iOS9 discussion (all devices)

Discussion in 'Apple iOS (OS & Devices)' started by MR CHILLED, May 26, 2015.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

If this is true then we will see some performance enhancements for older phones.

"Apple iOS 9 rumours include better performance for older device"

http://www.news.com.au/technology/g...or-older-devices/story-fn6vihic-1227368937240

Wonder if they are seeing this move as a way to retain users on older handsets rather than seeing them move away from apple. Recent times may seen people chose to move away from apple rather than upgrade to the latest.

2. Hater

Hater Member

Oh god I hope so, if so i'm trading my 6 in for a 5.

Maybe it's the next big "innovation" to come from Cuppertino.

Are there any features that the iPhone 6 is missing? Wireless charging is all I can think of.

I can imagine it now, actually. "Apple have taken the bold step of leaving the processor in the 6S exactly the same as the 6 - Instead focusing on making iOS lighter, giving you the same speed benefits as an upgraded processor, but with more battery life... also it comes in Bronze. BRONZE IS THE NEW GOLD"

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2015
  3. Wolfje

Wolfje Member

I would like NFC, but I have a very specific use for it. Still, for the general, it couldn't be a bad thing.

4. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

For me I would use it all the time when I don't have a wallet handy. I can't wait for it tbh.

5. Wolfje

Wolfje Member

Yeah. I've seen a lot of hate for NFC from people who reckon that they never use it, but I think most people would love those commbank-style iphone pay things sans apple pay or those paywallet shell things.

6. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I think that's being pushed from the anti-NFC crowd with all their evil skimming conspiracy nonsense.

7. Alfonzo

Alfonzo Member

I'm under the impression that to use NFC / ApplePay on an iPhone you need to authorise the payment via your tough ID thingo on the home button. If that's the case, surely that would mean that there's less of a threat of skimming than if you just had a paywave/pass card in your back pocket?

8. Zee

Zee Member

Home automation? I'm looking at using it for keyless entry...

Z...

9. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

It's unveiled now, with official preview info here and coverage on techcrunch here.

10. Wolfje

Wolfje Member

That too, but nah. I primarily want to use it for IT asset management at work - obviously done before but not on bare metal iPhones and not intuitively. I'd like to be able to tag things a tech is likely to work on onsite.

11. power

power Member

best part of the announcement

Overall it sounds incremental and looking to copy features from Android and third parties in the race to simply keep up.

Here's hoping there's some enterprise stuff in there, because if there is I didn't see it.

12. power

power Member

didn't expect to have my opinion backed up so readily.

Here's Proof of Apple's Downward Fall From Innovator to Imitator

13. bugayev

bugayev Whammy!

Surely everyone needs to play catchup at some point, even Apple? I don't see anything wrong with the major players doing it from time to time, as long as they don't make it their only way of introducing new features.

14. Hater

Hater Member

If it's the same as iOS8 but lighter, slimmer and less resource hungry (read, better on battery life and smoother on a 4S) then that'd be the best feature ever and something android has never been able to mimic. I have a brand new S6, a brand new flagship phone and it's noticeably laggy.

15. power

power Member

I agree with the make it faster than iOS8 comment (but imo 8 is quicker than 7 anyway, although still a fair bit slower than 5 or 6).

However I disagree with the Android comment, every release on both my HTC One M8 and Nexus 9 have made the devices quicker than before.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  16. Hater

Hater Member

There shouldn't be a "quicker" than before, I expect my brand new device to have no lag whatsoever.

17. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Good idea...

"Apple's iOS 9 will let you block ads on iPhone, iPad"

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/...block-ads-on-iphone-ipad-20150612-ghm8tw.html

18. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

Anyone else trying the beta? Installed 9 on our daughters 5S earlier today and so far so good.

19. Ron007

Ron007 Member

No such devices exist, they all lag from time to time. My iPad lags, but it less annoying than my old iPad Air which would need to reload pages or browser crashes because of lack of ram.

It's nice to see a power saving mode finally. On occasions my iPad has chewed through its battery in less than 3 hours, so hopefully it prevents that.

I like that multi window is finally coming too. Just like swype typing, i feel we should have got some of these features sooner.

20. Hater

Hater Member

Bollocks. Even my old-arse Lumia 900 can do it.