iPhone XR/XS/XS Max

Discussion in 'Apple iOS (OS & Devices)' started by MR CHILLED, Jul 25, 2018.

1. special.k

special.k Member

I will be using a case, have heard conflicting reports about how much of an issue that is. Everyone's mileage seems super varied which is throwing me off a bit, would prefer if there was one best solution ha!

2. aokman

aokman Member

Belkin rate their charger for use with a 3mm thick case I think. It will definately work through an Apple leather or silicone case by itself.

3. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

I use the IKEA one with a leather Case

4. special.k

special.k Member

A few questions; Which Ikea model? There seems to be a few and is the leather case the Apple one? It works well?

5. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

https://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/40385637/ this is the lamp I have, i've been using it with both an S10 in a spiegen case and an iphone 8 in an official leather case with no issues. My brother in law uses the mophie wireless (https://www.apple.com/au/shop/produ...d90750fb8277d0c57b7d03fc7caacbac420952366c53c) and i found that they charge quicker on this

special.k likes this.
  6. special.k

special.k Member

7. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

works giving me a free X or XR, which would you choose? I've currently got an 8

8. special.k

special.k Member

I would go an XR purely because its newer, but could make a case for either if I had to

9. clonex

clonex Member

Hows it wank, i can think of far more useless features that add no real value. it worked fine on my nokia 920's, 950xl and S8. Thats almost 8yrs of cord free charging except in the car :D

thecondor likes this.
  10. aokman

aokman Member

Cant use it with any sort of metal car mount, wears the battery out quicker, phones are more fragile thanks to the glass back and no Apple CarPlay

11. clonex

clonex Member

still dont see how its wank, those sound more like design limitations/faults.

12. aokman

aokman Member

I think it is, giving up all that just for the sake of not plugging a dam cable in... Snowflakes dont want to lift a finger for anything anymore :lol:

Id rather a phone made from full stainless that is more durable so i could ditch cases.

13. clonex

clonex Member

what are you giving up? Some wankish aesthetics?

why not titanium, heat it up to bring out that blue color? :D

14. aokman

aokman Member

A glass back that costs a fortune to replace? My iPhone 7 was caseless.

Titanium is too soft and expensive unfortunately but hey id be all for a phone made out of Inconel or Tungsten :D

15. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Wtf!??? Wireless charging is awesome :confused: As above, there's certainly been plenty more useless features added that are largely meaningless.

16. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

HEADS UP TELSTRA CUSTOMERS

Some customers in CBD locations nationally, using an iPhone XS, XS Max, XR and iPad Pro may be experiencing 4G data connection issues. 3G Voice/Data and VoLTE are not impacted.

Customers may be able to toggle "Airplane" mode on/off to temporarily improve data speeds.

Technicians and vendors are investigating to determine the cause of the issue. There is no current expected recovery time.

The_Stig likes this.
  17. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

No, wireless charging is great. I've been using it for months now using this cheap simple wireless charging stand. Works perfectly, the phone doesn't heat up, no need to mess around with plugging or unplugging the phone, just pop it onto the stand next to the bed. If you want to check the phone while in bed, just pick it up for a few minutes, pop it back on the stand, as often as you want. I'm using a caseless iPhone X.

Also, after 6 months of caseless use, my X is in pristine condition. Obviously, uses will differ, but if you use these newer glass front/back iPhones in relatively normal ways and care for them (i.e., not at construction sites or throwing them into bags filled with metallic objects), then they're extremely resilient. Overall, I'm loving the X, and since the XS is simply an improved version, I imagine people with those are equally as golden. Literally can't fault any technical aspect of the phone for my usage - the only real issue is the extremely high cost, and that's why I bought a heavily discounted new X when the XS came out; if the next model doesn't provide any substantial improvement, then it would also be a great opportunity for people to grab a cheaper XS in September.

18. special.k

special.k Member

I've just picked up an Ikea Hektar lamp with built in wireless charging and I am loving it. Obviously using it as my beside charger. Using it to charge my XS Max with a genuine Apple leather case with no issues what so ever. I expected some heat whilst charging but the phone stays nice and cool and the setup keeps my bedside table cable free, nice and neat! Highly recommended.

19. nav

nav Member

20. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Looks good, but I prefer the picture frame/cradle type stand. The heat seems largely a function of how much air gets in between the charging coils and the back of the phone.