iPhone XR/XS/XS Max

Discussion in 'Apple iOS (OS & Devices)' started by MR CHILLED, Jul 25, 2018.

1. aokman

aokman Member

:lol::lol::lol:

Have you looked on eBay? 3 sources have the Note 9 screen at $450 and that is without fitting... great choice!

You could always put a case on your phone or you know...dont drop it.

2. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

3. aokman

aokman Member

If you think you are definately going to break a screen then get Apple care lol. $50 screen repair.

4. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

Had case on the phone, it was an unfortunate accident and a side of jetlag. You're speaking as if I intended to drop the phone, first one in 3 iphones :lol: Though the X was proven to be incredibly fragile.

I don't generally check Ebay, or third party screen repairers because I'm not risking the waterproofing (Or lack thereof with the X) or warranty. So considering Samsung charge $320 for a screen replacement, it wasn't a bad replacement.

$320 for a <1080p display replacement, wow. Apple sure know how to fist you for money.

5. tobes

tobes Member

My iPad feel off the tray table on a plane a few years back and landed connector edge on the seat bolt. It was an ~8mm and nothing else anywhere near by it would hit. Such frustration....

6. aokman

aokman Member

Please... you broke the device, Apple dont even have to offer a screen replacement. I have never broken a screen, because I use proper cases but if I did, I wouldnt go Gen Y on Apple and blame them for it, take some responsibility for your life.

Arguably the older phones were more durable but low and behold everyone sookee that Apple were inferior for not offering wireless charging and thinner bezel so here we are...

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  7. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

The X is incredibly fragile? Nope. I've already had one 3 foot drop of my caseless X onto a wooden floor and it's survived literally without a scratch. More importantly, I posted links to droptest videos in this thread which show the caseless X and XS surviving multiple drops from up to 6 feet in height onto concrete/gravel and typically only getting some scuffing on the side bezel. Basically, the guy from jerryrigeverything who frequently makes snide remarks about Apple products winds up admitting he was wrong and that the XS is as tough as it's claimed to be.

In any case, no current device is immune to the laws of physics. Enough drops, or a single drop at just the right angle onto just the right object/surface, will result in damage as tobes' example points out.

You also indicate quite clearly that you know the reason for the high screen replacement cost: it's not so much the screen itself, it's the special construction (waterproofing/dustproofing/shockproofing) that requires a lot of time and effort to undo and reseal. Plus, as we've discussed before in this thread, the real reason for the higher cost of Apple products is twofold: 1. The Apple ecosystem and the "it just works" convenience; and 2. Because people have proven they are willing to pay a premium for this.

If you're happy with your Note 9, that's great. But please, let's not bash products with misleading information.

By the way, on the topic of wireless charging, I too was dubious as to just how useful this could be in practice. It seemed like a silly gimmick to me. Then I bought this $28 Wireless charging cradle, and it's fantastic. Popping it into the cradle is much more convenient than plugging the phone in, and the stand makes the phone much more accessible while charging.

8. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

EDIT: Meh, better to say nothing at all.

9. thecondor

thecondor Member

LOLOLOL the iphone xs is fragile as hell.

I dropped my xs max once from waist height and the back of it is totally done. Lucky I have apple care.

But dont kid youself its very fragile.

10. aokman

aokman Member

Thats what people get for wanting wirless charging.

Apple are using the strongest glass available currently just like most manufacturers.

0 interest for me unfortunately as I am always using carplay.

11. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Okey dokey, I’ll ignore the drop test videos and take your word for it :)

12. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

Thought I'd give a PSA regarding a Telstra issue

13. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

I had a play around with the XR the other day and I don't know what to think of it. The source of controversy was the screen. The XR has a lower ppi than the XS and even Plus iphones. At arms length, you really couldn't see the pixelation, but when reading words at 20-30cm away, I could see it was not quite as sharp (I have a 6S Plus). The biggest obvious difference was the colour, as the colours on the OLED's on the XS popped more compared to the XR. The bezels were thicker on the XR but not something you'd really notice unless it was side by side with the X/XS.

Second controversy was the camera, and although this has the same wide angle f1.8 from the XS, it doesn't have the telephoto lens, which I have grown to like when I use my wife's 7 Plus to snap longer range shots. I'm not sure I would want to have another single lens setup for another 2-3 years when the competition is running 2,3 and even 4 lens (Huawei Mate 20, lol). And Apple still can't pull off what Google with the Pixel can with single lens and computational photography.

Then there's the lack of 3D touch, which may not seem much to most users, but I've used it a lot on my 6S Plus in the 3 years of owning the phone.

So my conclusion is that if you have a pre-8 non-Plus iPhone, this is almost the perfect replacement if you don't mind the size. For a Plus user, especially if had/want the dual lens from the 7/8 Plus you need to weigh up your options.

Is the XS worth $400 more over the XR for the OLED screen, telephoto camera and 3D touch? Considering I use my phone every day and I only change phones on a 3-4 year basis nowadays, I think it's a no brainier that I would choose the XS. The XR is still a great phone imo, but it just doesn't tick the boxes I want.

thecondor and PersianImmortal like this.
  14. aokman

aokman Member

I almost got the XR the other day but decided to wait for a sale on the XS. eBay had 10% off the other day which was nice.

15. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

16. Zee

Zee Member

Clearly, you're planning to give it to a very good friend in the country you visit.We all need friends like you!

Z...

17. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

So many people take advantage of the TRS discount, I almost used it last year, it's fantastic :thumbup:

18. Zee

Zee Member

Pretty much the problem is, the reason a lot of people got a non-plus iPhone was because we wanted a smaller phone. Unless this iPhone SE 2 actually exists and is released, I'll be sticking with the 6s and SE until they both turn to dust.

Z...

19. special.k

special.k Member

XS Max users, anyone running a wireless charging setup? Want to get one for my bedside table but a little confused because there are a lot a negative reviews around and most dont seem to come with the power plug.

20. aokman

aokman Member

I have the Belkin 15W one and it works fine and comes with power adapter, keep in mind though it looks premium in pictures but is just plastic. Also will not work if you have a magnetic mount plate stuck on the back. I use wired charging most of the time as I CBF taking it out of the case. Wireless charging is mostly wank lol, I wish Apple never caved to market pressure and stuck with a metal back.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019