iOS 11 Discussion

Discussion in 'Apple iOS (OS & Devices)' started by nugget28, Jun 7, 2017.

1. nugget28

nugget28 Member

Thought I would kick this off seeing as the developer beta came out today in Aus.

Animations and new control centre are nice. I thought the new control centre would be more modular but such is not the case (maybe not yet?). New app store looks nice and its a nice change to what was currently there. Maps have a new weather icon in the bottom and the new notification/lock screen combo is a nice touch as well.

Really not liking the giant headings everywhere though. On the plus all my apps are currently working unlike when the iOS 10 beta came out.

Overall though I am definitely liking it!

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

HEIF/.heic across the board is very welcome. JPEG served us well, but it's time for the world to move on, especially in an all-cloud world with more images being uploaded per year than were captured in the entirety of human history to this point.

The dock-like addition to iPad is not surprising at all. Apple's desire to slowly merge macOS and iOS has been long obvious, and this is one step closer.

3. Hater

Hater Member

Worth jumping on the Beta? I have a dev account, just it hasn't been linked to my phone.

4. kogi

kogi Member

Has anyone tested it yet? If it brings back mouse/touchpad support I would be so happy.

5. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

Not gonna be testing iOS 11, since all I'm interested is the control center, even when the public beta arrives.

I'll just wait until fall for the GM to release

6. Alfonzo

Alfonzo Member

I really really like the dock idea. It's what was needed to start turning iOS into more of a serious OS for computer replacement. Drag and drop across split apps is a fantastic addition too. Files is also going to be very handy, and I'm pleased to see it works with Dropbox straight out of the gate.

I have a lot that I like about this upgrade. Now I'm just waiting on Telstra to figure out if they're going to ship my 9.7" iPad Pro that I ordered back on the 4th of May, or if my order is going to get changed to a 10.5" instead. That, plus a pencil and a keyboard case - I can now honestly say will end up being my primary device around the house and during travel.

7. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

I'm not going to bother with the beta but I think they've now done enough to move me to iPad full time as my portable computer.

I have a Surface Pro 3 right now as my portable but I find myself using my iPad Air 1 more than it.

8. mmBax

mmBax Member

A mate of mine got the beta release and his battery life disappeared.

I think he said he had about an hours usage and it was dropping by the minute.

Anyone else having those problems? It's to be expected to an extent. This was on an iphone 6 I believe.

9. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Battery life always does this for iOS betas.

10. elvis

Don't put beta software on the phone you use day to day.

11. OP
    OP
    nugget28

nugget28 Member

Some small bugs with bluetooth in the control center where you cant turn it on from there.

Battery life is always going to be worse during beta's from all the logging and optimisations to come.

You cant swipe left on notifications to clear them (not sure if this is intended) but you need 3d touch it to bring up a way to dismiss it. Tapping on a text notification now just enables quick reply which is nice.

Im using it as a daily driver and haven't noticed any significant issues at all.

12. dragonFLAME

dragonFLAME Member

Pretty much, been using it since release.

Very buggy but they are heading into a new direction which I feel isn't IOS anymore. Dunno what it is but it's not quite right.

13. elvis

Most analysts have been predicting an eventual merging of Apple's various software platforms. They're claiming macOS/iOS/watchOS will all eventually turn into one OS that crosses all hardware platforms.

Interestingly, every time someone brings it up, Mac fans seem to get pretty upset by the idea (often telling me it'll "never happen" with great certainty). I certainly have no desire for it to happen (I like the difference between phones and computers), but at the same time it's pretty clear to me that it will ultimately go down this path.

Looking over at competitors, Microsoft are already there (regardless of their distant third place in the phone wars, but their tablet sales are increasing). And Android is getting a complete overhaul with a similar "for every device/computer" design goal.

Outside of business, personal computer sales are crashing worldwide. Most home users are moving their personal computing needs to other devices (with OCAU *not* representing the average home user). Phones, tablets, game consoles and even voice controlled assistants are taking those roles away, so it's no surprise that the companies responsible for these things are changing the way their operating systems work to match.

14. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Just ordered 2x 256gb iPad Pro 12.9's for the fiance and myself in anticipation of iOS 11 (and our Air 1's are horribly slow now).

Better live up to the hype!

15. WJR

WJR (Banned or Deleted)

The beta is working fine on my 7+, no glaring bugs that I've found and it's stable with good battery life. It's a keeper for me.

16. Hater

Hater Member

They'll never release an Intel Mac.

Aaaand they did.

And it was shit.

Then OS X server was discontinued, and the X-Serve was discontinued, etc.

Now the hilarity of "Workstation" machines with no upgradable anything. (The trash can)

2006 fucked everything in the desktop lines, this will fuck everything in the consumer line.

Probably end up with phones that have no storage and you have to buy iCloud for it. All your files available instantly across all devices at only $750 a year for 20GB. It's totally fine though, you'll have access to another 18 Emoji keyboards. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  17. elvis

1) Perfect username and avatar for a post of this magnitude.

2) I think you're right. Apple's goal appears to push forward with the homogenised walled garden and control all input and output as much as possible, and that goal will extend to their consumer desktops soon enough.

Consider Byte Magazine's famous 1981 cover:

[​IMG]

What's the glaring error in this prediction? The fact that Apple would ever consider letting you add third party storage to their iWatch to bypass their control-freak ecosystem.

18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

How is iOS 11 beta 2 going?

19. dragonFLAME

dragonFLAME Member

Alot smoother on my 6s, overall the same without any major changes that I can see cosmetically.

Cheers

20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Very buggy at this stage? Or pretty much near completion?