iOS/Android Wifi Connection App

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by Primüs, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Primüs

Primüs Member

Hey Guys,

Not sure if anyones come across this issue before, basically I want to create a corporate wifi app for people to be able to take site to site. The sites aren't confederated, and each have their own wifi password, but rather than give it out to everyone, I want to program them into an app where they turn up, and if the app see's a valid wifi access point, connects to it providing the OS the password, lets them use up to x amount of data, or once past business hours disconnects them again.

We want this to be intrusive on the phone rather than intrusive on the router so we can just add the client sites/work sites into the app master DB for the apps to talk to.

It will require a very heavy level of control over the phones network services, im just not sure if its at all possible to take over THAT much control.

Any ideas? Even if you have seen an app that already accomplishes this so i know its at least possible and I can just keep searching for the right APIs?

Thanks in advance

2. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

I've done a connection manager style app for a bluetooth / BLE device. Use https://developer.android.com/reference/android/net/wifi/WifiManager.html. Make sure your app has the correct permissions in the manifest. Use broadcast recievers and Alarms to handle the cron-style background jobs of disconnecting etc.

I don't think I have to say it but PLEASE don't store creds in your app, you don't even need to be root to extract and APK and extract/decompile to pull sensitive info out. If you really must store creds locally, look into using the Keychain for secure storage. (I know wireless passphrases are stored in plaintext in wpa_supplicant.conf but that's another story).

3. OP
    OP
    Primüs

Primüs Member

Thanks I'll look into that, the idea is that the info is only stored for the duration of use, never want the user to be able to see the password, the app will instead pull the info over https from a central server

4. blankpaper

blankpaper Member

A central server that's internet accessible? Just trying to get my head around how a central server can be accessed if they're not on wifi.

5. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

3/4G/LTE whatever?