1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

iPad Air Charge-Port Replacement (looking for someone with soldering skills)

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by Nasha, May 8, 2020.

1. Nasha

Nasha Member

Hey all,

I'm looking for someone with the means and capabilities to replace the charge port on an iPad Air - known as Apples hardest repair to undertake (it's a surface mount ribbon cable from hell for those that aren't immediately aware).

Dad being the Elec. Eng. of yester-decade or 2, decided he'd give it a shot because the pads looked nice and big on YouTube etc etc.
    Probably just needed some contact cleaner and a cotton tip to clean the port out!

It's not in a saveable state if it's not cleaned up and replaced, but I don't think he's lifted any pads. I'm not even going to pretend I have the abilities, so throwing it out there for the open source community :D

Happy to post the board (Apple in their infinite wisdom decided to attached this cable from hell directly to the main board) along with replacement charge port/cable & return satchel to the person who's willing to give it a go and offer a reasonable chance at success (you're indemnified against breaking it further, I've already told the old bloke it's cactus)

2. merlin13

merlin13 Member

Pics... lots of pics...

3. goldpenis

goldpenis Member

You can't just change the whole cable over? You have the spare? Where are you located?

4. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

Looking at the picture, the other end of the charge port cable is soldered down.

Any good mobile phone repair shop will be able to do it no problems.

It's been years, but I knew the guy who runs this place-
    https://www.sfonefix.com.au/

5. OP
    OP
    Nasha

Nasha Member

Prices start at $175 through to $250 from what I've seen... I could buy a replacement Air 1 for that price

Replied to your PM mate. As dakiller mentioned, the cable is soldered down.
    I have the replacement yes