iPhone 8/8+/X

Discussion in 'Apple iOS (OS & Devices)' started by MR CHILLED, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Holy..! I think a new VR gaming PC would be a better a choice of that kind of expenditure. :wired:

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I'm not sure how you quantify "best track record". Apple do well in some areas of security, and have screwed up others. They're no different to any other vendor in this regard, and anyone saying anything different is merely demonstrating bias.

I don't. The phone as a status symbol phenomena is well documented across many demographics. Teens are the worst - ask any high school principal. But worryingly, more recently, adults aren't much better, with many not maturing past their teenage years due to the impacts of social media, celebrity worship, and obsessions with status.

The article is a humorous demonstration of the "instant gratification" problem people have. The phone in isolation is not the problem, but rather people upgrading year on year with no need, simply because the beat of Apple's marketing drum told them to. Ditto for every other fashion item they own (because again, phones are status/fashion items far more than practical devices - arguably nobody *needs* a $1800 phone, when they can do the same tasks on cheaper models).

I'm actually a bit surprised I have to explain that.

Humans are pretty terrible at understanding statistics. "On average" rolling a dice will result in "3.5", but I've got as likely a chance of getting a 1 as a 6 on the first roll. If Apple's measurement of FaceID is "one in a million", that is as likely to be the first person as the millionth, and more to the point "a million" is a very small number. (Also probably a lot more likely for relatives, family member, or people of similar facial markers via similar genetics/race).

In security, you want to see chances of one-in-trillions or more, not millions, and especially when the sample set (faces) are less random than you'd think when you hang out with people who look similar to you (as we all tend to do, as is human nature).

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  3. patto

patto Member

It doesn't matter what security access your phone has. If that is a risk then you have a big security risk there.

4. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

I'm just following what you're saying.

At a regular store, you have the options of cash, Card(chip+pin), Card(paywave/payapss), NFC via a Phone.

You've said you don't use paywave.
    You're saying NFC is too insecure because it makes you a target for thieves.
    Cash is less secure than both of the above.
    Only remaining option is Card with chip+pin (presumably you've drilled holes in the internal antenna to disable paywave).

5. DVDHack

DVDHack Member

I'm not sure I can take statistics advice from someone who thinks a dice has 7 sides! The chances of rolling a 1 instead of a 7 are infinitely higher.

6. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

Dice could also be plural of, so you can roll a 7 if you roll the dice. But he did say "a dice" so that is indicates singularity. But then there are some dice out there with more than 6 sides :lol:

Anyway, I found this video interesting to answer some more questions about the new iPhones:

7. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Why are some people calling the X iphone 10 (assuming we going by roman numerals now which has never been the case for iphone models) ?

8. thecondor

thecondor Member

Cause it is the 10 year anniversary phone. Hence X.

9. miicah

miicah Member

Any word of an iPhone SE update?

10. power

power Member

because that's what Apple are calling it.

11. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

That's it. Tim Cook called it iPhone 10 when he announced it. Not surprising at all because Mac OS X was called 10 not "X".

12. Beanz

Beanz Member

So Apple have copied Microsoft and skipped V9?

13. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Because it's the 10th anniversary, and they got too busy fuckarsing around with names, S, S Plus S Plus S, etc for money grabs for recycled hardware. My guess.

14. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

That's shit house. So no iphone 9? Fuck me, I'm going to expect to own an iphone 50 when I'am an old grandpa.

15. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Mac OS X is called Mac OS X, not 10.

16. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS
    Feel free to notify Wikipedia if you have other sources contradicting the above.

17. Cape_Horn

Cape_Horn Member

This is interesting, and in Aus, the numbers are actually quite scary.
    When you use the term 'fashion' if we just refer to clothing, apparently Australians are the second largest consumers of clothes behind America (per person, ofc,.) - 27kg of clothes a year.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-...h-new-clothes-hurting-the-environment/8177624
    (and apparently on average we throw out ~23kg a year)

I know my wife and I are at the other end of that scale (we have tshirts that are still worn from 20years ago, we wear clothing until it wears out, not because it isn't fashionable. the only issue is we can't hand off our left overs to charity - they won't take cleaning rags ;) ), but then you hear about how some others see fashion, and it actually scares me how much people consume.
    One of my wife's work colleagues had a go at her because her shirt was one she had seen her wear last year. And then was ranting that you should be replacing clothes every season. When my wife clarified this position, the response was "Clothing only lasts 3 months, then you throw everything out and replace everything"
    And as you can expect, this is someone who buys lunch and 2-3 coffees a day, and whinges about never having money, how it is tough to live paycheck to paycheck (on 90k a year for her income, and her husband works full time as well)

We really do live in a consumerist society.

18. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Getting rid of fingerprint auth all together (not even on the back?) is a bit stupid, you can just point the phone at the owner's face from considerable range to unlock, use apple pay and more.. :thumbdn:
    Also because swipe up is now the new home, all the the new swipe down from the left side to get notifications and swipe down from the right side to get control, etc to get different is going to make it very hard to use one handed.. meh.

Once again, design over function.

19. power

power Member

no way, it's #courage

20. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

:lol: I was distracted while I was posting. Apologies. But you get the gist. (The other numbers are right - the average is still 3.5, which is not only impossible to roll, it's also not an indicator of what you're likely to roll on any given roll).

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017