problem. Every morning when I wake, my internet is down and the internet indicator on my router is red. A power cycle every morning fixes the issue.

On Saturday night, my hard drive failed and I reformatted windows onto a new SSD. That night I left a few games download over night and there wasn't a problem, but the following night, and every night since, 20 mins after going to bed, the internet drops out. It's very frustrating because I can't get any of my downloads done at night.

I just can't see how the 2 events (modem drop out and new windows formatting) can be related.

I've checked the power options and have sleep disabled on my PC. I think it's more a router problem than a PC problem.

Please help, I'm stumped.

2. asho444

asho444 Member

Have you tried leaving your PC off over night to see if it drops out?

3. OP
    OP
    Erwino

Erwino Member

No, but that is a good idea. I'll try tonight

4. ex4n

ex4n Member

what router?
    what internet connection?

5. OP
    OP
    Erwino

Erwino Member

It's a D'Link N750 and ADSL2 connection

It happened again whilst I was away at work today, so seems to be when the computer sits idle.

6. ex4n

ex4n Member

Shouldn't matter whether your PC is doing anything or not, shouldn't even matter if your PC is turned on.
    Log into your modem and go to the PPP settings, not sure exactly what it will be called but it should have an option like 'dial on mode' and make sure that it set to always on, and not on demand or something else. There might also be an option for 'keep alive' make sure that is on too.
    See if you can find those settings, and what they are currently set to.

7. OP
    OP
    Erwino

Erwino Member

So I left my PC off last night and when I woke this morning, the internet was still connected.

Under WAN settings there was an option called "Connect mode select" but it was already set to "always on"

I know it doesnt seem right and I realise that the PC should have no impact on the router, but nothing has changed on the router, the only change that has occurred since this problem is the windows reformatting and the internet didn't die last night with the computer turned off. So I'm very puzzled.

Tonight I'm going to try leaving the PC on, but not have it downloading anything. Since reformatting on Saturday night, I've had downloads running every night. Could the issue be somehow related to downloading? the NBN guys have been laying down fibre these last few months and NBN website says my address is due to have FTTN installed next month. Could this be related?

8. asho444

asho444 Member

unless your pc is spamming your router with connect requests or something along those lines?
    maybe try downloading the latest driver for your network card and uninstall and re-install the driver

9. OP
    OP
    Erwino

Erwino Member

I wouldn't even know where to find the driver's. It's an old Asus P7P55 LX motherboard and on the Asus website the last driver was a bios driver from 2012. I'll try install that one, but not sure if it'll have any impact in the network adaptor.

10. asho444

asho444 Member

11. asho444

asho444 Member

also your NIC is a Realtek 8112L real pain in the ass find anything for

12. Hater

Hater Member

you could try a $5 PCI-E NIC and see if that sorts it...

13. ex4n

ex4n Member

Your ISP may provide a log of how frequently your ADSL is reconnecting, and whether it's a sync drop out or an auth drop out. Might be worth looking into that.

elh9 likes this.
  14. elh9

elh9 Member

Could be coincidental with the pc / reformat / downloading / etc.
    The area I'm in is running ADSL2+ and NBN (FTTN) services over the same infrastructure and both services are negatively impacted. My connection drops out quite frequently, and semi-regularly - but definitely not every day. Op, do you know if you are in the same situation?

15. OP
    OP
    Erwino

Erwino Member

So yesterday whilst I was at work, my pc was still on but not downloading anything. My finance reported that the internet never went down and when I get home it was still up and running. So I did some more testing last night. I left the PC on last night but didn't have any downloads running and the internet didn't cut out. So it seems the issue is only whilst I'm downloading and the computer is idle.

I'll update the drivers tonight and run the PC again tonight downloading see if it fixes the issue. I'm running windows 10 pro

I'll try that if I can't get any other fixes to work.

I'll call them and see if I can get this information. If I can, how will it help?

NBN isn't quite hooked up here, but the NBNco website says it will be available next month, so it's definitely close and I've seen the techs in the suburb doing the ground work. My connection doesnt seem to drop out randomly, rather it drops out consistently when my PC is downloading and idle.

16. Westerntribal

Westerntribal Member

Try
    'Enable DNS Relay'
    under 'Setup'->'Network Settings'

17. de_overfiend

de_overfiend Member

firmware update for the modem... im surprised no one has suggested this.

18. OP
    OP
    Erwino

Erwino Member

I haven't been experiencing the problem since around 22nd december, but then again I havent been running downloads over night. I've got something coming up to download which will test it again.

19. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

Might be an electrical leakage issue over the Ethernet cable or partial shorting or whatever, if you happen to have a spare dumb switch then interpose it between the suspected device and the router and see what happens.