Introducing Windows Vienna >> Vista successor in 2 years

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by dinos22, Feb 12, 2007.

1. dinos22

dinos22 Member

:lol: how good is that....MS hasn't even released Vista yet but they've already got a replacement around the corner lol

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,128888-c,vistalonghorn/article.html

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  2. Protagonist

Protagonist Member

Lets all skip Vista and wait for Vienna!!!

3. -=N0N@ME420=-

-=N0N@ME420=- Member

I have no idea what that means, by this os do you mean vista? If so Vista has been out for a few weeks now

I hope not. If anything is learnt from Vista it's don't overhype.

4. stroggos2k

stroggos2k Member

Wasn't Vista due out in 2003? This'll probably come out in 2013 then.

5. Deltoid

Deltoid Member

Considering most businesses will have trouble seeing a reason to spend the money to go from XP to Vista. Hearing that there is a new OS coming in little more then 2 years I'd think that most wouldn't bother making the effort to go to Vista at all.

6. FLB

FLB Member

Not alot different than 2000 --> XP. That was just under 2 years between releases.

And this will only be a point release anyway, 6.0 to 6.1

7. cyrax83

cyrax83 Member

I'm not surprised, Vista took them a long time to get working since they said they basically scrapped their project and started again from the ground up.

Now that they have the basic framework going in Vista, they can just do a small improvement without alot of effort and bring in Vienna. Like someone else said, similar to 2000 -> XP, since they where very similar besides the interface and having a more polished look.

8. tin

tin Member

Yep. And by the time most even got through the testing of their apps, licensing and planning a deployment, this new one will have been out for months anyway.
    Probably best for any business with more than 10 computers to wait.

9. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

fixed :thumbup:

10. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

Fact:

Microsoft's longstanding aim is to release new Windows versions in accordance with a 3 year turnaround.

Fact:

Vista actually took well over five years to get released after XP was initially released.

Fact:

Codename 'Vienna' is currently slated for release in late 2009, which effectively means only 'back on track' with the projected plan.

Fact:

'Vienna' is not simply a point release. According to comments being made it seems likely to be a different underlying structure and a completely different user interface paradigm.

Fallacy:

Microsoft is not planning to make Vista redundant within two years.

11. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

Response: OK

:D

12. tin

tin Member

Oh for crying out loud.... I thought it was a stretch to be still including retraining costs in TCO comparisions now that Vista is out. But if they are bloody well changing it again, they'd better start admitting that retraining is a cost whether you change OS or stay with Windows.

13. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

14. Deckham

Deckham Member

Hate to be a stickler - but don't you mean 'FACT'?

15. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

Yep. That's what I meant. Thanks for pointing it out, cause I won't have to edit it now :lol:

16. -=N0N@ME420=-

-=N0N@ME420=- Member

17. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

i fucking hate linux

sorry but i've tried and it's the most frustrting experience which i just don't want to relive......it's so fucking hard getting support once you hit the wall :(:(:(:(:(

i wish things could just work and that i don't have to spend a few months researching codes to be able to install the OS and then install other shit on it

i've tried to believe me but there is just no easy way to go linux :( :( :( :( :(

i mean have a look at this shit....you have to be a freaking expert to get a driver to work properly
    http://forum.beryl-project.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3450

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  18. Reaper

Reaper Member

They're talking like SP2 for XP is an entirely different operating system.

Right now I'm expecting "vienna" to be just that as well. An update for Vista.

We'll just see if they go the apple route though and charge you for the update.

Right now it's even harder again to decide on OEM vista or retail vista. If it really is a new operating system, then hell, I can last two years easy on one motherboard.

19. n2p4u

n2p4u Member

in my opinion we shouldnt be really upgrading windows anymore except where absolutely neccessary because the function are essentienally exactly the same.

You will not word process faster, you will not spreadsheet faster, you will not database create any faster, you will not run your file server any faster, you will not do file manipulation (move, store, delete, copy) any faster, You may encode video a bit faster or play games at an extra frame rate higher.

But at what cost.

Games = Vista and decent graphics card = Vista price + $200
    Video encode = Vista price and DX10 graphics card = Vista price + $70

and thats presuming you have a core duo or AM2 system and most people in the world do not have AMD 64 or 775 P4 yet. so the upgrading cost will be around the $1000 mark each pc for a decent system

The irony is that vista has things such as DRM and other limitors which will limit how you could use your computer and so all in all. Its like paying for a jail cell that is smaller then your previous one and then buying a smaller carpet to make it more comfy and then doing the same old thing over and over while you old house was perfect and efficent and the perfect size.

The sooner the consumer learns and refuses these Limited Edition (ie limit your possibilities and freedom) products and stick to old and or switch to OSX or linux then the companies who make the games and MS ultimately will have to release DX10 for XP and upgrade it or release DX10 for linux cause if the other companies arnt selling the DX10 games then they will start nagging microsoft and if microsoft ignores they will be forced to either put up with the bullying from MS only DX and reduced sales, Make own DX variant or use the linux variant or make there own Operating system to compete with microsoft.

/me remebers the PC GEOS and WIN 3.1 and WIN 95 Days. Tri Booting without the errors....

Win 95/98 + PCGEOS + MSDOS 6.22 bring back those days and ironically each had less bugs in them and the reset button was more like a decoration then a button you actually used.

20. -=N0N@ME420=-

-=N0N@ME420=- Member

Limit possibilties and freedom?

As opposed to getting a free alternative that gives you endless possibilities and freedom to annoy the crap out of you or a more expensive alternative that traps you in to buying hardware you don't need or want that can't even run modern games.

Windows is superior to OS X because it runs on all hardware not just some products Apple thought were special at the time. That's the way it was in 1990 and that's the way it is in 2007.

Could you point me to some articles where major hardware and software venders are unhappy with the current situation?