1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

iPad corporate lifespace

Discussion in 'Apple iOS (OS & Devices)' started by Doofus, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Doofus

Doofus Member

Hi Guys,

I am writing a report that includes projected costs of an iPad roll out.

Can someone give me an idea (from experience) of the lifespan of these devices?

I am interested in how many years until we buy/lease a new fleet of them for a 3-5 year budget standpoint.

Thanks.

2. awaken

awaken Member

Given how quickly tablets etc seem to be changing I'd say every 3years ?

3. BluBoy

BluBoy Member

Non iPad user here...

But I'd say less. Between theft and user misplacement, as well as the annual upgrade cycle and the lastest OS usually fully only supporting 2 maybe 3 devices, I would lean more towards 2 years.

4. awaken

awaken Member

True, I was thinking 2years max originally, but dfidnt think OP had that option

5. Dark Passenger

Dark Passenger Member

if it is any indication i had my first gen ipad from release date till about october last year so about 2 years or so. I found that before i moved it on it was getting long in the tooth and things just didnt seem to open as fast as they used to.

6. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

we found there isn't much point to leasing anything <1000 so typically its a once off purchase and replace as needed you will find 20% of your fleet becomes broken about 1 month after there is a new ipad released.

Also be sure your internal catalog has a notification advising there may be procurement delays around Christmas

7. @rt

@rt Member

Is that from staff breaking them because they want a new one?

8. TRAG!C

TRAG!C Member

I have an ipad4 my partner has my ipad2. For most of the users IMO the ipad2 is still the best device available in the iOS world and that was launched March 2011 so take that how you will.

For android I would only say the recent tabs actually provide a good experience so its hard to say how long they will last. IMO Android brings a lot more with their updates than iOS does so they age quicker...