iPhone XR/XS/XS Max

Discussion in 'Apple iOS (OS & Devices)' started by MR CHILLED, Jul 25, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Happens every time a new model is released.

2. Zee

Zee Member

I know, I know, it just surprises me that after all these years, people are still willing to pay a near 50% markup just to get it a month earlier. That's half a flight to SE Asia - with a top tier carrier!

Z...

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  3. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

FOMO.

But that actually isn't too bad. the XS Max 256GB is $2,049, so $2,300 is only profiteering a little at 12% or so. This year the stocks look a little better than usual (or there is less demand) with the blowout to month(s) of waiting still not happening. Still, people will buy from Apple, presell them at a profit and otherwise return them unopened within the 14 day window... no questions asked. Not a bad way to cash in on the hype if you've got a little capital to burn, 10% return in a week.

4. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

To back up what I said earlier about the XS Max being the popular seller this year, via macrumors:

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo forecasts that the XS Max will account for 25–30% of new iPhone model shipments.

Meanwhile, the standard XS performing poorly is not unexpected. Despite the spec boost from the A12 chip and the extra 1GB RAM to 4GB, in practice I suspect it won't be significantly faster than the current X in real world applications, and in virtually every other way is near identical to the X. This is why the iPhone X was dropped altogether by Apple after just one year, because it would cannibalise XS sales.

So I'm a happy chappy because the arrival of the latest models means I got a great deal on a brand new iPhone X ($1270) which I received today - $400 less than the equivalent iPhone XS. Getting ready to set up iOS 12 when it comes out in a few hours. The OLED display is simply superb, as is the overall build quality. I would strongly recommend that people who are balking at the high prices for the new iPhone lineup consider grabbing an X as there are some phenomenal deals to be had.

5. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Almost as unbelievable as people paying almost $2,400 for a phone!

Just crazy stuff.

Zee likes this.
  6. Sarsippius

Sarsippius Member

So my wife is one of those who would sell a kidney to have the latest iPhone although given prices these days a kidney might not be worth enough, I don't know :lol:

Anyway 10 months into her X 64GB contract and she just has to have the XS Max 256GB, $850 to upgrade her Optus contract (plus $10/mth on the plan although she now has that down to $5.50 because of a Uni student discount) and she's quickly sold her X for $1k and has actually come out ahead, crazy stuff.

7. giles666

giles666 Member

It's not just a phone, it's a high end, well speced mobile computer. Paying $2,000 for a premium mobile computer is fine. I've paid WAY more than that for every laptop I've bought in the last decade.

8. power

power Member

yet more than half of the buyers believe it is a status symbol and a fashion accessory.

9. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

I actually agree with you in that, whether we like it or not, phones are becoming THE main computing device for most people, and an iPhone, (Android vs. iOS debate aside), is actually a really amazing, complex and powerful piece of machinery. I'm old enough to remember people buying Toshiba laptops which were mediocre even for their time but which cost in excess of $3,000 back in the early '90s.

I envision a day soon when we walk around with a small, largely featureless device in our pockets or on our wrists that is our main computing device. It will be our phone, work PC, our home PC, our HTPC and gaming console, by wirelessly connecting to relevant peripherals as required: a screen and a keyboard/mouse at work, a TV and tablet-sized screen at home, etc.

What I was expressing surprise at is the number of people gravitating towards the huge XS Max, and moreso the higher storage sizes. I realise some people have a legitimate use case to make regarding the need to buy a big phone and/or one with 512GB of onboard storage. But let's face it, most people don't need a 6.5" screen compared to a 5.8" screen, nor do they need 512GB of onboard storage. The other iPhones are pretty much just as good as the top-tier XS Max for almost half the price - the XS and XR base models are $1679 and $1279 respectively vs the top end XS Max's $2,400 price tag.

So TL;DR: I'm amazed to see so many people so eager to drop an extra $1,200 for a 0.7" screen bump and a few hundred GB of onboard storage. It's their money of course, but it proves that Apple's strategy of banking on people spending much more for incremental improvements works.

10. tobes

tobes Member

I've been a plus user for a while now. So I'm leaning towards the Max but completely agree with you on Storage. I've currently got a 128Gb 7+ that I've had just short of two years and I've got heaps of breathing room on it.

11. giles666

giles666 Member

Same situation, and I went 256Gb Max. It's not much more expense to get the 256 over the 64 and gives you tons of headroom to last me the next two or three years.

tobes likes this.
  12. Alfonzo

Alfonzo Member

I've always spec'd up the memory on my iPhone becuase of the mentality of keeping my music collection with me, as well as taking heaps of photos and videos. Though these days I really don't listen to a lot of my music anymore, especially with Spotify, Apple Music and Soundcloud, not to mention podcasts and audiobooks now taking most of my listening time up. And I upload my pictures and vids to Dropbox anyway so there's little need to keep it all local.

But even that said, god these are expensive. When I look at the price I have to immediately double it because my wife and I do the same thing for upgrades and plans... and have previously bought outright. But we're now looking at a $3200 purchase for two of the base models in the smaller size, let alone if one of us wants to get the XS Max. As cool as these look, I think we will be keeping the 7's a little while longer.

13. akqrate

akqrate Member

Isn't the iPhone XR the replacement for the iPhone 7s and 8s? The pricing is fairly similar to the outgoing models plus a lot nicer tech... $1299 for the 128GB is pretty darn good. The iPhone XS/ XS Max is actually the replacement for the iPhone X... which was expensive last year too.

14. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

I went from a 128gb 7+ to a 64gb X. Haven't needed anymore in all honesty (Did also sync like 3000 songs for a recent Himalyas trip and had plenty to spare). In all honesty, I kinda wish I'd kept my 7+ instead.

15. roger895

roger895 Member

I'm sorry, but in what world is $1299 "pretty darn good" for a phone?
    The pricing is rediculous, and I can only assume Samsung will up their prices to match, because they can.

Sticking to my 128gb 7+ for now (maybe with a battery replacement given the health is at 85% now).

16. power

power Member

what's with the storage whores?

the fuck are you keeping on there???

17. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

When the top phone is over $2,300? :p

Zee likes this.
  18. Hater

Hater Member

Keep drinking that kool-aid.

The original iPhone was also a premium mobile computer, and it was US$399 sans subsidy ($199 with) for the 8GB, used cutting edge tech, etc.

MrSnuffy likes this.
  19. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

I dont get it, why? The X even has a larger screen than the 7+ (5.8 inches vs 5.5).

20. akqrate

akqrate Member

You realise your iPhone 7 Plus 128GB was $1419 at launch in Australia right?

I'll say it again, iPhone XR is pretty darn good for $1299 for 128GB... not to mention, massively overhauled from the last iPhone 8/8 Plus. The jump from iPhone 6S Plus to the iPhone 7 Plus was far less justifiable for the added features they introduced.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018