iPhone 6 repair

Discussion in 'Apple iOS (OS & Devices)' started by Asteroid, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Asteroid

Asteroid Member

So a few weeks ago I dropped my phone inside a huge machine and into a puddle of maching oil! :Paranoid:

It didn't break but oil got in through the switch and damaged the lcd from the inside. Today I got around to opening the thing up to see just how destroyed the phone was. It doesn't look too bad: there is oily residue around the top of the battery, around the switch and of course the lcd is a blotchy mess.

To fix it I can get an ebay screen quite cheap, even if the quality is only average it'll be good enough for a work phone. What I'm unsure about is the battery. I figure it needs to come out to sort of clean up the phone and the oil might not be great for the plastic wrapping long term. But where does one by a battery that isn't junk without getting ripped off? Are there any trusted ebay sellers?

The switch is obviously a little oily but it still works.

Thoughts?

2. power

power Member

Clean it good with electronics cleaner spray that you can get at Jaycar and go from there.

3. OP
    OP
    Asteroid

Asteroid Member

Are you suggesting screen out, battery out, then just a good spray with something like CO contact cleaner around the switch area? It's probably the same stuff as what Jaycar have.

I suppose I'm being slightly ocd about the battery but if it's coming out to clean it up, and will need new adhesive strips, then might as well stick a new one in. So no suggestions for a battery supplier?

4. MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

I just replaced the screen on my 6+ using a 60 dorrar Ebay screen, the quality is quite reasonable surprisingly. So an Ebay screen is the go.

For batteries I have heard ifixit's offering is as close to OEM as you will find without bending over and allowing Apple to ravage you... Having said that with the USD the way it is and shipping I'm not sure it'll be cheaper in the end:

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/iPhone/iPhone-6-Replacement-Battery/IF268-002-2

Cheers.

5. OP
    OP
    Asteroid

Asteroid Member

Well I got an lcd and a set of battery stickers off ebay. The battery store near work can order a ps-tech (or something?) for $59 which is supposedly oem. That would end up similar dollars as the ifixit. Might give that a go.

6. treeplant

treeplant Member

Id remove the motherboard and clean it properly
    Ebay batteries are a hit and miss, they use original cables from old original batteries so the phone wont reject it but the rest is spin of the roulette wheel.

Some are very good some last 5 hrs.

Id be more worried about them blowing up if super cheap

If the old one works id stick to that

7. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

Machine oil is probably one of the best fluids for someone to drop a phone into.

Asides the oil getting between the LCD and its backlight, which is what is giving you all the blotches, the rest of the phone will be just fine. You may have problesm with the oil fouling up the speakers and microphones, but if they still work then don't worry about them.

The battery is pretty well sealed, the oil isn't going to harm it.

The most I would do after swapping the LCD is to go around with paper towel and try and soak up as much of the oil as you can. Take the battery out, take care not to bend it too much when pulling it from its glue and take the mainboard out too to clean the oil under that.

8. adr_an

adr_an Member

FYI This is a pain in the butt to do. The glue that they use is pretty strong.

As stated above, take the whole thing apart and clean the board with some contact cleaner.

9. OP
    OP
    Asteroid

Asteroid Member

How hard is it to pull the board out once the screen and batt are out?

dakiller is of course right as mineral oil is non-conductive, unlike water, so even if it does stay a little oily inside nothing much will happen.

10. adr_an

adr_an Member

You don't need to take the battery out to take the screen or board off.
    From what I remember anyway.

11. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

Water is not really conductive either, that is not what kills phones, it is the corrosion that it causes the real damage in the end.

Once the screen it out, there is a few screws holding the mainboard in and then it is out.

12. treeplant

treeplant Member

There is 2 tabs at the bottom of the battery u peel the down then stretch them to the side slowly and twist they will most likely break and then you will need to force the battery out with something like a credit card but stronger, bending it bad and crumbling it.
    How ever if u are patient and manage to twist and pull the tabs from bottom to the top of the battery going around the sides the adhesive will let go.

Try ifixit guide they have pics and explain it better me

Dont use anything metal to pry the battery out I sparked a few with a screw driver as u will touch the case (ground)

Battery removal is recommended for pcb removal but u can prob still remove pcb with battery in (limited space)

If u are super tight you can buy a new backlight, pry the old one off the screen, desolder the 3 cables from the lcd connector. Clean the back of the lcd very good, stick new backlight on and solder the 3 cables back to the lcd connector.

Only pro is you still have the original screen from the front, con is spend 3 or 4 tiems the time it takes to replace with a ebay screen

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  13. OP
    OP
    Asteroid

Asteroid Member

So I finally gave this a go last Sunday. On closer inspection the oil had not gone deeper than the switch and corner of the battery. But the lcd seemed to absorb the oil like a wick.

So to fix it I disconnected the battery, carefully blasted some contact cleaner through the switch (which was really dirty), cleaned around the switch some paper towel and replaced the screen.

It's worked out pretty well so far. The replacement screen is ok, not brilliant and the tapered edge of the glass doesn't exactly match the frame but it's a working phone again for a little over fifty bucks. :thumbup: