iPhone 8/8+/X

Discussion in 'Apple iOS (OS & Devices)' started by MR CHILLED, Sep 12, 2017.

1. jigna27

jigna27 Member

2. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Too much vibrancy going on with pictures taken with the N8.

3. jigna27

jigna27 Member

Haha exactly what I mean. One person’s awesome is another person’s not good enough.

4. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

Picked up the X
    Camera's great, but I think I do prefer Samsungs vividness - iPhone definitely seems more natural/real, but not as pretty (more dull?)

Feels good to be on iOS again, shit just seems so fluid. Only gripe is closing apps now is a PITA... Bring back the swipe up to close!

5. slashrox

slashrox Member

Went back to using iPhones last week after switching back to android (Samsung S8) for a while. Loved the S8, but of course being heavily invested for years in iMessage and iCloud, its hard to stay with android after a while (plus lack of updates). Went back to using a iPhone 6s which I bought off a mate ages ago and kept as a backup phone. The battery has been pretty bad for a while, upgraded to 11.3 today and it was at 79%. I ended up replacing the 6s for the iPhone X yesterday as I had been tempted for a while to get one. Thought I would struggle with not having Touch ID, but I got used to not having it pretty quick, and got used to the new way of closing apps and the new way of swiping down to get the control centre pretty quick. No regrets getting the X, the phone is the perfect size for me (The S8 was too big for me and I'm definitely not used to having a + sized iPhone anymore).

6. jigna27

jigna27 Member

I'd be curious to hear your experience switching back to iOS. I just went the other way, iPhone X to Pixel 2 XL last week. After giving iOS a good go last year with 7Plus then X, iPad Pro, Airpods, Apple Watch I'm finally content that I'm more comfortable on Android and putting the Apple eco-system itch to bed

7. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

I am still having Bluetooth issues with my iPhone 8+.

My watch seems fine, my JBL wireless headphones are OK (although music does cut in and out sometimes, but no full disconnects) - but my 2010 Mazda 6 bluetooth is CONSTANTLY dropping bluetooth connection - but just on audio playback - phone calls are fine. And I am saying a maximum of 30 seconds of playback before the connection drops and it has to reconnect.

I just hooked my wifes 6 up to the car and had a 30 minute drive with no drop outs - so it's the phone and not the car.

Anyone else having issues of bluetooth playback in cars?

8. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

Sorry that sucks, Bluetooth is working fine on my iPhone X. Does the car support A2DP Bluetooth?

9. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Ohh I’m not sure.. I will have to look in the manual..

Did the Bluetooth tech change between the 6 and the 8?

10. Speaker4TheDead

Speaker4TheDead Member

Wife's X just died over the weekend.

Went on charge at 40% the previous night and never woke up in the morning.
    Can feel the battery heat up when charging but can't wake it up /power up/reset/detected via cable to Mac itunes.

Took it into apple and was given a new after some "testing".

Anyone else have similar deaths?

11. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

I don't have dropping out issues with my iPhone X. When it's connected, it's connected. However I have an issue with my i30 which is something I had previously when I had my 6 Plus. Which was that my controls sometimes became limited, ie. I could not pause, play, rewind, forward within song and tracks/playlist so I was stuck with a locked playlist. In terms of accepting calls and making calls, zero problems. The workaround is disconnect from BT settings on the car and force reconnect, always fixes it. This doesn't happen on my newer Tucson so I would assume this is a car BT issue with my i30. It also could be related to Spotify? i'm not 100% sure I haven't used inbuilt "Music" app from iPhone for a while.

12. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Is this the i30 with Appleplay?

Just to follow on, the other day I was going on a work trip to Horsham, which is about a 7-8 hour round trip with appointments in between, and I thought "ok, bluetooth ain't working - that's cool... in my iPhone 8 box there is a lightning to AUX adapter"

So I rummage through my draw with boxes and stuff in it... and find the adapter. I plug it in, get about 5 seconds of audio and then I get this message:

"This accessory is not supported by this device"

MOTHERFUCKER! I had to listen to my podcasts through the fucking SPEAKER of my fucking $1000 phone

13. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

I’ve got a 2012 i30 Elite, no Apply Play. My Tucson Highlander from last year does, no problems there.

14. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

So today the fates decided that I'd have an impromptu drop test of my one-month old iPhone X. I'd put it on a leather couch, went into another room, and in a matter of two minutes, I heard a loud crash - the phone had managed to slip off the slightly curved seat and fall about 3 feet onto the wooden floor. I'm usually not that careless. It must have fallen onto its side first, then landed on its glass back.

