iPhone users - help test my app (Cello)

Discussion in 'Apple iOS (OS & Devices)' started by nudge, Jan 19, 2008.

1. nudge

nudge Member

Hi guys and gals,

I've dived into the realm of iPhone programming, and have started to write my first app named Cello.

Cello is a GSM cell locator and tracking tool for the Apple iPhone. Cello works by gathering data from nearby cell towers to determine location information. (I started writing this before any news of the Google My Location service in 1.1.3, d'oh!)

Nevertheless, Cello has a few advantages over My Location in 1.1.3. Google My Location service requires an active connection to the internet for it to work. Cello can work offline in conjunction with cached Google Maps, which is a big plus (since data rates are still a bit expensive in Australia). In addition, Cello runs as a separate application, so this means (one day) it can do things like logging, tracking, friend-finding, event-finding and other cool stuff.

Cello currently only has data for the Australian states of VIC, NSW, ACT and QLD for the Optus and Vodafone networks. No support for Telstra, yet.

Cello can be installed using the AppTapp Installer:
    * Start Installer.
    * Tap the "Sources" tab at the bottom right corner.
    * Tap the "Edit" button.
    * Tap the "Add" button.
    * Enter http://iphone.nudge.id.au/repo into the box, then hit OK. Installer will now add the source to the database.
    * Tap the "Done" button.
    * Tap the "Install" tab at the bottom.
    * A new folder should appear named "Cello". Tap this.
    * Install both "Cello" and "AU Database".
    * Close Installer and you should now have Cello on the springboard.

Cello is still alpha stagish, so expect bugs and incomplete functionality (ie the friends, log and prefs buttons do nothing yet). It would be appreciated if you iphone users could give it a test run and let me know how it goes!

More information at:
    http://iphone.nudge.id.au/Cello/

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Cheers!
    nudge

2. antman.ws

antman.ws Member

Just curious, have you tried out Soneso's 'LocateMe' app yet? Some deal as yours - works but requires Internet for map location. Will try yours soon :)

3. OP
    OP
    nudge

nudge Member

Hey antman,

I have Soneso's LocateMe a try today, as far as i can tell, it just hooks off the back of Google's My Location service. And you are correct -- it requires an active internet connection, which is something i wanted to avoid.
    It also doesn't allow for things like cell information, cell logging, tracking, friend-finding, event finding and things like that, which i eventually want to get into Cello.

Though using Google's My Location is not a bad fallback option for missing data. I will probably hook into it in the future if they open the API. Currently Google have not published the API, and caused some trouble for those piggybacking off its service. It asked another similar app to Soneso's LocateMe to cease operating after it hooked into their API (this was in early December), after which they took it down a few days later.

4. Dillby777

Dillby777 Member

i tested out your Cello app today its a good concept but the main issue i had was it wasn't able to locate me, on the network info page it was showing as unknown/unidentified, mind you i'm on virgin mobile and my iphone thinks i'm on optus so that could be causing an issue.

5. OP
    OP
    nudge

nudge Member

Hi Dillby777,
    Thanks for giving it a go. Virgin uses the Optus network so Cello is identifying the network correctly. Where abouts in Australia are you situated?

Cheers,
    nudge

6. Dillby777

Dillby777 Member

hi nudge
    I'm in Sydney
    on the main screen it does say tower location: No data

7. fox1

fox1 Member

If you need a formula to work out distance between geolocations let me know (found one that is really accurate), or do the towers transmit where they are and give you an estimate on distance from them?

I'm pretty interested in how it all works. :thumbup:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  8. Dillby777

Dillby777 Member

in the network screen it shows what at i guess to be towers, they show a minus figure and there is a few of them but there all either unknown or unidentified.

9. Dillby777

Dillby777 Member

i relise where i was going wrong, when i was at bankstown it wasn't able to find where i was,
    i tried it when i was at home and it worked,
    because your software relies on the google maps cached data it was able to locate me at home cos i have used google maps to locate my home and not my work out at bankstown,

i might be worth while adding in a msg when it can't find your location it says no google map data for this area please use google maps or someting like that
    so people know that they need to use google maps and find there location manually