iPhone 8/8+/X

Discussion in 'Apple iOS (OS & Devices)' started by MR CHILLED, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  2. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

I always use glass screen protectors. Saved the amount of times the screen could've been damaged or badly scratched.

3. VIP3R

VIP3R Member

Likewise.

I work construction and there is so much shit in my pockets at the end of the day, sand is the one that scares me most.

4. birdie

birdie Member

I'm back on iPhone after about 15months with Android... I was going to get a second hand iPhone 7+ to use until my contract ran out, but luck was on my side and I spotted an iPhone 8+ 64GB only 3 weeks old for $650, I pounced and got it :) So I now have a Gold iPhone 8+ 64GB in great condition (aside from a couple of minor scratches on the screen from car keys or something like that - but only noticeable from an angle with the screen off). I would have prefered a Black or Silver version but for $650 I can deal with the Gold :)

She included a cheap basic plastic rear cover but I would like to get something a bit better, I did have a LifeProof FRE case when I had my iPhone 6S+ but I'm not sure that it's needed now that the 7 onwards is IP67 rated? I think I want to get a screen protector to go with the case if it doesn't have one just to prevent any more scratches.

5. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Cases designed for the IP7+ will fit the IP8+ no problems. Screen protectors for IP6+ will fit IP7 and 8+ no problems. Back cover protector from the IP7+ will fit the IP8+ no problem.

The Spigen cases are pretty good. If you need more protection, go for the Otterbox Defender or the Commuter.

6. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

I liked Spigen cases before I got my iPhone X. I bought one of their cases to go with it, and it's junk. The rigid outer that was metal on my iPhone 6 case is now cheap metal-look plastic. And the case sucks in dirt around the edges then keeps it behind the phone, where the dirt then rubs between the case and the rear of the phone. I'm sure that'll scratch up the rear glass in no time. I ditched mine (after waiting weeks for it to arrive) and went with the cheap-ish Cygnett case from JB.

7. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yeah it's a definite thing, I'm noticing the same on my S8 with cheaper cover. The cover is great but seems to suck and retain dirt which I have to clean out every week. Annoying.

8. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

Seriously thinking about switching from the S8 to the X... Anyone here changed from a similar phone and can share their thoughts? Only thing im concerned about the is camera not being as good.

9. jigna27

jigna27 Member

Coming from Samsung, you'd probably notice iphone pics being less punchy (i.e. colours less pop) and potentially less sharpening. But the 2 yrs I've been on iPhone the pics are quite good and given this is the top end of the market, camera performance is quite comparable.

10. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

Thanks, yeah I had the S6edge and the 7 Plus so I agree/know about the pics being less punch/sharp, was hoping a little the the X would stand out a bit more / be more comparable.

11. thecondor

thecondor Member

Hey mate I went s8 to iphone 7 plus, to note 8 to iphone 8 plus to iphone x to samsung s8 and back to iphone x.

Iphone x camera is great, its not as good as note 8 camera but it is very good still.

The iphone x is very nice phone to use, battery life is not great though. But the os feels a shitload better than andriod shitwiz on the s8. Honestly though the x to me is a lot better phone then the s8. The x is a better comparison to the note 8.

12. jigna27

jigna27 Member

Apple's take has always been more 'realism' once I accepted that, I pretty much stopped comparing. I had the S7 Edge and moved to the 6s Plus and was quite disappointed by it that I switched back to an S7. Then got the pixel (gen 1) before giving iOS another go and got the 7Plus and thought the pics between them were quite aligned. Definitely thought they were better than the S7 though fwiw.

X pics, I'd say is just as good as the 7Plus or better, I can't say I've done a big comparison tbh.

13. jigna27

jigna27 Member

Wow... that's quite the journey :thumbup:

14. thecondor

thecondor Member

Yeah I have stopped now, although the s9 is just around the corner....:/

15. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

Don't do it!! haha - everytime I jump back on the droid wagon (Cause I get bored of IOS) I remember how laggy the OS can be and wish I stayed with ios.

16. thecondor

thecondor Member

For me its the mail app and imessage, the two things I love about ios. Mail app is incredible for all my work emails, tried all the different driod mail apps and none come close.

17. jigna27

jigna27 Member

I never really understood the whole 'laggy' android vs ios claims. The whole time I was on Android (dozen phones over 2-3 yrs) I never thought it was laggy, esp the last few yrs. You'll actually find that Android's winning the speed tests on YouTube vs iPhone X. Pretty sure the current 'crown' belongs to OnePlus 5T... that's if you put any merit in speed tests

18. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

I switch between both religiously and generally IOS apps are just seem better written/smoother - but my main grief is even the gallery app within android just lags and stutters whens scrolling.

19. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

I didn't like the camera on my iphone's, but then again the camera lens + assembly and circuit is made and designed by Samsung, the colour filters and underlaying software is by Apple, a good phone camera is the LG G3-6 series, hard to beat. Supposedly the newer Nokia's aren't too bad either.

@lagging gallery app in Android, just download another photo gallery app from play store, plenty too choose from.

20. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member