I was devastated. I love the way the phone looks and feels, so I have the (Space Grey) phone totally naked and up to this point, totally scratch and scuff free. I had errands to run so I did a cursory check and it seemed to be functional and not smashed, then I went out and only after dinner have I had a chance to check it carefully under harsh lighting. To cut to the chase, it's totally scratch, scuff and dent free. I mean literally zero marks. The light I held it under is unforgiving, it shows every flaw in anything, the tiniest speck of dust, fingerprint, the barest haze on the screen, but still no marks. I'm amazed, it seems impossible based on the sound I heard.

I tested every function, including 100% speaker level to see if anything inside was harmed or loose/rattling, and again no problems. I used the Lirum Device Info app to check the internal hardware (6 CPU core frequencies, memory, etc.) carefully too. I checked the chassis alignment. Zero detectable defects.

I distinctly remember reading this article a while back, which noted that the author's iPhone X got deep scratches after only a couple of months of careful usage, so I'd been worried about how delicate these things might be.

I found the drop test video which only confirms my experience: that when Apple says this is the toughest phone they've built, and one of the toughest smartphones available, they're not lying. It doesn't just survive minor drops, it can even walk away totally or nearly totally unscathed to boot.

Obviously, the phone can be damaged, as I'm sure existing iPhone X owners will testify. The torture test shows that the glass will scratch at a Mohs Scale of 6 and over. Which means things like pocket sand and gravel on surfaces will scratch it. But keys, coins, fingernails, zippers, will not. These phones also can't defy the laws of Physics, so a drop from a sufficient height or angle will smash the glass.

The reason I posted this, albeit in the X thread, is that it applies equally, if not more, to the latest XS (and hopefully XR) phones too, since they use the same construction with minor improvements. These phones are designed to take knocks and still look good. I'm not saying they need to be quite as expensive as they are, but by the same token, they are built extremely well, so that goes some way to justifying the cost. When early reports talked about how robust the X is, there was some debate over the way in which manufacturers weight their phones to make them feel heftier and thus deceptively robust. I'd argue the X and XS (and again, hopefully the XR) are the real deal.

The upshot of this story is that if you're on the borderline between going naked and getting a case or even a skin for your new X, XS, XR, then consider my tale and perhaps risk using the phone naked. It seems so much more worthwhile to me not to hide a slim, sleek, well-design phone behind rubber/silicon facades, no matter how thin or invisible they pretend to be. Obviously if your use is more demanding, or resale value is your key consideration, then ignore this. But I have to admit that I now feel so much more comfortable using this phone because of this incident, when it first felt almost too delicate to use normally. It's worrying when we reach the point as consumers that we obsess so much over even a small scratch on what is primarily meant to be a utilitarian object.

15. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

I threw my 8 plus at the wall other day and it survived.

16. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Ive had 3, 3GS, 4s, 6, 7 and now Xs Max.

Since 6, I’ve never bought a cover or screen protector. Just AppleCare plus and went naked.

At a minimum, I get a replacement near the end of the term, and sell it as Apple refurbished.

I don’t do anything fancy or lie to the genius, as per agreement, I just say I don’t like the scratches on the back or side and pay the fee and walk out with a new refurb.

$299 for XS max is steep, but I usually get my money worth with AppleCare plus.

PersianImmortal likes this.
  17. damo13579

damo13579 Member

18. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

I checked and it seems $299 is the standard price for all XS phones, not just the Max. Then you have to add $49 for screen damage or $149 for any other damage. So the total could wind up being almost $450.

I would never consider it normally, but since the newer phones from Apple are now so incredibly expensive to repair (e.g. $448 for X/XS screen replacement, $519 for XS Max), the more I think about it, the more it seems like a good option for some people. A fair portion of that cost would be defrayed by not having to buy case(s), and getting better resale price.

The key benefit is that we can enjoy our phones without covering them. Seems to me that now that iPhones are quite robust, waterproof, dustproof and reasonably scratchproof, the exterior of the phone is the case for most intents and purposes. Again, I realise not everyone can go naked with their phones, but I cringe a little when I see these new design phones covered in all manner of cheap silicon protection. Especially as few cases are genuinely drop-proof anyway, so their main function is just to prevent scratches.

19. Hater

Hater Member

I employ the "meh" way of dealing with it.

I use it without a case and accept scratches as a part of the deal of daily use. Plus the phones are getting so incredibly huge these days, adding a case to the bulk makes no sense to me.

I'm quite happy to use a phone with a cracked screen, adds character. In the end, nobody cares, least of all me. It's a phone, not a Rolex.

PersianImmortal and James086 like this.
  20. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

I'm working towards a similar attitude myself, because I can see that the way to madness lies in trying to keep these things pristine. I draw the line at a cracked screen though, that really annoys me :)