iPhone XR/XS/XS Max

Discussion in 'Apple iOS (OS & Devices)' started by MR CHILLED, Jul 25, 2018.

1. chrissara

chrissara Member

I would lean to the phone however the dual sim part has me worried. Unlike the Android models, this is esim and dependent on the carrier. If it were true dual sim a fair few of my business users would get it.

Can’t see Telstra etc moving quickly on getting the software out to utilise the esim component quickly.

2. akqrate

akqrate Member

I used to switch between Apple and Android multiple times a year before my daughter came into this world... and to be honest it's kind of true... the Apple ecosystem just works.

Facetime always works with acceptable quality over wifi or 4G, iMessage has come leaps and bounds enough that the absence of it is enough to consider moving back to iOS, continuity just works, it's the little things that Apple have cleverly built around the good enough but very expensive hardware that makes the price tag justifiable and the move away from iOS difficult.

3. miicah

miicah Member

If you didn't have a PC, Laptop, streaming box, media player, console, DSLR or any other electronic device I could see someone justifying spending $2400 on a phone.

But most people have these things and I don't see the need to spend that much money on a social media rectangle.

4. tobes

tobes Member

Telstra already support eSIM in parts T and Apple Watch

5. Azrael

Azrael Member

Oh wow. $1699 for the base model XS. That’s a bit rich

thecondor likes this.
  6. aokman

aokman Member

Its an odd decision to offer dual SIM just in China? Why not just put it in all models and simplify production lines?

7. VIP3R

VIP3R Member

Was reading rumours that the usbc fast charger would be offered but that never happened.

2019 USB-c models incoming?

8. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Well it looks like Apple guessed right that their customers would basically pay whatever they charge. The iPhone XS Max - the most expensive of the new phones - has sold out based on pre-orders for some carrier-locked models in the US.

Checking the Aussie Apple store, the same thing seems to have happened here: the regular XS is listed as available on 21 Sept, but the XS Max is listed as being available in 1-2 weeks.

Boggles the mind to think that people not only want to pay $1,800-2,400 for a phone, they've actually gravitated towards the largest iPhone available.

9. aokman

aokman Member

At this point in time, people will pay anything for them as they can be flipped a day later for a profit guaranteed. Long term will be the real story.

10. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Hmmm. If that's the case then why did both models not sell out?

11. Zee

Zee Member

I'm seeing a lot of brand new ones (256GB XS+) for sale on FB classifieds for $2300. That's mental.

Z...

12. aokman

aokman Member

Stock has been coming and going on the site. No one wants a 64GB phone and probably the same with the 512GB. I cant even fill a 128GB anymore with Spotify etc taking over.

There are already people selling them for a premium. You havent been around many iPhone launches if you dont think this is how it plays out every year.

13. Azrael

Azrael Member

512gb? Ill be happy with 64gb i reckon.

14. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

The XS range hasn't sold out, the entire XS Max range has - so it's not about 64GB vs 512GB.

But on that topic, why on earth do people need 512GB of storage on a phone? Do you really need that much media stored locally? What are you preparing for, a Nuclear winter?

15. Goose1981

Goose1981 Member

I actually use that much, but i'm a bit of a niche case. I have ~300gb of work related stuff (journals, books, previous works, whole-heap-of-stuff, etc...) synced to it. Then probably ~100gb of other stuff.

Previously it was a huge pain as i had to use a micro-SD which would randomly unmount itself. I use android at the moment though, so the Note 9 with 512gb was good for me. Haven't had an iPhone since the 5 though, can you use an iPhone like an external USB drive?

PersianImmortal likes this.
  16. 605jimmy

605jimmy Member

They are pricey but also how many hours are everyone on them daily? I myself would be on it 3hrs possibly more as a guess. Expect my laptop for work it would be the next in line device that I'm on the most. If people don't want to fork out the $$$ simply don't buy them. Get a lower tier model or switch brands.

17. Copie

Copie Member

I run the majority of my business from mine, my usage would be in the 6-12hrs a day mark easily, not to mention it controls the bulk of my home (automation + media) It is by far and above my most heavily used device. I could easily justify spending 2.5k on a device like a phone through the business. I currently rock an iphone 8+ which is perfect for my use case (i dont need the slightly bigger screen as i rarely consume media on it and i like touchID) but if i needed a new phone i would not hesitate buying a XS Max.

As for storage, i have 256gb which is plenty im sitting on around 140gb used (podcasts and audiobooks) which gives me plenty of space to expand if needed.

18. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Fair enough if it’s for work I suppose :)

Apple doesn't make it easy to use an iPhone as or with external storage, because they want people to pay to upgrade iCloud storage. But if you're so inclined as to want lots of extra storage for work, something like this 256GB plug-in flash drive, which has both a lightning connector and a USB connector, can be had for around $180. Makes it very simple to store and transfer files between a PC and an iPhone.

19. Ron007

Ron007 Member

I think the outright price doesn’t matter to many consumers. Most are getting these on contracts, which are probably similar value to a couple of years ago since the price of mobile data is coming down. I recently got the 512gb version of note 9 with 200gb of data a month with unlimited streaming of Netflix, Stan, google play music etc for $84/month. Despite the ridiculous outright price of the phone, still not bad value.

20. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Just checked Telstra's plans and they have a flat rate of $199 full speed unlimited data for any phone up to and inc the 512GB XS max, not bad. Dunno why you would want the 64/256 models but i guess they are there for when all the 512s sell out

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018