iPhone 4 vs Android

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by draco3, Aug 2, 2010.

1. money_killer

money_killer Member

hmmmm thanks guys i guess i will try and hold out until it comes here. but who knows i could just get bored when im out and say stuff it i will get one

thanks

2. DrClaw

DrClaw Member

I'm an iPhone 3GS user, and looking at the current crop of android phones i'm very tempted to swap over.

I'm sick of the iTunes integration... it's so frustrating given I use multiple PCs in a day that I can only copy music across from one of them... so I have to wait until I get to my main PC instead of just copying it across with my work lappy or netbook etc :(

That and it's too restrictive. I have an external bluetooth gps that I use when bushwalking etc as the iPhone gps is quite simply deaf as a post, but there's no way to log any tracks using my iPhone and the external bluetooth. I end up using my old nokia E51 just for logging tracks hehehe :) And then there's the usual niggles of not having proper profiles, having to go into 4 menu options to turn tethering on and off / wifi on and off... it's a bit tedious at times.

Everything else is pretty much the same across both of them, xept there's no tomtom app on android yet. I use that a fair bit, so I might wait until that moves across until I follow suit

3. Bassist

Bassist Member

Just get an N1 :D

4. Sarsippius

Sarsippius Member

This might say more about HTC Sense UI than Android but my wife who's originally from Vietnam has gone back just recently. Her mother who doesn't speak any English has worked out how to use her Desire after one day just watching my wife and playing with it herself (general things like call, photos, messages etc).
    Definitely a tick for general usability :thumbup:

5. James086

James086 Member

One thing going for Android is that it doesn't stalk you (yet?)
    Yikes! :wired:

6. clonex

clonex Member

i guess it could be useful if your phones stolen?

7. James086

James086 Member

Another service provided by Apple already lets you find your phone. The longest window for someone to steal my phone before I noticed would be when I'm sleeping. I don't need my phone to tell me it's been stolen. This seems to be about jailbreaking.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  8. clonex

clonex Member

We are to attempt that with the guys on the weekend and do a stake out and see if it starts moving, then i guess just ring the cops? :D

9. Sharkx

Sharkx Member

Sorry to disappoint and maybe other Android phones do it, but I can not get my globalsat bluetooth GPS to connect to my Galaxy S. Tried a few different apps and nothing, it's paired but wont connect. Maybe other GPS's will work but mine wont.

10. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

11. shift6

shift6 Member

Terribly biased comic :p.

I'm not sided to Android or iPhone, but its ridiculous how they explore the warranty-breaking 'rooting' process on Android, but not the also-warranty-breaking 'jailbreaking' process on iOS.

At least give the iPhone user an opportunity to search on the market for an application akin to what the Android user did when searching on the market.

Diehard iOS/Android fans are painful.

12. kingroast

kingroast Member

Well let's see I have gone from iPhone 3GS to HTC Desire to Droid X and now IPhone 4.
    Let me tell you there is nothing like iPhone 4 from looks to functionality.
    Also let me make this clear iPhone with jailbreak craps all over any android.
    What mAkes the iPhone 4 the king of the hill is the support from the 3rd party.

LoL while I had the desire and the Droid x I could not find a half a decent cover or a screen protector that had anti glare rofl, shows the support 3party doesn't give a dam about a android phone that will only sell 1-4m and be retired in 6months time. Hence it brings me to this important point... iPhone will always be the king of hill cos of it's ecosystem and the support from 3party software/hardware...

Oh last thing the keyboard sucks balls on android from sensitivity to looks .... While on Droid x I tried many... On HTC desire even tried the pathetic swype all lame.....

End of rent (typed from iPhone)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  13. nEBUz

nEBUz Member

<3 Point well made.

14. Wootwagon

Wootwagon Member

Lol one sentence ownage

15. bugayev

bugayev Whammy!

Over the course of this week I've been using a Galaxy S, a Blackberry Bold and I own an iPhone 4. We've got a product that works on these devices and I have been demoing them to customers and decided I'd use each one for 2 days to see how easy it was to pick up compared with the iPhone.

Blackberry of course came last - incredibly difficult to start using, no logical UI theme, the keyboard buttons are just too bloody small and the web browser's use of a pointer with the scroll pad was utterly ridiculous.

Second place was the Android device. Whilst I can definitely see the value, the UI was not quite as polished as the Apple device and scrolling was hard work - I'm not sure if this was the screen or the software itself.

The inclusion of Optus branded apps like the App Store for Zoo made it really difficult as a novice to figure out how to access and download applications, and I found myself getting lost due to the hardware buttons kicking in at some times but not others.

On the Galaxy specifically, it's iPhone like size and design made me hold it like an iPhone, which subsequently made it extremely difficult to get at the back button in the bottom right hand side.

Overall, I could own an Android device, but I would never be totally satisfied that it's benefits outweighed an iPhone.

16. money_killer

money_killer Member

im personal just not an apple fan i have no real reason just do not like apple products :p

im just awaiting telstra v 2.2 for android :Paranoid:

17. spazmodik

spazmodik Member

I've recently gone to the dark side (in two ways) and got an iphone4 (on telstra).

I find the whole experience really simple for the "just works" aspect, and particularly like the apps and Internet experience. The touch sensitivity can't be beaten by anything I have tried.

What does irk me however is the fact that I have to use software to convert an mp3 to a ringbone and can't just add any mp3 in my collection like I have been able to with every phone I have owned in the last five years. Message tones are impossible to replace without a jailbreak and even then the process ain't simple.

Overall I love It......and I'm certainly not an apple fan.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  18. theDarkHorse

theDarkHorse Member

I could not live with iTunes. Until Apple allows third-party programs to perform iPhone management (app syncing and whatnot), I can't bring myself to own an iPhone, no matter how good the experience is.

19. koolkidd

koolkidd Member

personally im not an apple fan, incredibly overpriced and in short supply

ive used the iphone 3g, 3gs, 4 and the ipad and after owning and selling these, its the same thing, it feels too novelty to me

dont get me wrong i can see the value in them, but for me i prefer the type of phones that bring something genuinely new to the table, e.g the projector in the upcoming lg phone (im pretty sure its the lg) or the wifi router in the htc hd2, just things that will be in most phones in the near future, but are new now

20. HairyMerkin

HairyMerkin Member

It is a fully fledged router, like something ddwrt provides, or it is just a wireless hotspot like all android phones can do.