iPad Pro 11"/12.9" (Gen 3) discussion

Discussion in 'Apple iOS (OS & Devices)' started by MR CHILLED, Jul 31, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Too expensive? That's never been said about an apple product ever :p

frnak and clonex like this.
  2. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Wasted potential :)

I honestly didn't think this was a contentious claim: most people don't need a full-powered PC these days, they just need what amounts to a slightly more powerful and more versatile phone. That includes many professionals who work in offices doing low-level stuff (wordprocessing, spreadsheets, basic multimedia viewing and editing, and communication apps). But we have these clunky, resource-intensive, wasteful, whirring machines on/under our desktops "just in case". So remove the serious PC gamers, the high-level programmers, the complex content creators and the heavy-duty number-crunchers, and your probably left with at least 90% of the consumer and corporate desktop market - literally over a billion users - wasting resources which could otherwise be deployed more efficiently.

I'm simply contending that something like an iPad Pro can leverage Apple's successful iOS platform, rich in developer interest (i.e., an app for pretty much everything) to create a truly ubiquitous computing device: tablet, laptop and desktop. From what I understand regarding the latest iPad Pro's power, it has the raw performance and hardware refinement to allow this. What's holding it back is the OS, which has been slower in evolving towards a more flexible platform.

I'm not saying iOS needs to move away from being a walled garden; that's part of the reason why it draws so much developer interest. It just needs to open up in a few areas to allow greater flexibility. I'm also not saying that it's easy, because obviously the more Apple opens up iOS, the more it endangers its platform as users find ways to circumvent its walled garden.

But basically, I believe such a device is the endpoint of where we're heading. Microsoft is heading in that direction from one way, by continually dumbing down and restricting the PC platform, trying to forcibly implement a walled garden and app-centric model with Windows 10; while Apple appears to be working towards it from the other direction, by increasing the power and flexibility of iOS.

3. power

power Member

never heard of future proofing I take it?

4. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

The regular iPad is already plenty future-proof. I'm still using a 2013 iPad Air and it does just fine.

The iPad Pro is "future proof+". So why not take advantage of that plus now, instead of saving it for a rainy day?

5. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I think there is definite conflict in what you are saying there. Apple chose to have a restrictive environment. Allowing greater flexibility goes against that restrictive ecosystem.

6. power

power Member

I can't agree with this statement, and wholeheartedly welcome considerable upgrades to computing devices.

There's nothing worse than device makers selling warmed over rehashes of last years product with minimal anything.

You're welcome to hang onto your five year old devices. No one is stopping you.

Also your usage case =/= all usage cases.

7. PMack_525

PMack_525 Member

I have to agree here. I have a 2013 iPad and it's shit. I've factory reset/wiped a bunch of times with little to no improvement. It's just slow at everything now. Whilst it's fine for reading a book/magazine i guess; general use and multitasking takes so much longer.

8. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Begs the question, how long is reasonable for old devices to remain "fast".

9. PMack_525

PMack_525 Member

Yeah, I am fine with my 5 year old iPad being slow but still usable. It's actually what I expect. None of my android tablets from that age bracket work at all.

BUT its not feasible as a daily driver either.

Currently debating the 2018 iPad vs iPad Pro 2nd Gen as an upgrade for now until I go for the 12.9" later down the track.

10. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Not sure why this is becoming so confusing.

That’s not what I said. In fact it’s almost the opposite. I’m saying we could get a lot more out of an iPad Pro right now than just using it as a “faster iPad”. If anything, by consolidating and making device use more efficient, we could justify upgrading more often, because we’d be paying top dollar to use the power of a device straight away rather than buying a powerful device to only partially use its potential now, and partly to prolong its use.

And again, I would challenge any “average” PC user to tell me just why they need a full-size PC when they barely tap its full potential in 99% of what they do. Only a select group of people need proper PC gear these days. All it will take is a few changes to iOS and I believe something like an iPad Pro could become a viable, quiet, portable, efficient, PC-like device for many.

P.S. As for the iPad Air being relatively slow, of course that’s the case given its 5 years old. It’s nowhere near as fast as my iPhone X for example. But I’m happy to post screen recorder video showing me using it for a range of tasks without any real slowdowns. I’m not sure what people do on their iPads that requires that much grunt anyway?

11. power

power Member

so the device isn't meeting it's potential so shouldn't exist? I'm confused.

12. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

For most they don't, just latest and greatest.

13. miicah

miicah Member

What? No.

The person answering the phone in the front office and updating an Outlook calendar doesn't need an i5 with 16gb RAM, nor an iPad pro.

14. Zee

Zee Member

For me, partly gaming, though, more importantly, for work. Most of that is due to the people making the software for automation systems generally making it Win 10 only.

