iPad Pro 11"/12.9" (Gen 3) discussion

Discussion in 'Apple iOS (OS & Devices)' started by MR CHILLED, Jul 31, 2018.

1. power

power Member

browsing network shares is one thing i miss when on iOS. external usb? what year is it!?

2. Zee

Zee Member

You may laugh at "niche" use case scenarios - until it turns out you're in one. A couple of years back I was in Beijing, and was asked by a friend to help out with something (basically a reference for travel to Europe). I need to get said document onto my iPad so I could sign it, it ended up turning into an epic mission - basically, cloud services of choice were banned by the Govt. authority, internet speed was epically slow anyway, and just simply getting a file from PC - iPad - PC again so it could be printed...

I ended up having to get myself a VPN to make it work in the end. My Android tablet would have simply been plug and play. Sure, it's easier now, but that was Persian Immortal's point to begin with - iOS is maturing, and perhaps another 2 generations and it'll probably be at the point where it is a proper viable replacement for a desktop/laptop for all but the most specific cases.

On a side note, as someone that is pretty much overseas 5 months a year, and constantly working on job sites the simply have no net access (heck, the number of houses in wealthy Sydney suburbs where I have to walk out the door and up the street to get reception is maddening), I find I am *always* in that niche use case scenario. Cloud services are wonderful for back ups, but I can't rely on them day to day, I need everything stored and accessible locally. It only takes one client site meeting where you can't download the PDF wiring diagram you spent 7 hours getting right to get that message clear in your head.

Z...

PersianImmortal likes this.
  3. frnak

frnak Member

Indeed. It's deliberate driven by this cloud-evangelism and it's frustrating. I've frequently found myself in a situation where I needed to use a USB flash drive to transfer a file to a destination device (printer, client, offline device, slow internet etc). As long as the iPad doesn't have this capability it can't be taken seriously as a professional device. It's laughable that they call it a 'Pro'.

And yeah the files app is a joke. Waste of time and useless for my purposes.

Zee likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

No. It's whatever apple want it to be and whatever closed ecosystem they want their hardware in. That's their choice and it most definitely is a choice. I personally don't necessarily agree with how closed it is but there are many alternatives if you don't like the apple ecosystem.

5. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

You really can't see past this artificial compartmentalisation thing, can you? I'm not telling Apple what to do, I'm simply pointing out that the iPad Pro as a computing device is capable of being so much more. Or are you the type of person who back in the 1980s insisted that a pocket calculator must remain a calculator, a wristwatch must remain a wristwatch, a compass must be a separate device, gaming consoles must remain separate, and a telephone should remain a telephone - and it would be blasphemy to incorporate all of these functions into something like a smartphone?

Also, and I've said this repeatedly, I don't have a problem with Apple's walled garden as such, it has significant benefits in terms of pulling in developers. But a company as big as Apple can surely think of ways in which they can make iOS more flexible, while retaining the key aspects of the walled garden. For example, Apple has been steadily moving to remove DRM requirements for music on its devices, because it was causing a range of issues.

6. frnak

frnak Member

Agree x1000
    The SOC in those things is enormously powerful and blows virtually all android devices out of the water. Apple are seriously under-utilising their hardware with overly restrictive design decisions.

Apple: Give it some flexibility! The thing is a beast!

PersianImmortal likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

:lol: Look, I really don't know exactly what your beef is with apple and the Pro. It's hard to take you seriously when you are suggesting apple are wrong in what they are doing and not realising the full potential of the device simply because they don't allow external accessories or are as flexible as you want them to be. And especially when you suggest this is some sort of oversight. Would you like to rock up to apple HQ and tell them they are doing it wrong and they could realise so much greater potential just be doing a few quick tweaks!? Everything they do is completely intentional. Everything. This is the way they want it at this point in time. There is no right or wrong, it's just opinion. And I can tell you right now there are millions, maybe tens of millions of people extremely happy with the way apple ipad products are and they work within the confines of the ipad just fine.

Whilst millions are extremely happy with the product I don't think the system will get as flexible as you want it to be. Time will tell.

So at the end of the day you want it to be something it's not. It is what it is. There will be other products that are better suited for you.

8. giles666

giles666 Member

\\

I've literally never had a file that I need that the files app didn't recoginise and I've used the iPad daily for work for years now. What are these use cases your finding that it doens't work for.

It's a technical issue. iOS wasn't designed to have storage that could be removed, they need to do a signficant re-write to make it work. I'm sure we will see it once it's ready. Hopefully in iOS 13.

9. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

If they wanted that functionality it would have been done ages ago. I think they are happy with the way it is. Files can be extracted, just not in what you might call a "traditional" sense.

10. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

I don’t have a beef with Apple and this isn’t just about what I want. It’s about being more efficient with a single computing device in the future instead of having two or three separate devices to do the same thing.

11. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I will state for the record that I would love some additional flexibility in terms of adding accessories such as external hard drives etc. It would be great, but at the same time I accept the way things are with this device and work within that. If I get so pissed off I'll look elsewhere.

12. Goose1981

Goose1981 Member

So i just got back from a conference in Sydney where i used the new ipad pro (12.9") and pencil to take notes and markup pdfs. It went amazingly well.

Used 'Nebo' for writing notes (double tap after writing and it converts it to typed text), and Documents (well, PDF Expert is baked in i think?) for markup and retrieval / storage from the cloud. Pretty impressed with the test run. Waiting some rugged-ish cases to come out so i can setup a workflow for shifting all my field inspection stuff over to it when i get back to a mine site again.

giles666 likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

So let's just see what changes in iOS13 ;)

I'm predicting not much.

14. giles666

giles666 Member

We know a lot of updates for iPad were pulled from iOS12. I expect to see those updates arrive with iOS13 plus some other stuff to suit the new hardware. I strongly expect iOS13 to be another large update for iPad.

Apple's annual cycle is such that you don't really get the full new product for end of year hardware releases until you get the software updates at WWDC the year after.

15. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

With this I assume you're talking about external drive connectivity.

16. giles666

giles666 Member

That. Also file management improvements. Updates to the homsecreen and multi tasking. Xcode on iPad etc.

17. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Think I may be having some touch issues with the tempered glass protector I got for me....sometimes seems not to register my finger moving. Probably just a not-so-great screen protector.

Anyone else have this issue with their tempered protectors on the 12.9"?

18. Goose1981

Goose1981 Member

Can someone quote me for MR CHILLED (not as an actual quote post, just copy and paste what i write) as he has me on ignore..

I put a paper.me (link) protector on mine and it's bloody amazing. Feels much nicer to use the apple pencil on and finger registration is perfect.

19. frnak

frnak Member

I've browsed a lot of network shares with VLC for streaming media. But yeah a proper file browser is needed. Its laughable that Apple call this a 'pro' product with such poor software features.

20. power

power Member

i was reading something online the other morning (in bed) and there was a download that i wanted to bag right there and then. downloaded to phone then copy pasta'ed to a network share when it was done. this is something any "pro" product should be able to do. tech should enable not block you.

frnak likes this.