1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

iPhone 8/8+/X

Discussion in 'Apple iOS (OS & Devices)' started by MR CHILLED, Sep 12, 2017.

1. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

2. Alfonzo

Alfonzo Member

I think this announcement has been the biggest non-announcement so far. There's been videos on YouTube for at least the past month with realistic dummy phones that they've been doing unboxings and reviews of.

I think the most interesting thing I've seen on the website so far has been the new watch has cellular capabilities independent of the phone. Watching the keynote now, I'm pretty curious about what that means.

As for my phone... meh, I'm still pretty happy with the 7 right now.

edit: ugh, Tim Cook is such a bore to listen to.

3. 2SHY

2SHY Member

This is the biggest problem facing Apple. Since Steve Jobs is no logner with us, he still has not been replaced at Apple. While Tim Cook is great at managing production line and sales numbers, He is not a visionary like Steve Jobs was.

4. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Don't think Steve Jobs could have made this Xphone more interesting though?

What reason would someone with a ip6 upgrade?

I remember the days I wanted to upgrade from 3gs to 4s, 5 to 6 etc etc that i made up reasons to upgrade lol �� but now I don't think there is anything compelling and I'm on my fourth iPhone.

5. leck

leck Member

i've just had a quick 2 minute look at the 8

minor features
    -faster processor
    -better screen
    -better camera
    -new ios

major features
    -wireless charging
    -water/dust proof
    -emoji (i kid i kid)

I don't get the hate from you guys. It's basically the same as every iphone release I can remember. A bunch of minor incremental improvements with a few major features and a 'new' model. It's like you're expecting them to unveil a personal teleporter or something.

The X looks pretty cool. Will be interesting to see how the usability stacks up with the removal of the home button :O

6. wolfie81

wolfie81 Member

I suspect a lot of it is to do with price. If it was better priced, the hate wouldn't be as severe. Me personally, I would like the X but have no intention of paying that price. I will hold onto my current phone for a year longer.

7. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Don't like the price, or can't afford it then don't buy the damned thing.

There's a ton of people quite happy to pay the price and that's not Apple's fault.

They don't owe anyone an affordable phone. That's not what Apple is or ever has been.

8. mmBax

mmBax Member

I’d happily own the X.

I’ve got a 6 now, and to me it’s a pretty good phone. But an upgrade to wireless charging, water resistance, better camera, face recognition, that all appeals to me along with the other improvements.

The price however, does not, and more than likely will not be something I can justify. I’m really going to have to rethink my phone game again, more than likely I’ll invest in a second hand 7 or maybe even get an 8 if I can justify the expense (I really think the 8 is a waste of time and a bs release, but if the price is right)

Will have to wait and see what the future brings really. At this stage I still can’t see myself going back to Android, not tied to iOS in any way, but I DO NOT want to touch Samsung, and nothing else really jumps out for me.

9. power

power Member

this release makes those new Nokia's so much more appealing now.

10. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

With the disproportional increase in pricing you will simply see less people buying outright, more people on contracts/plans and less people turning over their phone at every yearly release.

11. power

power Member

Maybe, contracts are pretty awful atm. It makes you wonder what the spread is and how many are outright and are contracts.

12. Tronador

Tronador Member

I am a bit pissed that the choices are either 64gb or 256.

I have a 128 iPhone 6 at the moment that is over due for a replacement. I don't use all the storage on that but I use more than 64....
    Just comes across like a money grab.

13. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I don't see them as awful, a lot are going unlimited these days, so differentiating factor then becomes price, gig quota and contract length. Download quotas are a bit lacking but are getting better.

14. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Can't wait for unlimited downloads on mobile
    Than I'll get rid of my home connection full stop.

When one of operators Telstra, TPG, Vodafone or Optus come out with 500gb plans. I'll ditch nbn save $90 and get a $5 shared sim etc and have all my home stuff connect by 4g.

15. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

It's actually more worth it getting a renewal on your phone contract and getting the new iphones on a new contract than buying outright, which imho is fucking stupid.

16. Gonadman2

Gonadman2 Member

They're definitely awful. I'm on Telstra's $95/month/5gb for an HTC 10. Was hoping for a Note 8 and a quota bump - 7 to 10gb would've been fine. To get close I'd need to go to the $129/month plan which comes with 20gb so I'd be paying for data I'm not likely to use. Or stick with 5gb and suffer a $24/month increase over the HTC 10 plan price.

I'd imagine the iPhone X will be similar/more than these plan prices. Yes they are awful.

17. power

power Member

those prices are just fucked, I'm on a $49 telstra plan with a handset I own. No way is it worth the extra to pay a phone off over 24 months.

18. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

You're buying a handset, a lot of that cost is the handset. Like I said more and more providers now are offering unlimited plans, data isn't so good as I said, but things are on the improve, just as hard drive sizes increased. It just takes time.

19. Gonadman2

Gonadman2 Member

When I picked up my '10 it was cheaper to buy the phone on contract than to own outright and go on a BYO plan. Telstra have upped their game in that department, and now it'd be silly to go on contract.

20. jfat

jfat Member

How are contracts not worth it? So lets say you get a $1000 phone (we are talking about iphones so flagship of any brand or iPhone) that's about 40 bucks over 24 months. Add the $49 plan youre on and that's 90 bucks a month.

I got my s8 on plan for 77/mnth with virgin, incl unlimited everything and 16gb/mnth.