iPhone 7/7+

Discussion in 'Apple iOS (OS & Devices)' started by MR CHILLED, Jan 20, 2016.

1. [=TrasH=]

[=TrasH=] Member

Reaching down and plugging in a cable in the middle of the night in a dark room is a pain. When I get to work, I just throw the phone n my pad, charging. No fiddling, no getting stuck on a dock. On my coffee table, I have installed charging pads - put your phone on the coffee table (simple IKEA table) and it starts to top up the battery...cables are for chumps :D

With every iteration of a device, it should not be going backwards. So when Apple feeds you BS like "The fastest iPhone EVER" of course it is. It *SHOULD* be faster than ever. It *SHOULD* have better battery life than ever. These are not things we need to be told, they are EXPECTED.

Phones are fast now. We need reasons to upgrade. My phone is playing up so I need a new one, but if it was acting as intended to start with, I would be pushing out my phone for another year.

A bit of extra RAM on one of the models. A bit faster processor, slight improvements in screen tech, a button that no longer clicks or moves. If you think these are features you are eating into Apples marketing BS.

A second camera with 2x magnification - that's a new feature, and they bought OIS to the non-plus. Water resistance too, but really that took too long for them to bring to market.

Fast charging was marketable, yet there is no mention. No specs that I have seen either. This would help me consider sacrificing wireless charging (begrudgingly) but I really need to see proof it isn't just vaporware.

2. aokman

aokman Member

A bit faster processor....right

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is an incremental upgrade on an already great, solid, reliable phone. I couldn't care what Apple is selling... All I know is its not another Android phone and thats good enough for me.

Removing the physical home button was an important step towards a solid state phone, home buttons were one of those things that failed a lot and it allows water to penetrate if you press it while submersed. I am glad to see it go.

You want proof that it has fast charging? Plug in a higher amperage charger and watch it charge quicker... bam fast charging.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  3. jars121

jars121 Member

Replace "Android phone" with "iPhone" and you've got my opinion on basically any Samsung/Sony/Nokia/HTC/etc. :D

Seriously though those CPU figures are very impressive!

EDIT: Having said that, I find it a little hard to believe that the 5S more than doubles the S7 in CPU performance in that particular benchmark...

4. aokman

aokman Member

I think you will fine its more software optimisation mixed with the hardware :) ITs a Javascript benchmark for web apps.

5. jars121

jars121 Member

Ahh ok gotcha, that makes sense :)

6. thecondor

thecondor Member

Just wondering if anyones iphones have gone into "preparing for shipment" stage with apple yet?

7. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

Depends on the colour, I've read that Jet Black may be 2-4weeks longer to deliver.

8. power

power Member

The home button should have gone years ago, I've had soft buttons for 5 years now. A physical clicker is extremely antiquated.

9. thecondor

thecondor Member

Bugger, yeah i ordered the jet black. :thumbdn:

10. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

I don't see anywhere showing that the 3.5mm adapter has a dac/amp in it.

It wouldn't make any sense for Apple to put one in the cable as well as in the phone. Why would they double up on hardware and reduce their margin?

11. aokman

aokman Member

Why would Apple put a DAC in it when it has no analgoue output. Aure it has the apeakers but that is handled seperately with the amplifier.

Why would it say anywhere that the adapter has a DAC in it... all you need to know is that it does what its supposed to do. As already mentioned. The lightning connector has no provision for an analogue output..

12. bondy_112

bondy_112 Member

I feel like we crossed the point where the processor being X times faster is irrelevant to most of the userbase.

A 6S is more than fast enough for anyone (Verge mentioned in their review you couldn't tell the difference 6S vs 7 in everyday).

Even my 6 with iOS10 is faster enough for everything I use it for and I consider myself a power user. I remember going from 4 > 5 and 5 > 6 felt significant in terms of speed.

The biggest step-change in the processor to me is the low-power cores.

13. aokman

aokman Member

On the iPhone side, I do agree but it does future proof the handsets somewhat when it comes to big updates down the track. Problem is many consumers are brainwashed into thinking they need stupid RAM and horsepower in a phone to get by day to day so Apple has to try and compete in that market.

Android is the only OS that I have seen that struggles with hardware to be honest. iOS seems to get the job done no matter what it runs on, except my original iPad of course lol.

14. power

power Member

You're kidding right (or you have the memory of a goldfish)?

The 3 and 3GS ran like garbage out of the box - the 4 became a paperweight when iOS7 came out and the 4S struggles to be responsive on anything over iOS6 - which it runs fantastically on.

Current handsets (high end) from everyone run well simply because they all have horsepower to burn.

15. aokman

aokman Member

Tell that to my note 4... 18 months old and lags on most web pages and takes 10 seconds for the camera app to load completely...

16. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

My regular black has.

My case just rocked up lol.

17. thecondor

thecondor Member

Bugger, I should have just ordered the regular black.

18. power

power Member

factory reset it and then we'll talk.

19. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

I don't think you understand how a speaker works.

For sound to be output from the phone's built in speakers, it requires a DAC to convert the digital signal of anything (ie. ringtone, music, etc), which is passed through the amp and then to the internal speaker.

So yes, the iPhone 7 does very much have an inbuilt DAC and amplifier. It's not outputting sound via magic.

I highly doubt the adapter has anything in it apart from wiring to convert the Lightning port into a 3.5mm jack. When used, the Lightning port will most certainly be outputting an analogue signal through the adapter to feed into whatever earphones you attach.

20. aokman

aokman Member

This is my 3rd handset, this one was wiped a month ago. Not doing it again as much as I love loosing all my data... Ill wait till Friday....then blow torch it.