iPad or dedicated HTPC?

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by jjo, Apr 24, 2012.

1. jjo

jjo Member

Im thinking of buying an iPad instead of building a dedicated HTPC because I think an ipad may be able to do everything a HTPC can?

All I need it for is to display 1080p video through HDMI and maybe stream some movies etc over a home network plus all the usual things you can do with an ipad. I this feasible or would I maybe be better off with a small netbook/laptop htpc?

2. Sledge

Sledge Member

tough call..
    it all depends on what YOU want. The HTPC would be more flexible and powerful (assuming you do it right), but would cost a bit more...
    But it wouldn't be portable like a tablet (note i said tablet, not ipad, as i think the cheaper android tablets are a better option)
    I think you should get a tablet, AND a HTPC..

3. Pugs

Pugs Member

Has my vote.. or a small media player that you can control via a smart phone.

4. OP
    OP
    jjo

jjo Member

Thanks for your replies guys, the portability and flexibilty of an iPad is a big drawcard, I can watch music videos/al jazeera in the kitchen and plug in for movies at night. I really love HD content so the retina screen on the ipad is a bid plus over android tablets. i like what companies have been doing with andriod tablets but I've never found them to be as slick as the ipad. Jailbreaking also adds most of the missing functionality as well.

I do understand the benefits of a dedicated HTPC espicailly when it comes to web browsing/ad hoc office work and interfaces especially with VLC loaded up.

Will an ipad be able to deliver surround sound to the receiver when playing back movies through the HDMI adapter though?

5. Sledge

Sledge Member

I doubt it.. it can't even do flash can it?
    And it costs more than twice as much...

6. Paronga

Paronga Member

what?
    what does flash (LOL!!) and surround sound have in common?

it looks like it can do dolby digital 5.1 passthrough with the AV adaptor (HDMI adaptor). this is most likely due to the components being shared with the apple TV so the iPad has those feature too.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

under the audio section

7. Sledge

Sledge Member

Nothing, just pointing out one of the many limitations of an ipad

8. Paronga

Paronga Member

okie dokie.

well seeing as this isn't an android thread, and the OP already said he's not interested in android, we'll leave it at that :thumbup:

9. Aequitas

Aequitas Member

since when has a jailbroken ipad not been able to do flash? did we all travel back in time 3 yrs?

OP get the ipad and a appletv solves both.

10. Zee

Zee Member

An iPad is going to be a very neutered HTPC alternative. It's going to need jailbreaking, for a start, as I'm pretty sure it is not going to be able to play most of the sort of content OCAU users would be wanting to play on it. Second, even the 64GB version won't be able to store too many movies if you want *proper* HD, not Apple store HD. If image quality is your thing, and you are going to be noticing resolution issues on a 10" tablet, then you'll sure as hell notice compression issues on a 40 or 50+ inch screen.

Having said that, a jailbroken Apple TV, with a jailbroken iPad (Can the current model be jailbroken yet?), with some sort of network storage would probably do the trick if portability really is your thing, though a laptop with HDMI is probably going to be a cheaper and better alternative...

Also, I suspect (unless things have changed) that neither Apple TV, nor the iPad support HD audio, if this is a concern.

Z...

11. Sledge

Sledge Member

I was talking as standard.. not jailbroken.. not everyone is comfortable with JB etc..

12. Sammus187

Sammus187 Member

AFAIK the ATV3 can't be broken yet. "They" reckon it'll be the hardest by a long shot, because of some fundamental difference in the design. I (by which I mean someone else) believe progress is being made though.

13. Aequitas

Aequitas Member

except the OP had already said they were going jb.

14. OP
    OP
    jjo

jjo Member

What I had in mind is installing apps like Oplayer and FLAC player which are able to play the raw files without 'conversion'. My 3gs can display 1080p youtube videos but im not sure how an ipad 3 will go with 1080p .mkv/mp4 proper movie files.

Never tried one of the streaming apps you can get on the app store but I've heard they work pretty well.

If I did jailbreak it would be mostly for aesthetic purposes and to download youtube vids e.t.c.

15. cyrax83

cyrax83 Member

ipad as htpc? You have got to be kidding

- no ethernet port (i prefer ethernet, you may be happy with wireless)
    - no tv tuner/can't record live tv
    - probably have issues playing 1080p high bitrate stuff or weird formats
    - sound will only be 2 channel
    - very expensive for amount of storage you get
    - has to be jailbroken
    - no remote

i'd rather spend a couple of hundred on a cheapo htpc or even a laptop that will do everything you want, and just get a 16gb ipad wifi for yourself.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  16. cwisfa

cwisfa Member

The new iPad is a nice piece of gear, but I think a HTPC and an iPad are just completely different devices.

A HTPC is more expensive, but would give you the room to store your whole library on it, record TV (with TV tuner(s) if you wish...) and play 1080p files with ease. I understand that the iPad would give you flexibility, and if all you're going to do is just stream movies, then I suppose that would work. I've never heard of anyone using a tablet as their primary means of streaming video to their TV. Streaming HD has never worked well for me and I haven't had much luck with the iOS streaming apps, but YMMV and probably will, just don't think I've done a very good job of getting them to work.

17. Fishface

Fishface Member

These days you can easily build an HTPC for less than the cost of an iPad. In fact around half the cost.

ie:

Silverstone ML03 Black Slim HTPC Case $75.00

ASRock B75M Motherboard $79.00

Intel G530 $42

8GB ram $42

Corsair CX430 $58

500GB HDD $74

Optical drive $19

Wireless KB and mouse $25

Total $372

18. OP
    OP
    jjo

jjo Member

Thats true and all but it requires a lot of room compared to an ipad. An iPad will also be more economically sound if the whole family is able to use it to surf the web, share photos and interact with it more frequently.

The big downside is the uncertainty regarding playback and severe lack of configuration options.

19. Segression

Segression Member

HTPC, Ive tried XBMC etc on my ipad, and its shit. You cannot even compare the two. the ipad "Might" get away with some of the stuff a htpc can do, but not as efficiently. I get you like the idea of a portable thing. Maybe look for one of the small Acer REVO or other devices like that (though i wouldnt recommend those either), Just build yourself a small htpc box.'

get an ipad for a remote, i think you can even set it up to push video to the ipad to use in other rooms too

20. Tinian

Tinian Member

I have a HTPC and run it from my tablet (Samsung) via XBMC. Nice. :thumbup: