iPhone X - OLED Touch Screen Replacement

Discussion in 'Apple iOS (OS & Devices)' started by ChinoPD, Jun 17, 2019.

1. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Cracked my iPhone X screen. Top half of screen now doesn’t respond to touch. Genuine Apple repair is about $500. I was two months away from my contract and in the end forked out a $340 early exit fee, and now I’ve got an iPhone XS, same size, same plan, paying $6 less per month (go figure), same provider.

To my main point, I’ve watched about half a dozen videos on the OLED screen replacement and I believe I am ready. I know what tools I need, but I’m not too sure where to get the screen from. iFixit have it for $150USD, I wonder if anyone here has had a crack and if so, what’s a reputable place anywhere, where I can purchase a screen online. Cheers :thumbup:

Edit: Quite a bummer really. I actually love the X and could have easily have continued use for at least 12 months, or even 2 years. My main reasoning for repair is have it as a secondary device for “rough” activities. I have started mountain biking in November and since the learning process mean something more confidence, and more speed. And with progress, I’m bound to crash and I’ve already had two major crashes. I’d rather have a spare/secondary unit I can use for these activities instead of taking my primary device. In addition: I use it for music and GPS mainly for tracking and recording activities.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  2. Queenie

Queenie Member

Ifixit is a good go for some stuff, I've not replaced an X screen yet, but there's a couple of things I would recommend, since it's hazy the first time.

The first is this: https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/iSclack/IF145-243

makes it feel nicer to have your shit on.

The second is screw management, I'm sure you're not a noob.

I'd honestly say if you're scared, Ifixit. I'm not sure how the faceID will respond, but generally when replacing systems on the older models you end up breaking the touchID.

You've basically got to do the replacement while the battery is completely fucking dead and also check how to disconnect the battery.

I'd say, going by the fixit guide would probably do well. I'll check.

ChinoPD likes this.
  3. Queenie

Queenie Member

Yeah, pay attention to the video, I'm guessing same principle: drain her of juice before disconnecting things so she doesn't realise you're doing a dodgy on the repair.

ChinoPD likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Thanks mate, I was going to pick up the screw set as well as this:

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/iOpener/IF145-198

Edit: actually, all the tools in here:
    https://www.ifixit.com/Store/iPhone/iPhone-X-Screen/IF377-051?o=1

I thought the iOpeneer was the entire kit. I don't need it I think sensibly using a hairdryer should do for heating the adhesive.

Definitely not scared. I watched a few others from YT, there were more detailed processes there. There was one or two where they were rough/careless and sloppy. But this is the best one I found:

Edit: Also yeah, got it with screw management. This is nothing. I used their guides for MacBook Pros before and that definitely needed some screw management, as well as just common sense in terms of making sure you work in the right environment :thumbup:

Don't need to drain but definitely good idea to disconnect battery. About 4:20 time stamp on video above.

I just don't know whether there's a trusted eBay store for genuine iPhone X screens or should I wait until iFixit have it in stock.

5. Queenie

Queenie Member

Any generic online place that sells the screen often has the cheap versions of the tools you need packaged if you feel cavalier enough. I don't actually have all the fancy gear apart from a proper screw set for all the devices needed and the slack.

I'd really be recommending Ifixit at this point, as I've had screens from multiple different eBay varieties, and they do vary significantly in quality-

some screens even cause an iPhone version of a blue screen of death, distinguishable by blue bands on the screen and limited functionality.

Oh, they say True Tone functionality disables. OK, so that's a guess by a mate on that one.

https://www.fixez.com/store/iphone/iphone-x may be ok

basically, unless you actually speak Chinese and know a guy in china, it's harder than you think to source this from the source of production.

6. Queenie

Queenie Member

oh people respond in real time now lol

I like the video you posted better, I've not noticed issues, but things can be touchy, they don't mention it but the whole 'display opens up to the right' thing like, it can't go any further, and can damage the cables if you drop, so just having some sort of flat plane to rest it against after you open it up is a good idea.

on my stuff about draining it'd be a theory regarding if True Tone functionality could be re-enabled.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  7. OP
    OP
    ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Hehehe

I definitely came across a warning that True Tone functionality will no longer work after a replacement. The only one I haven't seen is whether the replacement screen will come with its own adhesive. If it is already attached and on the screen I suppose it's just a matter of making sure its heated and soft on installation, to retain the water resistant properties.

Here's a good example of how NOT TO replace the screen:

Just clumsy, and using what appears to be metal tweezers to work on those flex cables. Although the first vid also does it, but not as bad as the one above.

By time time I get all the parts, the phone would definitely be well drained by then!

8. OP
    OP
    ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Another good one:

Ahhhh 3:45 on this shows adhesive application which actually comes in a separate film. Top stuff.

Edit: Looks like these guys sell the screen too at half the price. It'w weird, title mentions OLED but description mentions LCD..... I'm going to send these guys an email to confirm.

Also, thanks Queenie, your site has a better looking quality OLED replacement. They sell the adhesive film as well. I might get it from there. More expensive than iFixit, but in stock.

https://www.fixez.com/store/iphone/iphone-x/iphone-x-display-assembly-premium

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  9. nav

nav Member

Will you be replacing with an OEM screen/digitiser?

I had my 6s done with 3rd party repair and hated it, was never the same, but mine was for daily use. Main gripe was the screen didn't work with polarised sunnies, unless I used it on 45 degree angle. I gave up shortly after and bought a secondhand iPhone 7.

-nav.

10. OP
    OP
    ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Yeah, planning on replacing with OEM. If I can find a reason not to then I won’t.

I haven’t done it yet, not in a rush. Also pretty busy with other things and touch wood, haven’t had a cathastrophic crash that damaged my phone. I had a close one morning long ago two days after I got the brand new phone and I nearly cried, was lucky.

Yeah third party don’t warn you about shit. It’s dodgy. They give you two options. Option 1: Cheaper but “different” and “third party” screen. Or: Option 2: The “genuine” and likely an OEM part, nearly the same price as Apple Store replacement. I had to ask them and confirm that option 1 isn’t an OLED screen but a dodgy LCD screen instead. They didn’t like to admit to it. For $250AUD, fck that for a joke.

11. nav

nav Member

Yea, I agree. Mostly it's people in a bit of a jam needing their phone back ASAP, which is pretty much green lighting whatever they can get away with.

-nav.

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

My gf reported a similar issue after getting her S8 screen replaced by a 3rd party, and paying hundreds to do so. It just didn't feel the same as the original for a variety of reasons. But much better than the alternative of not fixing it and slowly parts of the screen going black and becoming totally unusable.

13. aokman

aokman Member

Do not use a cheap screen replacement, many are LCD's with extra circuitry to run in place of an OLED. My advice is if you want it repaired, get it done at Apple and sell it / upgrade. It is very easy to fk up a screen replacement and write the phone off.

It is one of the reasons why I support Apples stance on non-independent repair, they will fk you over at the drop of a hat.

Dilbery likes this.
  14. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

But of course if you are going to go genuine you going to pay quite a bit for it.

15. aokman

aokman Member

Of course, its an OLED screen

16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Point being it may not be economically viable depending on the phone.

17. aokman

aokman Member

Well it aint a cheap phone to begin with so people should be more careful with their devices or accept the reality of it and take responsibility. The LCD replacements are cheap for a reason, because they look trash and have a high chance of frying your phone also.

18. OP
    OP
    ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

They should still work to a reasonable standard, and last a reasonable time. You're still paying good money for the replacement.

20. aokman

aokman Member

No they won't, the LCD requires an inverter board which heavily loads the power supply rails and can cause them to heat up and short out. OLED and LCD are completely different technologies with different power requirements.

It has been covered on many repair channels when it goes south and completely bricks the phone.