iPhone 8/8+/X

Discussion in 'Apple iOS (OS & Devices)' started by MR CHILLED, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Nobody calls it Mac OS '10'. I've been using there products using the Mac OS environment for as long as I remember.

2. newynut

newynut Member

I say mac 10.

3. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Do you really think they sat there and said I think we need to follow what MS has done......?

4. power

power Member

Yeah they are feeling left out of the x party I mean Microsoft is releasing the xbox One X that's 3 x's! Apple have to keep up.

5. Shado

Shado Member

Getting rid of the fingerprint auth I agree is stupid (would have like to have seen it in the power button, because I think the FaceID not working is going to be an infinitely larger problem than it working for people it shouldn't.

If by considerable range you mean 'within a reasonable human's arm length' then yes. If you mean further, then no, because even I could code something that could tell the phone was further away than that with one camera. With the number of cameras and projectors in that thing it would require a special kind of stupid to have not defended against that on day 0.

What I find interesting is that the 'portrait lighting' has fairly certainly come out of the effort they put into FaceID, and I'm wondering whether the portrait mode on the 7 wasn't also related.

Agree on the control centre being problematic, reserve final judgement for when using one, but I can't see it being as easy as the current swipe from the bottom. Especially without the probably seldom used anyway reach-ability feature.

Microsoft skipped 9 because so much code is like:

if (version like 'windows 9%') --detect windows 95/98

Apple I guess it's just the 10th anniversary? Maybe also trying to keep their phone numbering as high as any competitor... :o

Most on that scale have stuffed up worse. Short of blackberry I've not seen a phone harder to get into. And they're really not a player anymore. So yeah, I discounted companies without reasonable market share, because I my mind they're not in the running. So sue me.

I'm sure you're correct, but your implication this is a universal truth that applies to everyone is overreach.

True. I don't have that problem, so I find it hard to see. I buy $1 T-Shirts because they are for other people and I don't buy into status symbol crap. But I'll buy a $4k macbook because I enjoy using it, me, not to be seen, but because I tried cheaper and it was crap. I've literally had to buy a battery case to keep my phone alive (because I'm not able to do without it for long enough to get the battery replaced for work reasons). So I can stretch it another year. But then I'll have no problem in year 3 or 4 buying an expensive phone, I'll hide it in a case too.

It's because you are being dismissive of other people you know nothing about, you are saying that's a problem, everyone has it, no one would ever buy an expensive phone because they enjoy using it, it has to be to show off. This is simply not true. You can't claim to know what's in other people's heads, that's ridiculous.

I know, I'm explaining statistics to people every other day. Any one entry in a lottery is as likely to win as any other, it could be the first time you buy a ticket, it's just very very unlikely, buying a second ticket later, still the same chance as the first one.

So you could try a million faces, but the next one is still not guaranteed to log you in. But of course you only get a handful of failed attempts, so 1 in a million is still a very low chance. That's really the key here, failed attempts need to lock you out quickly, otherwise you're right, it's not very high. .

Those 'pattern' unlocks are the worst, there's only a handful people regularly use.
    4 digit passcode 1/10,000 (probably worse if you socially engineer it)
    fingerprint 1/50,000 * claimed
    FaceID 1/1,000,000 * claimed

None of these are infallible, which is why you need yet another longer more complex password for your apple ID + 2 factor. For just getting into your phone this is infinitely better than nothing, and there's nothing better that people will use regularly.

If the people you hang around with are likely to drain your bank account and steal your identity, you've got problems a phone can't solve.

I can tell you, from practically dealing with security, one-in-trillions is the goal but it's rarely achieved by the every-day-man. And one in trillions is insufficient if you're allowing infinite guesses against a sophisticated attacker, the NSA can do a trillion guesses a second for even some fairly complex algorithms. But for stopping your mates from pissing about with your phone, or that pickpocket from getting into your phone, one in a million is a hundred times more than sufficient when they have only a handful of tries.

Because exactly what you say, the chance of getting a 1 on a die is 1/6. Every time. Because you try it 6 times, doesn't mean you're guaranteed to get a 1. Which means even if the chance is 1:1,000,000 practically speaking if you're trying to get into the phone, you could be there a very very long time. Sure, time #1 you could get lucky, but it's unlikely, especially given they actually have to take your phone from you physically first. Unless you're the owners identical twin I imagine, in which case, I guess you're SOL.

The 'average' of all the numbers on a 6 sided die has nothing to do with statistics as they relate to frequency. Maybe an example of rolling 2 or more dice? That then will give you a distribution that has some statistical interest. But again is really not related to the question at hand.

Maybe I'm biased because I've never lost a phone, or a wallet, or keys, of freaking anything despite plenty of overseas travel and being 'sized up' plenty of times. Literally physical security is the #1 form of security, anything else is just a backup, 1:1,000,000 sounds pretty good to me if it also requires breaching physical security, especially since it doesn't give access to my bank accounts, or any money without another password. Meanwhile I used credit cards where exactly one person in a decade ever checked the signature, paypass where there is 0 security once you have the physical item, or keycards that can be skimmed so you don't even need the physical item.

So in the battle for convenience vs security, this seems to be firmly on the security side, to the point I'm more worried it won't work with MY face and will hamper my convenience.

6. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Their popularity and sales say otherwise :cool:

7. Hater

Hater Member

£84 for the fast charger if you want to fast charge your iPhone X/8.

£120 for the charging mat if you want to wirelessly charge your phone - £299 if you want wireless headphones that are able to be charged with the same mat to go with.

:thumbup:

8. Sankari

Sankari Member

And people have the gall to say that Apple rips off their customers!

:tongue:

9. Hater

Hater Member

I'm an Apple customer, I guess I'm just really lucky that their only phone product that appeals to me is also their cheapest...

10. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

It's hardly a rip off. Any android ecosystem product of equal build quality and function will cost only marginally less.

It's also not like Apple locks you into first party accessories either. If there's something they make there's a 3rd party making something comparable.

11. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

every time a new device comes out ... everyone complains about how much they have to spend to get the latest and greatest ... eventually most buy it.

12. Hater

Hater Member

Debatable.

13. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Most? Most what?

Most smartphone users? No, Apple only has about 20% of the global market share.

Most iPhone users? Again, no. Data suggests the higher end devices within Apple's offering only get used by 20-30% of iPhone users.

Apple's premium products are literally a minority within a minority.

14. Beanz

Beanz Member

No, I don't really think that... Did you really think that I really thought that? :wired:

15. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Oh sorry, just sounded very much like you thought that :D

16. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

17. DVDHack

DVDHack Member

18. thecondor

thecondor Member

So even though the iphone x has fast charging they dont include a fast charger in the box, you have to buy one on top. WTF........

19. nav

nav Member

I'm one of those people. First I'm enraged at the price hike, later on I'm enraged using old tech.

An $800 phone is ~$1 per day over 2 years.
    A $1500 phone is ~$2 per day over 2 years.

Either way, great value when I think about day-to-day usage, organising my life, helping me achieve a great many things.

-nav.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  20. Opticon

Opticon Member

That's how I've thought about it recently. I'm still on a 5s and will be ordering the 8 this afternoon due to the battery life in my 5s getting worse and worse even with minimal use. I paid $1200 (incl apple support) back on 23/10/13 so ~$0.86 a day isn't bad when I'll keep the 8 for the same amount of time as well.