Savant are doing OSX, and have just started using iOS for "basic" systems programming, though I can only imagine that the iPad pro would be just as capable for complex system programming as my Mac. Their reasoning was processing power, and by the looks of it, the new iPad Pro would kill my 2014 Mac Air in that department. I wouldn't be surprised if my 10.5" iPad Pro does, also. I'd certainly love to be able to turn up to sites with an iPad only... I already use it for RTA (Real Time Analyser) purposes with a good USB reference mic.

Z...

15. giles666

giles666 Member

Your issue is you are stuck with old workflows.

New platform needs new ways of doing things.

Adopt an iPad workflow for tasks and you'll find lots of things are more efficient on an iPad. It doesn't need a mouse and it REALLY doesn't need unnecessary complications like free-floating windows.

16. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

It should exist, but as more than just a "faster iPad". The current regular iPads are already quite capable. It's like Ford releasing the regular Mustang, then releasing a GT40 with a Mustang's body and handling limitations. Makes no sense.

The iPad Pro has the potential to be a killer device. Tablet sales are declining. A tablet, for the most part, is perhaps quite rightly seen as a toy or a luxury. This is an opportunity for Apple to (a) justify the higher price of its devices by evolving iOS, and (b) genuinely attacking Microsoft's dominance in the desktop world with a very refined "it just works" device.

A tablet has many advantages over a traditional PC, not the least of which is that it can be used free of any wires or a nearby source of power; it is completely silent, generally runs cool, takes up minimal desk space - but with the right connectivity and some changes to iOS, can easily replicate everything a desktop PC can.

Nope, that's not it. Flexibility to use various devices is not antiquated. Similarly, moving multi-tasked windows around and being able to resize them has many benefits, not the least of which is that on a 13" screen you can maximize viewable area for your main task, while showing the relevant portions of other windows.

Furthermore, while iOS is generally good, there are a range of instances where it is just outright ridiculous and backward for 2018, even for a mobile OS. File management is the most glaring problem.

Here's a good example from my recent experience with iOS: I made some ringtone mp3s, uploaded them to my Dropbox, then opened Dropbox on my phone and imported them into Garageband, which I had to use to force iOS to recognise them as a valid ringtones and store them in the right area on my iPhone. So far, so tedious, but not terrible.

Now here's the fun part: not knowing any better, I saved several iterations of various tones as test files. Big mistake. There's now no way to get rid of them. Here's what my ringtone selection screen looks like:

IMG_0097.jpg

It's a mess. The My Song and My Song1 tones are aborted Garageband samples I inadvertently saved simply by exiting them the wrong way, there are three versions of the Aliens motion tracker tone (one a bought version, two others I made), and other tones ranging from built-in to my custom ones to purchased ones.

I want to remove some of these, and rename others. But quite simply, there is literally no way I know of in iOS at the moment to fix this. Such a simple thing for a computing device, but there it is. The official advice from Apple help articles (as well as plenty of third party guides and tutorials) is to connect the idevice to iTunes and delete it from there. So I installed the latest version of iTunes on my PC, and it only shows the purchased tones, even when you tick the relevant 'manually manage..' option. I can't see my custom tones, I can't edit/rename/delete them. They don't show up in the Files app. They can't be found in Garageband. I've rebooted, reinstall and generally tried a dozen different tricks.

That, quite frankly, is laughable for any operating system. It's obvious why Apple has done this: to discourage or downright prevent people from readily importing ringtones, music, movies and other media they would otherwise be purchasing from iTunes. But it's a silly limitation that needs to be handled better. And certainly not one you want on a $1,000+ device, especially if it has "Professional" abbreviated in its name.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  17. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Right. I think people need to remember this is a tablet, it's a touch screen device. It's not a traditional pc with your windows and all your free floating bunch of accessories such as mice, keyboards, external drives etc.

18. giles666

giles666 Member

That isn’t ‘file management’, that some insane niche usecase you’ve cooked up that no one really needs or wants to do.

File management works perfectly well, there is a files app, it syncs with all your cloud services and it’s easy to manage stuff there.

For Photos there is the Photos app, which is fast and genuinely brilliant and its easy organise and sort your photos and videos and to sync out and back for editing using extensions. It also auto backs up everything for you.

The whole ‘file management is a mess’ on iPad is a just wrong now. It’s a lie that’s been perpetuated by people that don’t use the iPad.

No external USB storage is an oversight, but it’s hardly a big deal, when you have 4g connectivity and access to cloud services all the time and the largest file (Photos and Video importing) is supported.

19. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

It's really not something you just forget about. It's intentional for whatever reason.

20. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

No, it's a computing device, and an increasingly more powerful and expensive one at that, which also has a touch screen. There is no logical reason why it can't also be a computing device that can be connected to an external screen, along with various peripherals, and act in other capacities. Especially given its target market (tablets) is dying.

Rubbish. There is a Files app, but it selectively displays certain files on your system, depending on how you've uploaded them, where they are stored, and most importantly: whether Apple wishes for you to be able to manipulate them, largely for commercial reasons.