iPhone 8/8+/X

Discussion in 'Apple iOS (OS & Devices)' started by MR CHILLED, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Gonadman2

Gonadman2 Member

The Note 8 is $1500 - over 24 month's that's $62.50/month (not inc interest). If you take up the $129 plan, that's $66.50 for 20gb/month which isn't too bad when compared to the BYO plans $70 for 15gb and $90 for 25gb.

2. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

Jesus...

The most disappointing announcement to date....

Was waiting to see if Wife should upgrade. Her iPhone 6+ is almost dead...

We will only upgrade to the iPhone 7+. And I'll keep my 7+.

3. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

How the hell was this announcement MORE disappointing than the bloody iPhone 7 announcement?

4. power

power Member

$129/month -- no thanks.

5. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

I'm not convinced with the $350 premium of the iPX over the iP8.

1. No home button, replaced with swipe up gesture. As you can see here, he needed to swipe twice to get back home. With an actual physical or software button, it's pretty much 99% hit rate. This is one my biggest gripes, but since I haven't actually used or tired, I reserve my judgement until I actually try it.

https://youtu.be/9pOTNQk9Xb8?t=219

2. Face ID. Yes, they said it was like 1 in a million chance that another person can unlock your phone, yet Schiller said that if you have an identical twin, then you need consider other methods to lock your phone, wtf? Then there's legal issues as linked by someone here previously. I'm seriously not convinced this is better than Touch ID, more like collateral because they removed the home button and could fit an fingerprint scanner anywhere else.

O/T: I though of Arya Stark and the Many Faced God when I was watching the keynote :p

3. The screen. Yes it's edge to edge now, but that notch on the top is not very aesthetically pleasing at all. Luckily with videos you can zoom back so the notch doesn't crop the videos. The design might grow on me one day.

4. The price. So in conclusion, you pay $350 premium for pretty much the OLED screen. Face ID is not an additional feature, more of a forced alternative to Touch ID, and lack of home button is more of a omission like the headphone jack at this point in time.

As a current user of an iP6S+, I was looking forward to upgrade this year, not because of necessity, but because I like tech and phones. Now, with the iPX and the exorbitant price, I really need to think.

6. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

If you 'need' a new phone just get the 8/8+ as it'll be a pretty impressive upgrade from the 6S I reckon.

The X isn't for anyone even considering value in their purchase decisions lol.

7. mmBax

mmBax Member

That's what I'm leaning towards at the moment. An upgrade from the 6 to the 64gb 8 will be plenty of an upgrade for me. The better chip, camera, wireless charging and waterproof/dust proof will do it for me.

I'd imagine that most people that are on plans and regularly upgrade with each new model, aren't going to be too worried about the price increase. For some people having the newest of anything is more important than simple financial common sense.

8. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

I'm thinking the opposite. Why both upgrading to the iPhone 8 when there's nothing particularly new about it.

If FaceID and the swipe-up are alright, I'll be grabbing one. Otherwise, I'll probably be looking for a cheap iPhone 7.

9. Alfonzo

Alfonzo Member

A quick scan through the comparison specs on Apple's website shows the 8 and 8+ have the same CPU guts as the X, and also get wireless charging, but just miss out on the things like the OLED screen and the facial unlock.

The 8 will still be a reasonable phone coming from a 6S.

10. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Agreed :thumbup:

The 8 is the X without the $300+ surcharge for different screen and removal of TouchID. So I reckon the 8/8+ is pretty good as an upgrade even from my iPhone 7 :lol:

I'm pretty sure no buttons and FaceID will suck at least for a while.

11. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I'm sure they won't miss your money :p

12. power

power Member

me too sadly.

13. Laser Eyes

Laser Eyes Member

I'm curious about something. Doesn't the area at the top of the phone which contains the camera and other things obstruct the image. If you're playing a game or watching a movie you can't see the image underneath the camera. You can only see the top and bottom of that edge. If I am right, what a stupid idea!

14. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

I'm guessing movies and games wouldn't use the bits to the left and right of the FF camera. In normal operation, it looks like that area shows your WiFi/4G/Battery status, which currently occupies the top ~5mm of a regular iPhone screen.

15. Laser Eyes

Laser Eyes Member

I'm afraid you are wrong. Watch the game demonstration during the launch event. The game showed image at the top and bottom of that edge. So it looks like every full screen image on the iphone X, whether it be a full screen app, a movie or whatever will have the image obstructed. I'm calling Apple out on this. What a stupid idea!

16. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

FaceID is a big issue for security. PIN/Password isn't perfect, nor is fingerprint. But there are a number of ways a face unlock can be done without the owner's knowledge/consent.

Biometrics in general are concerning, as they can't be changed. I can change my PIN/password every now and then, but not my fingerprint or face.

It's a worrying trend towards convenience over security. But at the same time, I know the vast majority have absolutely no security on their phones whatsoever, so *anything* is better than nothing.

Given how phones now hold so much data critical to our lives, it's quite worrying how they're being designed around the convenience of the most stupid/lazy members of society.

Beyond that, AUD $1800+ for a phone is ludicrous. That's more than my laptop, and a fraction as useful.

17. Laser Eyes

Laser Eyes Member

Regarding face ID consider this. If the police want to access all the information you have on your iphone X all they have to do is 1) take your phone off you and 2) hold the phone in front of your face.

I will never use face ID.

18. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

Before TouchID, I'd say 50% of people didn't have a PIN on the phone - so you could just grab it and unlock.

The face identification that Samsung (?) had that could be tricked by a curved photograph wasn't great. It looks like the Apple version will be much tougher to fool.

They reiterated multiple times that you needed to look at the phone to unlock it. If that's true, it may be easy to avoid the scenario you described above. But it also means it probably won't work if you're wearing sunglasses.

In Australia we don't have any protections anyway. If you fail to unlock your phone for the police, that alone is now a crime and they can send you to jail for 5 years - even if there is nothing incriminating on your phone. And better hope you don't forget a password, because even if you forget it, it's still the same offence.

19. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Doesn't work with a photo. That was gen 1 tech years ago.

As above, I'm all for bringing "better" security to the non-tech-savvy users. But I worry that these sorts of things will build too much complacency. I hear what you're saying though, and I said it above as well. Something is better than nothing. I'm just worried that this will make people trust things more than they should, from a position of ignorance.

Again, that was gen 1 tech you were describing. You can't fool a Samsung Galaxy S8 with a photo.

Pro Tip: Apple don't invent anything. They take tech well researched by others and popularise it (nothing wrong with that either, it makes them good profit, and dramatically lowers risk). That's their entire M.O. Folks need to stop assuming Apple are the bleeding edge engineering team that their marketing team says.

I love how discussions of phone unlocking always result in "false arrest, corrupt police" arguments. I'm 1000 times more worried about regular thugs stealing my phone to access the financial information on it than I am police.

How many people are using Apple Pay (or any NFC payment system - Google have the same on Android) now? A phone is more or less a credit card, and making them easy to break into is a pretty tasty target.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  20. OzzieFarmBoy

OzzieFarmBoy Member

$1800.00? Eeep!

I think I'll stick with my 6 until they stop supporting it.

Even if it was $1200.00 I'd probably balk at upgrading. There is nothing that any of the newer phones can do that the 6 cant that leaves me wanting.

Personally I think Apple are heading down the slippery slope of pricing themselves out of the market.