iPad Pro 10.5"/12.9" discussion

Discussion in 'Apple iOS (OS & Devices)' started by MR CHILLED, Jun 21, 2017.

1. hlokk

hlokk Member

That moleskine one didn't seem to have great reviews on the Apple site (problems with the plastic corners breaking off and the pen loop being too loose)

I wonder if you could get just the snap lock parts as then I could make my own custom leather case :D

2. jigna27

jigna27 Member

Heaps of back covers on the ebay / ali express if you want to DIY. My first case was actually a cheap faux leather front cover with plastic back and I glued 2 pen loop holders to hold the pencil (https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/tailored-pen-loop-stickers-tai172974)

It wasn't exactly pretty but worked well.

3. jigna27

jigna27 Member

Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative to the ipad smart cover? i.e. just the cover that connects to the spine via magnets. All the ones on ebay have a back cover

4. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

They definitely do the half covers? Not sure I've seen any ....

5. birdie

birdie Member

I just got the 12.9" 512GB iPad Pro in Space Grey the other day thanks to the $80/month deal with 100GB of data... never will need that much data, but worked out cheap for the iPad Pro and will probably switch to Optus for my Mobile phone when my current contract runs out in Sept/Oct and just get the lowest data plan for the phone and data pool :)

I plan on getting the Apple Pencil next time there is a 20% off sale on eBay which includes one of the sellers with the Apple Pencil, I'd also like to get a case, I don't think I will bother with the keyboard at this stage. Any other accessories you would recommend?

Also, any particular apps that work even better on an iPad Pro? I have been away from iOS for about 18months after switching to a Galaxy S7 Edge from an iPhone 6S+ but now since getting the iPad Pro I have swapped back to our spare iPhone 6 from the S7Edge as I was getting a bit annoyed with some of the Android ways and also the lack of battery life in comparison to what I get from iPhone...

6. jigna27

jigna27 Member

Aside from Pencil, the Smart Keyboard is probably the only other accessory I'd recommend. Maybe Slickwraps wrap for the pencil to mask the whiteness of the pencil - I've got black one on mine. Oh and screen protector if you're that way inclined. Personally I prefer film protectors on tablets than glass because glass just makes it feel thicker (personal preference).

Re cases - If you're after one that can hold the pencil at the same time, your choices are somewhat limited. I had the UAG Metropolis (rugged looking case) and now the Poetic iPad Pro back cover. The UAG has a front cover that can detach and allows you to connect a smart keyboard for when you decide to get one. The Poetic case is just a TPU back cover with a slot for the pencil, I went to this because the UAG was a bit too chunky (think OtterBox style).

Look back through this thread, people have posted their case options (incl myself)

7. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Having used the Baseus case now for a while, it's good, but it has some small cracks on the corners, not easy to see but the cracking is now extending through the back of the cover. I doubt it will completely fall apart but it's still annoying. Great case but not sure if the material is strong enough to fit the Pro so tightly as it does.

8. connico

connico Member

I use the STM DUX+ Rugged Folio Case for my 10.5 Pro. Its solid and has a pen holder. Hasn't let me down yet. No keyboard though

9. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Member

Have to admit I haven't been using mine anywhere near as much as I should given the price. Nice in theory, but lack of good nebo-style universal pen input is somewhat annoying and I'm struggling with use cases. Maybe I just need to take more notes?

10. connico

connico Member

I take all meeting notes with it now. I don't travel with a laptop or a notepad not as the pro takes care of email on the road and all meeting notes without an issue.

I've taken up sketching whilst in transit instead of watching youtube and netflix as well :p

11. jigna27

jigna27 Member

Up until this week I used to exclusively use the Pencil to take notes on the Pro using OneNote. This week I've started launching OneNote on the laptop and it's been pretty great because it has extra functionality. At home it's my media player when I'm working out in the garage and exercise log.

Sketching on the train sounds pretty cool.

12. birdie

birdie Member

Are there any deals currently on the Apple Pencil? the best I can find at the moment is $137.75 from OfficeWorks on eBay with the PICK5 5% off voucher.

The last couple of 20% off ebay sales have had a couple of stores with the Apple Pencil but have had them listed for $199 :O

13. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yeah you will be lukcy to find a store that probably doesn't hike up the prices before the discount sale or already isn't a high priced store anyways. Just have to keep looking and probably aim for a generic X% off ebay sale for a low priced store.

14. birdie

birdie Member

Picked up a brand new Apple Pencil from Myer on eBay when there was a site-wide 10% off, so that bought it back to $130.50 posted, which is the cheapest I've seen recently and I couldn't be bothered waiting for a possibility of a 20% off that may not happen again.

I also picked up a 2nd hand Apple Smart Keyboard for $140 and then got the 5% off so back to $133 posted.

Last night I ordered a KHOMO Companion Cover to protect the rear of the iPad Pro 12.9 and also give me a holder for the Apple Pencil.

Today I took advantage of the $199 Apple AirPod deal at The Good Guys and got OfficeWorks to PriceMatch back to $189.05 (before they dropped their price to match TGG).

So I am no pretty well kitted out with Apple gear again haha

15. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

16. birdie

birdie Member

Anyone know of any cheaper options than the Apple 29W USB C charger and USB C to lightning cable for faster charging?

17. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Probably just going to have to hunt around for a knock off version that users recommend as effective at fast charging.

18. Zee

Zee Member

I hope the Apple Pencil 2 has an "off" switch. I don't use it often, but when I do, I really freaking need it to work. The fact that it is often 2 -3 weeks between uses means it's always freaking flat when I need it, and it ends up having to be stuck into my iPad for the first 5-10 mins of a meeting before I can make use of it.

Sometimes, designers need to be thrown into the real world with their products for a month or 6...

Z...

19. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Well it's basically fallen apart almost completely now....cracks extended right across the back and around the buttons. Decided to purchase another one and see how I go with that one. If that dies in the same way then that will be the last Baseus thing I ever buy.

20. Zee

Zee Member

Mine has broken off at the corner where the volume switches are. I think it's more a flaw with the ipad not really being designed for a case, as it really is a weak spot.

Z...