iPhone 8/8+/X

Discussion in 'Apple iOS (OS & Devices)' started by MR CHILLED, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Campo

Campo Member

Finally got my update today that its on its way

2. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

3. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

The second iPhone X that Telstra stuffed up is finally moving along. From back order for a while to Stock Allocated last night and this morning to Completed. The gf is now getting emails and txt messages along with one that states her new plan has taken into effect (60GB a month).

The Good Guys had a Belkin 15W fast charging wireless pad earlier this week I think, or late last week. Managed to nab 2 which arrived today. I'm pretty impressed with these units. Looking forward to not having fumble around for the cable to connect and disconnect in the dark on the bedside table at home. I should have got at least 1 more for the office.

https://imgur.com/mjyDPTv

I'm just waiting for this to arrive for me:
    https://www.ipitaka.com/collections/magcase-for-iphone-x

And this for the gf:
    https://www.burkleycase.com/magneti...wallet-case-for-apple-iphone-x-burnished-tan/

Edit: One more final item. A suitable wireless canalphones for me. Requires more research since I do a fair bit outdoors and gym training.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  4. jigna27

jigna27 Member

oh man! I've been eyeing these things but the cost keeps me from pulling the trigger... Mate had a kevlar case (similar look) for the 7plus last year and it just felt superior to everything i'd tried. Keen to hear how good the grip of the built in metal plate is

Also, i know it says it's wireless charging compatible but i really don't know how it's not going to overheat the metal unless you're placing it down sooooo carefully

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  5. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Will do. It doesn’t cost as much as I thought actually. The Burkley case is actually more expensive than my one.

Which one did your mate have did you know? My only gripe with it is that it doesn’t have enough lip to protect the screen. It looked like it did based on the measurements.

https://imgur.com/gallery/i453F

Anyway, if a bowling ball dropped on my phone with a case on it that had lip protection, it ain’t protecting it. And I have a glass screen. I just want a relatively sturdy, lightweight, and thin case. And for once, move away from the plastic stuff. It’s such a premium device, might as wall protect premium with premium.

6. Squatting_Tiger

Squatting_Tiger Member

So i received my 8 Plus today and went straight to the Apple Store to get a Leather back cover (Cosmos Blue) and a glass screen protector on it. Not that impressed with the Belkin InvisiGlass Ultra Screen to be honest... took them 5 goes before i was happy with it (lol, there was a lot of wastage) and still there is minor lifting to one edge. Guy said if i wasn't happy after a day they would refund me the cost. But the phone though... WOW. Coming from a 6, this thing is incredible! Everything is snappy as can be and that camera...WOW!

7. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

The camera is pretty good huh? Do you guys use HDR? I think I prefer non-HDR, the photos seem a tad more vibrant that way.

8. Squatting_Tiger

Squatting_Tiger Member

Is there a trick to this Live Wallpaper business? It only animates when I 3d press in the lock screen...

9. wolfie81

wolfie81 Member

Yeah... the live wallpaper is a misleading pile of crap. Who really wants to press a screen for it to move. Utterly stupid and pointless.

10. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Looks like you have to press it, that's a bit pointless...

https://9to5mac.com/2017/11/06/download-iphone-x-wallpapers/

Probably better to use dynamic wallpaper instead.

11. Campo

Campo Member

Got my X yesterday, pretty happy with it so far. Only think im disliking at the moment is you cant show battery percentage on the top of screen. Although if the battery is as good as they say it is and I won't have to charge it for 2-3 days this is hardly an issue. I cant see that being the case though....

Also, does anyone else find truetone too yellow? Looks so unnatural to me, i've got it turned off currently.

12. power

power Member

13. Squatting_Tiger

Squatting_Tiger Member

14. jigna27

jigna27 Member

Is this really a real concern? I honestly think what's the big deal about unlocking your phone? If you have nothing to hide or aren't doing anything stupid, what's the issue?

On the flip side of this argument, remember the FBI terrorist investigation a couple of years ago where they were attempting to order Apple to build them a hack? FaceID would have resolved this quickly.

15. Copie

Copie Member

Its why you turn on face awareness, then even if they hold the phone to your face it still wont unlock unless you actively look at it.

16. leck

leck Member

Face id/fingerprints are more a convenience thing and are probably 'good enough' if you lose your phone somewhere and to prevent casual access. Both of them can be worked around in a targeted attack and its been covered before.

In a circumstance where you are under duress whether its police or thieves etc - and they have both you and your phone, you're shit out of luck in terms of denying access with fingerprint/faceid. A pin/passphrase with X failed attempts before wipe is obviously much more secure but if the situation is bad, you may well be coerced to provide access regardless.

17. power

power Member

so it's cool because terrorists?

easier said than done and much harder than someone forcing your fingerprint or getting a passcode.

18. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

On top of that, there's also a panic mode. Click the power button 5 times quickly, and it will disable biometric unlocking (faceID/touchID, depending on the model of phone).

Not that it matters much in Australia. We don't have any legal protections preventing us from being forced to unlock a device. A few states have laws specifically requiring passwords be given to police on request, other states will just charge you with obstruction of justice if you refuse. And in any state, police can probably find a judge that will charge you with contempt of court until you hand over the password.

19. Copie

Copie Member

Pretty sure as well you can enter in the incorrect code enough times it erases the device as well.

Whilst i doubt ill ever be in this situation, im sure if you have a mate who can access another i device with find your phone they can erase it remotely.

20. jigna27

jigna27 Member

...isn't that compelling enough a reason?

Honestly in my realm of thinking I just don't see why the huge deal. If I'm being robbed, the least of my worries is protecting my phone - it's only a 'thing'... my priority would be my family and myself. If I've been detained (again wayyy out of my normal scope) i can't think of any reason why I wouldn't cooperate... If I have nothing to hide, why wouldn't I just hand it over? Is the concern that they'll 'plant' evidence? or delete stuff? the latter is probably the only reason I can think of not to comply.

am I the only one on this wagon?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017