iPad Pro 10.5"/12.9" discussion

Discussion in 'Apple iOS (OS & Devices)' started by MR CHILLED, Jun 21, 2017.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Anyone invested in one yet? I skipped the Air 2 as i thought the upgrade from Air 1 wasn't worth it. But upon seeing and playing with the 10.5 I was sold. It's noticeably more fluid with the new processor....it feels like a decent upgrade. I also loved the thinner bezel and the new screen. Had a look at the 12.9 at the same time and found that it was just too big to comfortably carry around.

Still waiting on delivery, possibly as much as another two weeks before the 256Gig reaches me : (

Thoughts on these new iPads?

PS; Also wanted to grab a keyboard and back cover (all in one) and was looking at one of the Logitech combos. Anyone with any other suggestions for good cases/keyboards for the 10.5?

Oh and saw this, holy shit......awesome!

http://www.madewitharkit.com/

2. Alfonzo

Alfonzo Member

I had a play with one at the local Apple shop a few days ago. The screen is beautiful, and the keyboard is significantly easier to type on the 10.5" compared to the 9.7", on both the screen and the smart keyboard cover.

I'm actually waiting on Telstra to release their plans already. I actually ordered a 9.7" unit back at the start of May but immediately was put on backorder due to lack of stock. Since then it has gone to 'end of life' status at Telstra, which means they're no longer available. I've been assured I'll get upgraded to the new unit instead.

I'm looking forward to it. I have a heap of notebooks and stuff around the place that I write in for study / projects / random shit, which I'm looking forward to digitizing and importing into One Note. Between the keyboard, Apple Pencil and the updates that IOS 11 brings I think I'll be able to do a significant amount of my home computing (sans games and photo editing) on the iPad instead of a full on computer.

3. jigna27

jigna27 Member

I bought one yesterday. 10.5 64gb LTE and pencil. Not convinced I need the keyboard, but I'll wait and see if I need it coz my primary use will be for work. Display is amazing, I feel disappointed when I go back to my 7 plus haha

4. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I went with this Baseus case and purchased last night. No keyboard but just a temporary case until some of the Logitech starts flowing through.

5. Alfonzo

Alfonzo Member

From what I've read on Whirlpool the Logitech case actually ends up being quite a thick unit. I'd have to see it in person before deciding on it.

6. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yeah I was at the apple store yesterday to check them out.....stock hasn't arrived as yet. As you say, I need it in person before purchase definitely.

7. theicemagic

theicemagic Member

Received my 12.9 about a week ago.
    It's a good device, will be interested to complete my trial by fire in Chile coming up. Happy to do a review if anybody is interested?

8. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

They are beautiful devices, so buttery smooth.

How are you finding it? Still waiting on mine to be delivered (10.5").

9. Alfonzo

Alfonzo Member

Sounds like there's a massive stock issue across the board. Currently waiting on a 256gb space grey 10.5" from Telstra, but I've read similar holding patterns with Optus too.

10. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yeah I nabbed mine from Optus and have now been waiting over two weeks. Hopefully that 2 weeks doesn't turn into 6 or something crazy like that.

11. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Fiance and I bought ourselves one of the new 12.9 Pros each. They're really, really nice!

Even with iOS 10 they're pretty useful. I can't help but think iOS 11 will be when the thing becomes truly viable as a laptop replacement.

She's sticking with the Apple keyboard case wheres I returned mine and instead bought a Magic Keyboard, smart cover and ordered a Studio Neat Canopy case for the keyboard. I couldn't stand the crappy keys on the smart keyboard thing.

I enjoy using the pencil in notability but it's such a shit device to hold and to store. It's stupidly long and attracts all the natural grease off my hands and becomes slippery. It needs some texture. And somewhere to store!

12. akqrate

akqrate Member

I have the iOS 11 developer beta installed on my iPad Pro 12.9 - although the files app isn't working yet with third party cloud storage providers i.e. Google Drive... the app itself is a bit of a game changer for iOS - that is if documents can be moved across apps and attached/ edited etc.

Now, if only Apple allowed for third party apps to be set as default, we might just have a viable laptop replacement on our hands.

13. theicemagic

theicemagic Member

I like it... the writing is a huge plus for it. The screen is gorgeous, and so far the raw workability has been great, but the workflow options has been sub par (though I somewhat expected that).

I've installed iOS 11 beta, and so far I haven't noticed a great deal of improvement in the overall experience, but have appreciated the writing engine improvements, though there's still significant room for improvement too.

I installed it to try out the Files app, and workability of it... So far, it's ordinary, it's necessary for them to include something like that, but it's not amazing.

I also wasn't getting a straight forward answer from anybody about copying TO an external HDD through the Files app, and can confirm that right now it doesn't support it.
    For me this is a huge blow, and means the iPad will only be good for limited extended away use, which really sucks. I wanted it to replace a laptop for my photography assignments, but now I need to have an additional backup solution (ie, keeping my memory cards full which isn't always a solution, or taking an additional laptop, in which case, why not just have a laptop instead of it).
    I was also hoping it would be the start of having Phase One look at the system as a potential workflow solution for people away from home.

14. mr camouflage

mr camouflage Member

STM Dux cases have built in pencil storage
    https://www.stmgoods.com.au/collections/dux-collection?size=106

15. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

16. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yeah, aka bulky :Paranoid: Too bulky for me by the looks of it.

17. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

For me also - I can't really stand any of those cases on my iPads. They become laptop size then and if they're that big then what's the point?

18. hlokk

hlokk Member

You can get silicone covers for them. If you want a thin leather wrap i can make one if you shoot me a PM.

The pencils stick to the top (side?) of the screen, but only really useful when the iPad is on a desk or something. Not sturdy enough for carrying around. I'm half tempted to glue something too the iPad (thin little satin loops or something) but I think I'll just make a custom case/bag.

Struggling to find drawing apps that work as well as the notes app with angle and pressure. Would be reallllllllly nice if they could just allow you to draw over photos. Why the hell cant you?! Can do it if you attach to an email or use another program but not native anywhere for your own device I can tell? Many a time where I've needed to mark something up or draw on a map and I've had to create something in another program instead (using Procreate for the most part)

19. huggies

huggies Member

Do you have a photo of this actual setup, sounds great

20. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Exactly. I can't even stand putting a beautiful tablet in even a small case, but needs to be that way for protection.