Internet to Granny Flat

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Electric, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Electric

Electric Member

I am currently living in the main residence of a property and have some family staying in a granny flat on our property (looks to be med-long term).

I would like to extend the internet to the granny flat and give them their own network and WiFi.

My thinking is to run an Ethernet cable from a LAN port on my modem to the granny flat and then plugging this into a separate modem I will locate in the flat through its WAN port. Will this work and will this enable them to have control over their own WiFi as well as have devices plugged directly into that modem/router?

Also if there are any better ideas for this setup, I'm keen to hear them.

2. caspian

caspian Member

you won't want a second modem, all you will need is a switch/WAP or basic wifi router. just connect the LAN feed from the building to the EWAN of the granny flat router, set it for DHCP authentication, and chances are the double NAT isn't going to worry anybody.

no need to make it any more complicated unless someone has a specific need for some sort of functionality.

3. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

A dumb switch will make sure there's no double NAT though, so if you havent bought something the dumbest least featureful 5 port switch your IT retailer sells is ideal. I tend to use tplink's metal cased dumb as shit TL-SG105 for that sort of thing because it's cheap and available and doesnt overheat.

One caveat to what caspian said that almost certainly doesnt apply to your granny flat... if the flat had a seperate electricity meter it might be on a different phase, and you really shouldnt be running copper between them in that case. if it's all off the same meter no worries

JSmithDTV likes this.
  4. dimension11

dimension11 Member

I would go with the running Ethernet Cables option, although I would recommend running 2-3 as likely they may break over time and if you're already gonna run 1 you might as well at least have 2-3 of the cables there.

If you plug in a second modem/router into the cables that you run you'll end up having a Double NAT, as stated above it shouldn't cause problems 99% of the time, except in the situation where someone wants to run a server. In theory the speeds shouldn't suffer much either, although old school internet purists would argue that you should never NAT a NAT. However having a Double NAT is a good isolation for them as you can't access their network, however they'll likely still be able to access your network, unless you have some specific firewall rules in place in the main NAT router. But if security isn't a major concern then you should be ok.

5. caspian

caspian Member

I'm not a fan of double NAT, but it's probably cheaper and easier (plus less gear and pluggage/cordage) than a switch and WAP. plus you can throttle the entire connection to the granny flat by controlling one LAN client from the main gateway if required.

personally I wouldn't bother laying extra cables now, but definitely leave a draw rope in there.

the other option would be to run an EOP link if both buildings are on the same phase (which seems likely given one property? :noob: ). just keep it away from the incoming DSL link if that's what the access technology is. as long as the EOP link bandwidth is as fast as the internet to the premises then that's probably good enough.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  6. Pugs

Pugs Member

One: If the router or modem is run in Wan Bypass you avoid the units NAT table

Two: diy cabling is illegal

If installed by a properly trained technician the shouldn't "break" but they would know tricks on how to prevent that and or provide ways around making a new install easier...

And Three: As caspian suggested The OP should give EoP a crack (buy from no questions asked / good returns policy)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  7. Beanz

Beanz Member

Calm down, he might be buying 20M pre-terminated cables. Nothing illegal about that.

ShaneHm2 likes this.
  8. caspian

caspian Member

Pugs likes this.
  9. Pugs

Pugs Member

Yes there is.. they are against the regs to use as in wall cabling

10. dimension11

dimension11 Member

One: We don't actually know what the main Modem/Router box is, but presumably it's a consumer level box, which will probably not let you run a single LAN port in bypass mode. It'll likely let you run everything, or nothing. You could potentially have a 3 router set up in a 'Y' configuration where you can have the main router as a dumb switch feeding off 2 sub routers, which would improve the security issue.

Two: No one said anything about DIY.

But I definitely agree that EoP is definitely a solution to be considered.

11. Nobby6

Nobby6 Member

it's a bitch more often than not, with VoIP

12. OP
    OP
    Electric

Electric Member

Did not realise that there was such an issue legally with ethernet cabling! I guess there are regulations for everything. A mate of mine is an electrician and did the extra cabling in our house when when we moved in so not a big deal if I have to get him out to do it.

I have heard mixed reviews about EOP. The granny flat is on the same phase but has its own circuit breaker which I have heard can cause issues. I would rather just do it properly with ethernet even if I have to spend a bit of money to get it done.

I would like to avoid the double NAT if possible, it may not cause any issues now but I want to avoid any happening in the future and having to deal with any complaints if something does not work. I see running a simple switch would resolve that issue but to get the WiFi there I guess I need a router? Any suggestions on a simple router with WiFi I could run to avoid the double NAT and plug into my modem/router?

13. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

You dont need a router for wifi, a straight wifi access point is all you need. If you need it to have the same SSID as inside the house though you might start needing to look at mesh-capable systems of access points

dimension11 likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    Electric

Electric Member

Ok, got it.

Ethernet to the granny flat > into a basic switch > wifi access point. That will make sure I don't have any double NAT issues?

Even with a basic 4 port switch that will leave them with 2 available (one for incoming line, other for wireless) which should be fine.

Pugs and dimension11 like this.
  15. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Yeah that's correct.

16. power

power Member

family?

drop an extender out there or something like that.

17. dragonFLAME

dragonFLAME Member

get a PTP link with some nanos (power way down) and pop it in widows that see each other and wont be blocked on the reg and bam sneaky link

power likes this.
  18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I assume it's fine if you are going internally in the structure, it's a problem when you go into walls and roof.

19. Pugs

Pugs Member

If one is simply running a cable around the edge of a room and using ways to make it neat and not a trip hazard then it is fine.. the issues arise once you penetrate the wall, floor, ceiling or roof to get that cable to another room...

Also being a run to what could be a separate building and via outside there are other steps that need to be taken to ensure the cable doesn't become a Lightning rod / conductor back to the modem and other wired devices...

20. Vo0do0

Vo0do0 Member

Does the potential occupants of the granny flat require cabled internet access ? or will wireless be all that is required ?

Could you run your ethernet cable as discussed above into a dumb switch in the flat and plug a Unifi UAP-AC-LITE into one of the ports to provide wireless to the granny flat? then you sort the wireless issue without worrying about 2 routers.

Or better still if wireless is all thats is required, phones/tablets etc buy a Unifi UAP AC-LR (long range) you could install it in the main house and provide house and Granny flat with wireless, then set up a guest account for the granny flat using the Unifi controller software..