REVIEW Internet just for Netflix (Dad is a Pensioner) Computer Illiterate!

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Warface, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Warface

Warface Member

Hey guys,

I hope someone can help me here. My Dad is 76 years old, and with the times we face at the moment with Covid 19, I'd like to see if it's possible to set him up Netflix. Now I'd buy him a compatible TV for it, however, my issue is, is the internet for him. I was wondering if a standard SIM card internet dongle can stream internet through a laptop for him just to watch Netflix?

I need to make this as simple as possible, as he is nearly an hours drive away from me. I have a Windows 10 laptop I could set up for him and write simple instructions for him to access Netflix, but would a SIM card work for internet without setting up an internet plan or modem? I hope this make sense and any feedback much appreciated!

2. d1ng0d4n

d1ng0d4n Member

Whilst 4G net would probably pull it off, the data usage would ruin you. I'd suggest hooking him up on the cheapest 12/1 or 25/5 unlimited NBN plan you can find (if it's an option out there)

Zee likes this.
  3. Zee

Zee Member

Far easier with an Apple TV or a tablet. Far too many steps with a PC, and lots of shitty pop-ups for random shit that will drive him mad (hell, Win 10 drives me mad, and I know what I'm doing).

The other thing will be the data limits on a mobile connection. Video is pretty demanding, so, if you can find a data sim that will allow enough data, I'd be looking at an iPad or Android tablet with a sIm slot.

Far, far simpler.

Z...

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  4. power

power Member

unlimited NBN that's what i put my parents on it's used for streaming video through set top boxes/smart tv's and mum uses an ipad for stuffs.

the added bonus is no line rental as well so realistically you are paying stuff all here.

i put her on TPG NBN and she's had almost no issues and is on the cheapest unlimited which is i think $50-60.

she's never owned a pc and can't use them, easy is good.

Zee likes this.
  5. connico

connico Member

Data would ruin you with 4G...

Zee is right about the PC being a means to an ends...

If he is competent with a Phone and applications he should be able to use a Phone / Tablet with a Chromebox or Apple TV. Don't need a new TV unless is ancient...

He operates the phone and chooses what he wants and tells it to play on the TV via the magic stream on TV button

Zee likes this.
  6. miicah

miicah Member

You don't need a laptop to use a 4G dongle. Just get a standalone one.

7. OP
    OP
    Warface

Warface Member

Oh thanks so much for the quick replies! I totally appreciate this. In regards to his skills he can barely send a text message, he calls them sims messages. A lot of things to do here, thanks again!

8. slavewone

slavewone Member

Streaming Netflix here fine with a cheap Hisense Smart TV and built in Netflix app with super crappy ADSL. It’s not my Netflix but I think we’ve dropped it down to the lowest or second lowest resolution.

Also working fine now the adsl is capped to 1024 with the forced isolation. So 50gigs in 5 days.

12/1 will kick it in as long as the gigs are enough or are capped afterwards.

Edit; flipconnect have $45 -50 unlimited plans ranging from basic to standard speeds.

9. OP
    OP
    Warface

Warface Member

Can I plug a 4G wifi dongle into say Apple TV or another compatible device and it?

10. OP
    OP
    Warface

Warface Member

He has a 1080 led tv I can get him another one with Netflix, from ALDI, its just the internet issue

11. connico

connico Member

Would be cheaper in the long run to get him NBN. If you're happy to get 4G optus has a 500GB @ $68 special but its a contract

Most dongles will be be a wifi hotspot or otherwise if you go with wireless broadband, the router will have an inbuilt switch most of the time

12. miicah

miicah Member

13. OP
    OP
    Warface

Warface Member

Have you got a link at all? On Optus site at the moment

14. connico

connico Member

15. Zee

Zee Member

Totally - I'm with Optus mobile, as they have the best plan when you're overseas as often as I am. When I'm in Sydney, I find the reception to be highly variable. Sucks at my dad's, OK at my place, good at my coffee shop of choice, shit at one of my current work sites - which is annoying as hell, as they don't have yet have interwebs connected, which means I keep having to go outside tot he street any time I need to download a new file for the control system, or grab an update. Annoying as hell.

Z...

16. di_entropy

di_entropy Member

SpinTel NBN 200GB 25/5 plan with home phone bundle $60 p/m

Not sure how much streaming he is planning on doing, but this is what we did with my father and sounds like he is in a very similar situation. Only ever had a home phone line, technologically illiterate and doesn't even have a mobile phone.

We just got him a cheap Hisense smart TV with a big red Netflix button down the bottom that he needs to press, couldn't be any easier.

Warface likes this.
  17. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Some 4G plans include free (unmetered) Netflix. If you're literally going to be doing nothing but Netflix, they'd work.

I wouldn't do a laptop. I'd do a Smart TV that has a "Netflix" button on the remote. Then call it a "channel", and if he can flip from Channel 9 to Channel 10, he can flip to "Channel Netflix".

18. clonex

clonex Member

can he operate a tvguide etc on a tv? if so buy a tv with inbuilt netflix app. mil figured out how to use the hisense tv, even has a netflix button

19. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Not with the Optus unlimited 4G/5G packges.

JSmith

20. OP
    OP
    Warface

Warface Member

Thanks again guys, he just has an Optus mobile phone, old school one, no landline, also nothing but Netflix