iPad Pro 10.5"/12.9" (Gen 2) discussion

Discussion in 'Apple iOS (OS & Devices)' started by MR CHILLED, Jul 31, 2018.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

As expected, a shift away from the 3.5mm headphone jack, seriously?..../sigh

Expected to take on the X look also.

Some big changes predicted for new iPad Pro but one rumour is outrageous

https://www.news.com.au/technology/...s/news-story/0eba87fb93b29957eed410701f8c2361

2. Zee

Zee Member

Not a fan of the face ID thing. Seriously prefer the fingerprint reader. On another note, I'm also seriously over the anti-3.5mm jack that seems to be the in thing right now. Guess I'll stick with my 10.5.

Z...

3. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

New info.....

https://www.news.com.au/technology/...k/news-story/29f518ef7745924673dc44d5f3dbc225

4. Zee

Zee Member

$3k for an iPad Pro.. Fuck me gently...

Z...

5. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yep in line with other iphone rises. Can't see myself getting one unless bundled in some deal or something, and even then.....probably not.

6. clonex

clonex Member

how do they justify the near $1k increase?

i saw a news.com.au article and they called the usb-c a controversial connector change lol...

$3k buys a lot of laptop even with a tablet like folding screen.

7. Zee

Zee Member

That site is hopeless, USB-C is about the smartest connector decision they have made, and should have been part of the new iPhone range.

New Mac Air has me more interested than this, and I really do love my iPad pro. At about $1k for a base 10.5 64GB wifi model (outgoing model), it was already pushing it, but the pencil is very awesome for some of my work stuff (wiring diagrams, marking up PDF plans on site etc), but I really can't see myself buying one of these brand new.

Z...

8. Alfonzo

Alfonzo Member

I'm intrigued. Don't really care about the deletion of the touch ID, in fact I can see that as a good thing because when I hold my current 10.5 Pro in landscape mode I occasionally press it accidentally and close the app I'm using.
    What I am interested in though is just how much border is left to hold on to the device with. I know it is smart enough to disregard additional input around the sides but it's nicer to not impact the screen entirely.

I still have a bit to go on my contract for the current 10.5 but I might be tempted by the new one come June next year. We'll see. The current one does everything I want perfectly well for now.

9. clonex

clonex Member

wouldnt be suprised if the tech-guru that wrote the article was trevor long... Lol

Zee likes this.
  10. tobes

tobes Member

Agreed would be great to see that on iPhone as well and move away from lightening. Although USB-C definitely more prone to physical failure with the thin centre bit.

11. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Can/do they ever justify any of their exorbitant increases year to year?

12. Shado

Shado Member

$600 of that is for the new 1 TB model that almost no one will buy / needs. A chunk of it is due to the AUD / USD change over the last year, and probably some anticipation of further falls. And the rest is Apple's 'we're selling less, so bump up the price to maintain profits'. A strategy which worked exceptionally well for them with the iPhone X last year, so no surprise to see that happening again. They basically have no real competitors in the tablet as a tablet market.

Not sure how the MacBook justifies its existence anymore, costing more and being worse in every way save for a couple of hundred grams. Even the Air seems like a slightly worse base model MacBook Pro but with TouchID for about the same price.

I'm buying but only because my iPad mini 2 is now 5 years old, I don't think it would be worth the upgrade from last year (or the year before) unless you were also jumping up a size. Also plan to use it as a second monitor for my MacBook, will be interesting to see how the curved corners go with that...

13. giles666

giles666 Member

These look like and awesome upgrade. Instant pre-order.

14. giles666

giles666 Member

The aussie dollar has fallen quite a bit since the last refersh so some of the difference will be exchange rate changes.

15. miicah

miicah Member

Not sure what the justification behind removing the headphone jack is here. Again, really nice device but the $200 jump is pretty hard to swallow.

16. miicah

miicah Member

But the US price is $200 more as well. So it has nothing to do with the AUD

17. giles666

giles666 Member

I get that the price has gone up in USD as well. It’s just up more in Aussie dollar terms.

I think that’s totally justified though. These need to be compared to premium i7 class laptops. That’s the sort of performance and specs you’re getting.

18. aokman

aokman Member

Agreed, I have preordered the 512GB 12.9”

We are starting to see movement in Apple which is giving credence to the ARM rumours, this is the first time I ever recall Apple comparing an iPad to a PC performance in advertising.

Adobe Photoshop CC just pushes it even further

Next iPhone will be USB-C...the writing is on the wall now, this gives everyone a year to get ready.

19. tobes

tobes Member

They want everyone to buy beats/Airpods. Which is a possible argument except when I want to shove a tablet in front of my kids on a long drive. Its already a crap shoot making sure the devices are charged and the headphones packed. I don't want to deal with more things that need charging and cost $200+

If the argument for USB-C on the pro is easily plug into monitors etc. maybe they'll try and argue that you shouldn't do that with an iPhone although given the compute in them now that argument has got to be fading fast.

20. Zee

Zee Member

Not totally. you still need to deal with iTunes in certain situations. I know there is always the "but da cloud fo musicand videoz yo lololololol" crowd, but it simply isn't always an option for some of us, and drag and drop file transfer is still not yet a proper thing. I can see how it's getting there, and hopefully it will, but I can still drag and drop a bunch of random music and video files onto my android tablet (or just plug in a micro SD) and it just finds the files and works.

I do prefer the iOS ecosystem, for various reasons, but man, it's seriously starting to become beyond affordable.

Of course, to be fair, I expect my current iPad pro to be working nicely for a few years yet, and I'm still happily rocking an iPhone 6S, so I guess if we look at long term value, it's not so bad. I'm still using a 2014 Mac Air happily, and will only upgrade to the new one once this one dies. Though this one is still semi-repairable, so I'll likely try to keep it running even if I do update eventually.

Back to iPad - I suspect the Aussie dollar being on a bit of a free fall isn't helping.

Z...